• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2022 at 10:13 AM, Beastfeast said:

I'm selling things daily but no where near earlier in the year.  

Regarding the $4-$8 sales - I've starting not even bothering listing books unless I know I can get $15 or more.  The time to ship out a $5 book with fees just isn't worth it.  Instead, I've been doing $5 sales on Facebook groups and have been doing much better.  Basically, anything that would sell for $5-$12 on eBay gets blown out on FB or at yard sales in a $5 box.  

The few times I do list things for $5 is very old inventory that hasn't moved but still has slow sales in the $15 range.  I'll make those $5 starting auctions and whatever sells, sells.  I'd rather turn over inventory and get a smaller cash flow to make buying better books easier.  

Thats really it inventory turnover.

Why more people don't sell on here is mystifying to me. I sell 300 to 500 books in each sales thread easily.

Facebook sales do well too, but I have found payment is tougher as a failure rate is higher than ebay
What Not does well for people with time and large inventories. My local shop is selling quite a few books
on there especially books that have sat in his bins for years, but he complains their fees are almost right at ebay
levels now. So pick your poison there. 

I think everyone tends to forget summers are always slow. Many seem to think that the Covid Sales were
going to continue. You will never see that money again from comic sales in your lifetime in one year.

Slab selling alone really limits your customer base. I think we are past the days of just ebay along as seller
income.

Several long time sellers on here have great ideas I still learn stuff from them as well.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 7/29/2022 at 10:49 AM, ThothAmon said:

Since I’ve been buying and selling on eBay for nearly a century now I can honestly say it is a great time to be a buyer of mostly overpriced books.

What you lack in clarity you more than make up for in enthusiasm!  In the long run I have a feeling you will make up for any losses with volume. 

Spoiler

Haha imo it's always a sellers market. I'm not good at making a list and choosing the best option from what's available. I also dont keep up with a rumor mill, that said, I do mostly impulse purchases, which can be so random that what you said is True enough for me.

I know some like to pick up books week to week, but I dont focus on moderns. My pick ups are from week to week at a LCS,  but as you can see from registry or purchases it isnt always 9.8. Its usually what someone pawned off for consignment or whatever to the LCS, at the very least traded in.

Of course I wouldnt continue if I didnt usually break even. Even in this market, the volume of winners is more than off the cliff losses. I do make it up in volume and am ok unless I want to gamble even more on pricey 9.8's.

Tldr version to follow 

I'll agree in this market it may look I'm the loser on most, but im doing the bargain bins and picking up cheap same as everyone else, I just dont in turn sell because I dont need the money atm or pricey books would take more volume. :roflmao: than i find to then flip lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Haha imo it's always a sellers market. I'm not good at making a list and choosing the best option from what's available. I also dont keep up with a rumor mill, that said, I do mostly impulse purchases, which can be so random that what you said is True enough for me.

I know some like to pick up books week to week, but I dont focus on moderns. My pick ups are from week to week at a LCS,  but as you can see from registry or purchases it isnt always 9.8. Its usually what someone pawned off for consignment or whatever to the LCS, at the very least traded in.

Of course I wouldnt continue if I didnt usually break even. Even in this market, the volume of winners is more than off the cliff losses. I do make it up in volume and am ok unless I want to gamble even more on pricey 9.8's.

Tldr version to follow 

I'll agree in this market it may look I'm the loser on most, but im doing the bargain bins and picking up cheap same as everyone else, I just dont in turn sell because I dont need the money atm or pricey books would take more volume. :roflmao: than i find to then flip lol

lol

And ignore me, the registry awards somehow summarized these spectacular sets! I was attempting to reverberate how I collect lol

I cant wax poetic but every year the con is the same jive of spec books, I enjoy it at the time, but it's always the height of summer selling season and bam a bit of reality  :cheers:

On 7/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, fastballspecial said:

I think everyone tends to forget summers are always slow. Many seem to think that the Covid Sales were
going to continue. You will never see that money again from comic sales in your lifetime in one year.

The crux of my rants that got me thinking alls well that ends well.  :sorry:

On 7/29/2022 at 7:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have the utmost respect for how you collect. It’s like looking in the mirror except I started in’75. As far as worrying about resale after so many years of dollar cost averaging into the marketplace price fluctuations aren’t something that overly concerns me and shouldn’t you either. 

On 7/29/2022 at 7:21 PM, ThothAmon said:

I have the utmost respect for how you collect. It’s like looking in the mirror except I started in’75. As far as worrying about resale after so many years of dollar cost averaging into the marketplace price fluctuations aren’t something that overly concerns me and shouldn’t you either. 

I appreciate you taking the time short and sweet. I just needed the kick to stop tilting at the windmill lol

Sometimes reflections are needed. Bless you!:angel:

Why more people don't sell on here is mystifying to me. I sell 300 to 500 books in each sales thread easily.

Facebook sales do well too, but I have found payment is tougher as a failure rate is higher than ebay
What Not does well for people with time and large inventories. My local shop is selling quite a few books
on there especially books that have sat in his bins for years, but he complains their fees are almost right at ebay

Slab selling alone really limits your customer base. I think we are past the days of just ebay along as seller
income.

Several long time sellers on here have great ideas I still learn stuff from them as well.

Once my shows are done in September I plan to have a sales thread here of $5 and $10 books 

Here's a selling anecdote:

I've had 3 garage sales over the last 4 months heavily advertising comics.  The first one in April was PACKED.  Had people waiting for me to finish setting up and sold $600+ in $2 and $5 books.  The second one was mainly comic focused and I had added at least a long box of new $2 books and a short of $5 books.  I had 2 people all day and made $50.  The one I just finished today (with way more books added) had about 4 comic buyers and sold maybe $75 max.  

I'm also noticing that when I go to garage and estate sales with comics, I'm not seeing a lot of the dudes who were going hard in late 2021 and early 2022.  I'm showing up 20 minutes early and I'm the only one there for comics.  Places that used to have decent competition between people digging are turning up more and better stuff.  I think a lot of the people who were fair-weather comic people are either jumping ship or just slowing down as sales do the same.  

What that all means? (shrug)

Edited by Beastfeast

On 7/30/2022 at 9:00 PM, Beastfeast said:

I've had 3 garage sales over the last 4 months heavily advertising comics.  The first one in April was PACKED.  Had people waiting for me to finish setting up and sold $600+ in $2 and $5 books.  The second one was mainly comic focused and I had added at least a long box of new $2 books and a short of $5 books.  I had 2 people all day and made $50.  The one I just finished today (with way more books added) had about 4 comic buyers and sold maybe $75 max.  

I'm also noticing that when I go to garage and estate sales with comics, I'm not seeing a lot of the dudes who were going hard in late 2021 and early 2022.  I'm showing up 20 minutes early and I'm the only one there for comics.  Places that used to have decent competition between people digging are turning up more and better stuff.  I think a lot of the people who were fair-weather comic people are either jumping ship or just slowing down as sales do the same.  

3 sales in a short time with low dollar books. Do you add new inventory?

There will always be low dollar buyers for reading. What's driven the higher prices and volume is resale value.

On 7/30/2022 at 10:11 PM, ygogolak said:

3 sales in a short time with low dollar books. Do you add new inventory?

There will always be low dollar buyers for reading. What's driven the higher prices and volume is resale value.

Dig it...It's not exactly a data point that means much.  Yes, Inventory is always added and I have a rep of having pretty damn good $5 boxes.  Plus things that aren't hot anymore get moved into the bulk boxes.  

To the bolded part:  Yeah, that's what's happening.  Since prices are falling, the volume of sales is falling.  What was a good buy last year at $5 is now a questionable one.  

On 7/30/2022 at 10:15 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I’d add that there are other competitors for those priced books that are now in play that weren’t in April 

conventions

Sort of.  In FL, small indoor shows have been going since early 2021 (probably before then, too.  I didn't get back to the state until March 2021).  During the 4 month time frame, 2 small shows happened and both had VERY few comic vendors.  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 7/30/2022 at 7:00 PM, Beastfeast said:

Less competition means it is a great time to buy for reasonable prices, especially if you can just cherry pick keys from estate/garage sales. Now is the time to accumulate good stuff at depressed prices.

income.

Just signed up as a seller on Whatnot. Plan on listing stuff after a little more study of sales patterns. So far, they seem somewhat inconsistent. After 21 years on eBay, selling is pretty simple. Have only invested 1 month buying on Whatnot. Still excited about it. Spent an hour last night watching Liefeld doing Deadpool sketches and selling old preliminaries. His stuff brought crazy money. It was a fun show. 

Edited by the authority

On 8/2/2022 at 7:41 PM, the authority said:

Just signed up as a seller on Whatnot. Plan on listing stuff after a little more study of sales patterns. So far, they seem somewhat inconsistent. After 21 years on eBay, selling is pretty simple. Have only invested 1 month buying on Whatnot. Still excited about it. Spent an hour last night watching Liefeld doing Deadpool sketches and selling old preliminaries. His stuff brought crazy money. It was a fun show. 

As a consumer, WhatNot prices are insanely all over the board. Some quarter-bin books will sell for $20 and other $20 books go for a $1. That whole "You never know what you might get" vibe is what makes it fun for me the consumer. Usually though, it seems that if you have at least 20 people in the room, the book tends to get close to the going rate. It's always hard to tell condition, so I think that tends to chill bids. I act more as a price fluffer/bottom feeder, bidding only while the price is nominal in the hope of snagging a deal. good luck on your sales.