• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Trading Weekend date set for Nov 24-27

264 posts in this topic

I tried but no one wanted to even talk any trades. All goes on ebay now..
Just an observation so please don't take offense or construe it as trash talk.

You did only post three SS books which really isn't a lot to work a trade with. I know you had several variants and whatnot but I know I, for one, wouldn't really be interested in trading SS books for blue labels. I don't know if that's the case for everyone else though.

Sorry things didn't work out in your favor this time around. Don't let it get you down, there's always next time.

Here's what I've noticed. If you don't have exactly what someone is looking for, you're out of luck with 95% of everyone here. I've made two deals so far in both cases we found items in each others' posts and made a deal. No "yeah, but what else do you have?" but rather "I like that, do you see anything you like?"

You're not going to give me trinkets and get Manhattan.

Not raining on your parade here , but the problem is that people over value their books, rather than suggesting a true FMV.

And just like you, I'm not giving up two of my Mahattans for one of your trinkets.

Here's what I've noticed. If you don't have exactly what someone is looking for, you're out of luck with 95% of everyone here. I've made two deals so far in both cases we found items in each others' posts and made a deal. No "yeah, but what else do you have?" but rather "I like that, do you see anything you like?"

Not raining on your parade here , but the problem is that people over value their books, rather than suggesting a true FMV.

And just like you, I'm not giving up two of my Mahattans for one of your trinkets.

That seems to be a gray area with this niche corner, what one person considers to be a trinket another may see as a grail. There's no real standard for establishing a value. Yes I'm aware of the existence of GPA but if a book hasn't sold in a while or through a source that they collect data from sales data that's over a year old isn't very helpful for establishing a current value.

I also found most are what I call in Fantasy leagues 'Lazy traders'. I showed interest in at least 12 seller's books. I made offers or suggestions for at least 6 with only 1 counter offer. Not one single offer in 12 PM's. Most comments were simply no. The most motivated traders were clearly looking for quick cash books. The whole point of trading is to trade. If they want to sell then sell. Listing an approximate value would have helped me to make offers.

I also found most are what I call in Fantasy leagues 'Lazy traders'. I showed interest in at least 12 seller's books. I made offers or suggestions for at least 6 with only 1 counter offer. Not one single offer in 12 PM's. Most comments were simply no. The most motivated traders were clearly looking for quick cash books. The whole point of trading is to trade. If they want to sell then sell. Listing an approximate value would have helped me to make offers.
I usually start out by stating which book(s) I'm interested in and then ask if I have anything they like. For whatever reason it seems to attract low ball offers from those looking to flip the book and make a profit or no response at all. (shrug)

You came to me. I never said anything about a pair. You asked if I liked anything, I listed a couple that I like, you said no.

You came to me. I never said anything about a pair. You asked if I liked anything, I listed a couple that I like, you said no.

:hi:

I usually start out by stating which book(s) I'm interested in and then ask if I have anything they like. For whatever reason it seems to attract low ball offers from those looking to flip the book and make a profit or no response at all. (shrug)

Exactly. Lazy traders.

I think part of the problem also lies in part due to the fact that so many people become fixated on obtaining a specific book or signature. For example, a lot of people here are looking to get books from Miller & Moore. Don't misunderstand, I'm a fan of the past work of both, but I'm not interested enough in either to go through what some people are to get a SS book from them. If you look at my collection there are some nice books and some "What were you thinking?" books but I love them all. For me it's not so much about the level of difficulty of the signature but more so about obtaining a book that means something to me. One of the books I put up for trade is Teen Titans 14 signed by Nick Cardy, I sent two copies of it with the submission. If I never trade/sell one of them it doesn't matter to me, not from a financial standpoint but because from the first time I saw that cover I fell in love with it. I see it as an excellent representation of Cardy's work and am very gracious to have one let alone two copies. It was a long wait to be able to get them done, about two years but absolutely worth it. I don't expect anyone to change their perspective after reading this but maybe it will at least help make it clear that not everyone in the Signature Room is just out for profit.

I have one book in particular I posted for trade (reluctantly) that garnered quite a bit of interest. Some of the offers I got on it were fair but not really for stuff I'm that interested in. A couple were clearly cases of people trying to snag a book they could easily flip for a profit. I can understand that, I've been both buyer and seller in the 25+ years I've been in the hobby. Sometimes you just get a little tired of listening to the stories that go along with the offer that are masking the true intention behind it. I may still work out a trade on that book, I've still got two people interested but I believe they're both looking to get it for themselves not a few bucks profit a couple months down the road. My point here (sorry it took so long to get to it) is when I proposed we revive Par2ch's idea of the trade weekend that it be something that we could have fun with. I hope it has been. :blahblah:

Thanks for putting this together!

I put some more of my sketches up. Since I am still less than a year into SS collecting I don't have a bunch of extras or those that I have become less attached to. And the signature only bug hasn't bit me yet so I only have sketches in the collection.

Also thanks to those who let me bug them about trades and for those that inquired.

2 trades so far. :whee:

I will work on some more SS for the next swap meet. :)

Three suggestions

Open the thread for people to post at an arranged time instead of way too early

Arrange with the mods to leave thread editable

Post a list of venues at the beginning of the thread. I spent a lot of time looking for certain posts.

A big THANKS to all!

One day to go. :)

I traded a book that a certain board member ignored my PM on for a similarly graded book. One living legend for another living legend, i'm happy.

I'd like to apologize to anyone who might've been offended by my reluctance to trade. I definitely fit under the "looking for the perfect book" category, and I know that made it much more difficult to trade any high dollar books, so again, I'd like to apologize to anyone whose toes I might've stepped on.

I think this thread was amazing - as a newbie to SS books(and I know I am rather new to these boards, but I think I have enough of a CGC collection to have a presence on these boards), I don't have much to trade but inquired on many of your books - I think the VCC idea is a good one as I generally don't send an offer at first - rather I send a PM that I am interested to get a feel for whether or not the boardie wants to sell or just trade. Value on these is rather subjective and although that word is thrown around like :blahblah: I think a start price to get a sense of how much the piece means to the owner is a great idea. just my 2c ...

2 trades so far. :whee:

I will work on some more SS for the next swap meet. :)

Three suggestions

Open the thread for people to post at an arranged time instead of way too early

Arrange with the mods to leave thread editable

Post a list of venues at the beginning of the thread. I spent a lot of time looking for certain posts.

A big THANKS to all!

One day to go. :)

I think that first one might be my fault :( I just knew I wouldn't be able to throw books up for trade this weekend and was anxious to get them on here.

I think this thread was amazing - as a newbie to SS books(and I know I am rather new to these boards, but I think I have enough of a CGC collection to have a presence on these boards), I don't have much to trade but inquired on many of your books - I think the VCC idea is a good one as I generally don't send an offer at first - rather I send a PM that I am interested to get a feel for whether or not the boardie wants to sell or just trade. Value on these is rather subjective and although that word is thrown around like :blahblah: I think a start price to get a sense of how much the piece means to the owner is a great idea. just my 2c ...
I think someone suggested that one of the previous times we did this. The problem was only a few people who participated did it.

I just went back and added approximate trade values to my post, nothing is set in stone on these prices they're just a rough estimate.

I would like to suggest to everyone that if you have the time you do the same, this could be a big help in making trades easier.

I traded a book that a certain board member ignored my PM on for a similarly graded book. One living legend for another living legend, i'm happy.
Congratulations Pirate, you're officially on ignore. Maybe if you keep this up you'll get another suspension for trolling. I'm sick of your derision and negativity. Have a nice day. :foryou: