• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,833 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 6:14 PM, fastballspecial said:

Its the detail people love. This cover is not a must for me I dont like it, but I can appreciate
the talent it took to make it.

Perez is the same way with some of his work. 

I agree it’s very detailed, but his covers just don’t cause me to want to buy the comic - or spend extra for a variant-covered comic of his.

But, I don’t find many covers these days that inspire me to buy a comic just because of the cover.

On 8/31/2022 at 2:09 PM, WhatNow? said:

Can anyone tell me more about the Bad Idea Previews catalog that came out today?

Bad Idea snuck a preview of one of their upcoming books in this month’s Previews, which came out last week. 

Bad Idea books are not available through Previews and shops must order directly from Bad Idea, so it was a surprise that a Bad Idea book would be previewed in Previews.

Bad Idea fans chase down any random thing associated with them, so some people are trying to track down a copy of the catalog.  

On 9/1/2022 at 12:59 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Bad Idea snuck a preview of one of their upcoming books in this month’s Previews, which came out last week. 

Bad Idea books are not available through Previews and shops must order directly from Bad Idea, so it was a surprise that a Bad Idea book would be previewed in Previews.

Bad Idea fans chase down any random thing associated with them, so some people are trying to track down a copy of the catalog.  

Sometime during the first wave of Bad Idea books, I think they struck a deal with Diamond so that they still distribute books to stores, even though you can't order the books through them. So there is a relationship there. 

On 8/31/2022 at 8:55 PM, Timeless icons said:

Probably hold on to them for a while. I bought most of them a while ago because I like Skaar quite a bit. See what happens. hm

@Greggy

Meaning, I had no plans to but it wouldn't be the first time I've sold books that I had intentions of keeping. 

On 9/1/2022 at 10:38 AM, WolverineX said:

Yeah it's a wimmelbilder style.. like where's waldo.  It's meticulously hand-drawn and some people enjoy the small details he hides in it.  

To me, his style is very striking, esp in black and white.   Love his OA.

https://inkyknuckles.com/filya-bratukhin

299bfcd5f334b5b53a36fc2e53bd1456.png?for

jZiKR5Uq_2202171247041gpadd.jpg?format=5

It has a Geof Darrow sensibility and approach

I like it. I find it engaging.

I would like to see an entire limited series in this

On 9/2/2022 at 10:55 AM, D2 said:

It has a Geof Darrow sensibility and approach

I like it. I find it engaging.

I would like to see an entire limited series in this

I do like it, but at the same time, I think this is what Sergio Aragones art would look like if he took his art in a darker direction.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:24 PM, WolverineX said:

Ironically enough,   agent of Worlde 1 OA dropped for sale yesterday on that website. His agent tweeted it out yesterday. Pretty reasonable prices but several bigger pieces have already sold... when I logged on this afternoon.  

https://inkyknuckles.com/filya-bratukhin

Some of those prices as a momento makes sense, I'd imagine later it won't be as easy and will be distributed differently. 

On 9/2/2022 at 7:21 PM, D2 said:

How is this? Have you read it? I’ll pick it up for sure but just curious on the advanced screening lol

The narrative I found to be a little impenetrable at first, as you jump right into the story and you're not really sure what's going on.

Bratukhin's art gives the story a claustrophobic feel, though the line work is so detailed you will stop and stare at certain pages.

The writer is clearly either directly influenced by Grant Morrison or is trying to replicate his style, and I'm not sure he's completely successful in doing so. It reads like a lot of comics from the early 2000s when everyone was trying to be the next Morrison or Warren Ellis and over explain their zany science concepts. 

I was going to bail after issue one as I was reading it but the twistish ending was intriguing enough that I was sucked in to read issue two, which I ordered through mycomicshop. 

On 9/3/2022 at 7:46 AM, Ryan. said:

The narrative I found to be a little impenetrable at first, as you jump right into the story and you're not really sure what's going on.

Bratukhin's art gives the story a claustrophobic feel, though the line work is so detailed you will stop and stare at certain pages.

The writer is clearly either directly influenced by Grant Morrison or is trying to replicate his style, and I'm not sure he's completely successful in doing so. It reads like a lot of comics from the early 2000s when everyone was trying to be the next Morrison or Warren Ellis and over explain their zany science concepts. 

I was going to bail after issue one as I was reading it but the twistish ending was intriguing enough that I was sucked in to read issue two, which I ordered through mycomicshop. 

Hm

that is not a glowing review hahah. 

I will crack it open and give it a try and report back. 

I’m not a fan of Grant Morrison’s work, at all. 
So this will be a short trip if that’s the case. 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:20 PM, D2 said:

Hm

that is not a glowing review hahah. 

I will crack it open and give it a try and report back. 

I’m not a fan of Grant Morrison’s work, at all. 
So this will be a short trip if that’s the case. 

Yes, I think you would only buy that series for the art,  not story... unless the second issue is much better

On 9/4/2022 at 5:47 PM, Corona smith said:

Not even his Doom Patrol, JLA, or New X-Men runs?! 

It took me awhile to warm up to Morrison. As I read more of his stuff I like it better. 
He was just different then what I was used to in the 80s and 90s. I really wish he 
would get better artists though. I think his talent is wasted sometimes. 

On 9/4/2022 at 8:57 PM, fastballspecial said:

It took me awhile to warm up to Morrison. As I read more of his stuff I like it better. 
He was just different then what I was used to in the 80s and 90s. I really wish he 
would get better artists though. I think his talent is wasted sometimes. 

I sort of went in the opposite direction... I was an early Morrison fan, but have found most of what he's done in the last decade pretty unreadable.