• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,821 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2022 at 2:44 PM, Brock said:

I sort of went in the opposite direction... I was an early Morrison fan, but have found most of what he's done in the last decade pretty unreadable.

Really hit or miss for me. 

WE3 was fantastic.   X-men was so odd at the time, but it was a good odd. 

But much of the recent Batman run was awful, IMO.  The Zur En Arrh was not my cup of tea. 

Patrick

On 9/6/2022 at 10:07 AM, F For Fake said:

Even if they'd only ever done Animal Man and Doom Patrol, that would be enough to make me ride-or-die with Grant Morrison. Two of my all time faves. Also loved Invisibles, New X-Men, JLA, We3, and a bunch more. Oh man, All Star Superman! How could I forget? I gotta say, the highlights are so numerous, and SO high, that I tend to forgive the lesser works. 

I have generally lost touch with modern comics over the last 5 years or so, so I really don't know what Grant has been up to recently. But whatever they do, I'd give it a shot, just based on my love for the older stuff. I think the last series I read by them was Nameless, which I got a kick out of. I guess I should get caught up on the stuff I missed.

He recently co-wrote Proctor Valley Road for Boom, with a screen writer, so I imagine there's a chance for an adaptation there. 

On 9/6/2022 at 9:07 AM, F For Fake said:

Even if they'd only ever done Animal Man and Doom Patrol, that would be enough to make me ride-or-die with Grant Morrison. Two of my all time faves. Also loved Invisibles, New X-Men, JLA, We3, and a bunch more. Oh man, All Star Superman! How could I forget? I gotta say, the highlights are so numerous, and SO high, that I tend to forgive the lesser works. 

I have generally lost touch with modern comics over the last 5 years or so, so I really don't know what Grant has been up to recently. But whatever they do, I'd give it a shot, just based on my love for the older stuff. I think the last series I read by them was Nameless, which I got a kick out of. I guess I should get caught up on the stuff I missed.

Years ago, Kevin Smith did a "Fatman on Batman" podcast with Grant - I found it to be fairly interesting at the time; I might have to give it another listen. It's really long, but it was great back when I was commuting 2 hours a day for work. I found it on YouTube, not sure if it's still out there on any podcast platforms:

On 9/5/2022 at 8:52 PM, followtheleader said:

But much of the recent Batman run was awful, IMO.  The Zur En Arrh was not my cup of tea. 

Patrick

Oh man, I really got into the Zur En Arrh stuff for some reason, I just really liked Grant's Batman run. I still need to get a Batman 113 (the first appearance of Zur En Arrh from 1958), but I was glad to pick these up over the past couple of years:

Batman-679.thumb.JPG.50344ce223dfc8d9a8037c8a6038e68c.JPG

631264655_blackcasebook.thumb.JPG.a705d1cbc46ef956472af5d11272b798.JPG

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 9/5/2022 at 7:52 PM, followtheleader said:

Patrick

I did not care for the Morrison Batman run at all, but I know others that liked it. FWIW, I do not like Morrison's writing as a whole - he is overrated in my books. To each their own.

Morrison is also very much hit-or-miss with me as well, with the misses being as huge as the hits.  I find it baffling that the same person that wrote WE3 and Animal Man also wrote Final Crisis.  
Their New X-Men started off strong, then lost me along the way.  
I do really need to read All-Star Superman.  I read the first issue and was like, "meh."  But it won an Eisner so it can't be all that bad  ;)  

Edited by djzombi

On 9/7/2022 at 6:39 AM, Brock said:

The Fantastic Four: Full Circle limited edition Previews Exclusive slipcase hardcover by Alex Ross released last week at $40 is selling for about $150, but I haven’t seen much online chatter about it yet.

All be the first two admit I don't talk about trade sales here. Its an extremely lucrative part of the industry when you understand what you 
should be looking for. There are many trades, HCs and omnibuses that sell very well. Many shops and hobbyists ignore them. 

I picked up a Galactus The Devourer Trade other day at a show for $4. I knew it was rare because I had never seen it before ever. 
Its those type of picks ups that do even much better than comics in general.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:03 AM, kimik said:

You can tell the market is cool right now based on the lack of posts on the boards across all ages of books.

lol I thought the boards themselves might have expired, it HAS been slow. Usually there are posts of what is "hot" as if everyone is selling, it gets tough to see no one posting acquisitions, but there have been a few :cheers: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/9/2022 at 10:14 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol I thought the boards themselves might have expired, it HAS been slow. Usually there are posts of what is "hot" as if everyone is selling, it gets tough to see no one posting acquisitions, but there have been a few :cheers: 

The most activity is either complaint threads in CG or the TV/Movie section now. 

Maybe D23 will pick things up again this weekend.

Edited by kimik

On 9/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yeah, I haven't seen much pop up on my radar spec-wise in, oh, the last month or so. I did pick up that FF Full Circle GN on a whim when it first came out, so I am happy about that.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:14 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know for me, buying has taken a back seat (kind of) for now - we had a couple of family trips this summer, I needed new tires ($1,000! Ouch!) and the holidays are coming up, so we're slowing our spending a bit. I think there are probably a lot of people who've had to buckle down a bit more recently too. My eBay sales are almost non-existent the past month or two. I did just pick up some TMNT books to help fill my run, got a sweet deal on a What If Venom Possessed Deadpool on Whatnot, and scored a Usagi Neca figure from Target before they sold out though, but they're not in-hand yet.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, kimik said:

eBay has been interesting. It was fairly cold for me in August up until the last week. Since then both sportscards and comics are selling well. It looks like the old buying patterns may be coming back.

Agreed - more traffic definitely. It was a Mark Twain August. :bigsmile: