• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Is there actual evidence of these whatnot and other live auctions books being paid for is my question? If not I have a feeling these aren’t actual sales. I wouldn’t doubt shill bidding and market manipulation in some as well. 

I keep getting notifications from eBay for Torpedo Comics live auctions. I follow them because it’s owned by the drummer from System of a Down. 

Edited by Corona smith

On 7/6/2023 at 3:15 AM, Corona smith said:

Is there actual evidence of these whatnot and other live auctions books being paid for is my question?

The sellers know immediately whether a payment goes through after every auction. The buyer is hit with the payment as soon as they win. I suspect (but am not positive) that with ebay live you still have to go through checkout which would probably result in higher amount of non-payments.

On 7/6/2023 at 6:35 AM, smarkjobber said:

The sellers know immediately whether a payment goes through after every auction. The buyer is hit with the payment as soon as they win. I suspect (but am not positive) that with ebay live you still have to go through checkout which would probably result in higher amount of non-payments.

Correct, Whatnot your card is stored and you are billed right when you win an auction.

On 7/9/2023 at 1:09 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Anything from Benjamin Noble discussing "rare newsstand variants". That site - and all the other ones and I AM BENEFITING FROM THEM - conflate print runs with availability of newsstand copies in the marketplace. Those two numbers are NOT THE SAME.

Any site that gives a ratio of any number of newsstands - Benjamin Noble, Chuck Rosanski, ANYONE - is pulling numbers out of their as no one knows anything.

Have you been hacked by lazyboy :jawdrop:

The 'no one knows anything' line is severely over the top.

We know the fundamentals quite well, and we know the era's of newsstand ratio's quite well.   No one is going to give exact numbers as that is impossible, but there is heck of a lot information on newsstand editions that is very well known, and understood.

On 7/9/2023 at 9:52 PM, Microchip said:

Have you been hacked by lazyboy :jawdrop:

The 'no one knows anything' line is severely over the top.

We know the fundamentals quite well, and we know the era's of newsstand ratio's quite well.   No one is going to give exact numbers as that is impossible, but there is heck of a lot information on newsstand editions that is very well known, and understood.

The numbers we have are mostly speculation, as companies don't release the numbers.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:01 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The numbers we have are mostly speculation, as companies don't release the numbers.

My sentiment was more around the numbers not being the whole story, very much far from it.   

The ratio's between Direct editions, and newsstand editions in the various era's is only the starting point, and not the conclusion.  

The open anecdotes of collectors out there actively pursuing newsstand books, and the prices key newsstand books are reaching tells a very clear picture.

The most compelling book illustrating the hyperbole and rarity around newsstand editions vs direct editions is of course Ultimate Fallout 4.

GPA Data:

CGC 9.8 universal, 2,056 recorded sales.

CGC 9.8 newsstand, 1 recorded sales.

CGC 9.6 universal, 1,972 recorded sales.

CGC 9.6 newsstand, 2 recorded sales. 

CGC 9.4 universal, 1,109 recorded sales.

CGC 9.4 newsstand, 5 recorded sales. 

The planet has/is being scoured high and low in search of this book.   The prices paid for newsstand copies over regular editions are simply astronomical right now.   

On 7/9/2023 at 10:21 PM, Microchip said:

My sentiment was more around the numbers not being the whole story, very much far from it.   

The ratio's between Direct editions, and newsstand editions in the various era's is only the starting point, and not the conclusion.  

The open anecdotes of collectors out there actively pursuing newsstand books, and the prices key newsstand books are reaching tells a very clear picture.

The most compelling book illustrating the hyperbole and rarity around newsstand editions vs direct editions is of course Ultimate Fallout 4.

GPA Data:

The planet has/is being scoured high and low in search of this book.   The prices paid for newsstand copies over regular editions are simply astronomical right now.   

But has GPA been tracking Newsstand as its own category the entire time? I know for sure that there are some books that I've looked up that have grouped the Newsstand sales and Direct sales together.

On 7/9/2023 at 10:21 PM, Microchip said:

GPA Data:

Oh. My. God.

Here we go again.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY STOP CONFLATING PRINT RUNS WITH AVAILABLE BOOKS IN THE MARKETPLACE.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:55 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Oh. My. God.

Here we go again.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY STOP CONFLATING PRINT RUNS WITH AVAILABLE BOOKS IN THE MARKETPLACE.

Who are you talking to??

I'm not interested in print run numbers.

<deep breaths>

<another deep breath>

The question was asked who was passing erroneous information as fact.

'Benjamin Noble and anyone else who says there is a 1:100 PRINT RUN DIFFERENCE between newsstand and direct editions is passing information that is - at best - a mildly informed guess as fact. There is absolutely no information about PRINT RUNS available on ANY BOOK since Statement of Ownership statements were stopped. Anyone who makes blanket empirical numerical numbers about PRINT RUNS is making things up.

I am NOT - for the zillionth effing time - talking about books available in the marketplace.

On 7/10/2023 at 1:16 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I am NOT - for the zillionth effing time - talking about books available in the marketplace.

So you're not interested in print runs, got it.

And you're not interested in the market place performance, sales data, volumes and prices.

So the alternative to this is what exactly?

I'm really struggling to see where you're going with this.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:16 PM, FlyingDonut said:

<deep breaths>

<another deep breath>

'Benjamin Noble and anyone else who says there is a 1:100 PRINT RUN DIFFERENCE between newsstand and direct editions is passing information that is - at best - a mildly informed guess as fact. There is absolutely no information about PRINT RUNS available on ANY BOOK since Statement of Ownership statements were stopped. Anyone who makes blanket empirical numerical numbers about PRINT RUNS is making things up.

Are you sure this last statement is what you intended? If you dismiss the print run numbers, you ARE talking about books available in the marketplace, no? Or is there a third choice?

On 7/9/2023 at 11:21 PM, Lightning55 said:

Are you sure this last statement is what you intended? If you dismiss the print run numbers, you ARE talking about books available in the marketplace, no? Or is there a third choice?

Nobody has marketplace numbers. feeBay is not the market and it is certainly not the world. GPA is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of historical comic book sales.

On 7/9/2023 at 10:16 PM, FlyingDonut said:

<deep breaths>

<another deep breath>

To be fair, they often say they're talking about distribution rather than print run numbers. Of course, they then say that since Newsstands were returnable, we need to drop those (already inaccurate) numbers even more, as if distribution isn't already print runs minus returns. Plus, they rarely, if ever, acknowledge the endemic fraud in the newsstand system that means some "returns" still exist.

On 7/11/2023 at 2:20 PM, Lazyboy said:

Nobody has marketplace numbers. feeBay is not the market and it is certainly not the world. GPA is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of historical comic book sales.

I agree. There is no one comprehensive body that is all-encompassing. I remember all the discussion and furore from many years ago regarding Valiant titles, and the scarcity of certain regular issues. The variants further complicated matters. To this day no one has exact numbers on the print runs, and even reputable sites like Recalled Comics admit there is a degree of speculation.

By the by, should this discussion have its own thread?

On 7/11/2023 at 2:16 AM, World Devourer said:

I agree. There is no one comprehensive body that is all-encompassing. I remember all the discussion and furore from many years ago regarding Valiant titles, and the scarcity of certain regular issues. The variants further complicated matters. To this day no one has exact numbers on the print runs, and even reputable sites like Recalled Comics admit there is a degree of speculation.

By the by, should this discussion have its own thread?

Why?  I don’t see anyone clambering to post up hot modern books.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:34 PM, kimik said:

Ultimate Fallout 4 newsstand edition is red hot.

How can you tell?  They are so rare that it looks like they have been in very high demand for quite a while.  The prices I see being realized are pretty crazy so I do agree it's hot but hard to define it as red hot when there is only a handful of copies that have sold over the last few months.