• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, PeterPark said:

For my money, the Red Hood first appeared in Detective 168. I wished they had just come up with a new character instead of confusing a classic origin. Rehashing is so prevalent in comics but so unsatisfying.

Very few comic collectors can afford that book relative to the Modern 1st and it's not the same character that people are now familiar with.

Edited by ygogolak

On 8/19/2021 at 6:04 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

635 was the biggest - the Hush run was a nice piece of it too, that lot usually goes for at least $100, and I've seen it as high as $150 or more.

Here's a link to what I shared in the Collection thread. Zooming in on the 635 there looks like a small tic on the lower spine, but on a good day with a good press it might still hit a 9.8:

Just wait until Damian Wayne shows up.  655 and 656 are SO cheap right now.  Pick those up while no one is thinking about it.  

On 8/24/2021 at 2:51 AM, IbukiLord said:

I mean for what they are they still sell really cheap, granted 9.8 copies go for $200+ but still $20 - $40 for those books is a steal

Relative to the current market and the potential future, maybe an argument can be made. But each of those sales you posted is more than I paid for my entire Morrison run. Now that was a steal!

On 8/23/2021 at 12:58 PM, PeterPark said:

For my money, the Red Hood first appeared in Detective 168. I wished they had just come up with a new character instead of confusing a classic origin. Rehashing is so prevalent in comics but so unsatisfying.

Because of this, it also seems you can count the number of new leading characters on one or 2 hands from the last 20-30 years. Obviously there are tons of new characters; my only point is, if you take the most relevant ones, and filter out new people taking on some kind of mantle of an old character, or old characters changing their persona, there is not a whole lot left from, say, either Marvel or DC. 

IMHO, the introduction of a multiverse, at the end of the day, is a huge copout, despite being fun and interesting. Any dilemma can be fixed with ease...multiverse!

I mostly agree, but you realize that Jason Todd took the Joker's former identity as a ':censored: you' to the guy who killed him, right?

On 8/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, Lazyboy said:

I mostly agree, but you realize that Jason Todd took the Joker's former identity as a ':censored: you' to the guy who killed him, right?

Everybody's got reasons and some of them are good. I mean from outside the in-universe or in-multiverse perspective. 

I enjoy a lot of multiverse stories because you can do anything with them, but I do recognize there is something cheap about that. 

It's a trend in so many things nowadays: character reboots, movies and tv, etc... It can be done very well but it can also be overdone. (shrug)

On 8/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, Wolverinex said:

Just wait until Damian Wayne shows up.  655 and 656 are SO cheap right now.  Pick those up while no one is thinking about it.  

I have a 655, 656 and a couple of 657s, but I should try to grab a couple more 655s. I also have a couple 666s (first Damian as Batman - kind of an Elseworlds style story for those wondering) I grabbed fairly cheap - a raw for something like $3, and a 9.6 graded newsstand that I got for $90. 

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 8/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I have a 655, 656 and a couple of 657s, but I should try to grab a couple more 655s. I also have a couple 666s (first Damian as Batman - kind if an Elseworlds style story) I grabbed fairly cheap - a raw for something like $3, and a 9.6 graded newsstand that I got for $90. 

Get the 655 variant.  That's the one

On 8/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, littledoom said:

Spider-Man One More Day is exploding .. that’s the very first ASM storyline I bought as a regular Wednesday subscriber. I loved those white Djurdjevic variant covers. I knew they’d be worth something at some point. Now do I sell?.. I think yes 

Funny. That was the *last* Spider-man storyline I bought, as they effectively wiped out Spider-man continuity since I started collecting in the late '80s

On 8/24/2021 at 11:26 AM, littledoom said:

Spider-Man One More Day is exploding .. that’s the very first ASM storyline I bought as a regular Wednesday subscriber. I loved those white Djurdjevic variant covers. I knew they’d be worth something at some point. Now do I sell?.. I think yes 

I would love to have back my Book Market Variant back of that run. 
Truly rare book.