• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,822 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2023 at 12:19 PM, the authority said:

It’s buy or hold time depending on your situation. There are so many cheap books right now that it’s hard to get top dollar for anything. The bad thing is that not everyone can afford to just sit on their collection or add to it. Here’s hoping you can 👍

Agreed. I said this a few months ago. I have a number of items that have been sitting on Ebay for months. Fortunately I'm able to " stay in harbour" until the storm passes. 

That said, I suspect said storm won't clear up until 2024.

:facepalm:

On 5/18/2023 at 3:18 PM, FlyingDonut said:
On 5/18/2023 at 10:19 AM, Tnexus said:

Spoiler Ahead:

Reveal hidden contents

Kamala Khan

I'll bet seven dollars American that the character gets better by November 10.

Definitely. A new 1st issue to go with the movie.

That being said, let there be a few weeks at $20-$30 to sell into.

Edited by kimik

On 5/19/2023 at 8:24 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:

We'll see how much steam this one has...

Screenshot_20230519_082221_eBay.jpg

So I have never seen this, from the retailer page: "INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED ON CGC LABEL # of 200...CGC will take possession of the entire print run and permanently dispose of any and all Overage."

Any idea what CGC's premium on this is? Custom labels and "disposing" of less than 9.8s?

On 5/19/2023 at 8:22 PM, smarkjobber said:

So I have never seen this, from the retailer page: "INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED ON CGC LABEL # of 200...CGC will take possession of the entire print run and permanently dispose of any and all Overage."

Any idea what CGC's premium on this is? Custom labels and "disposing" of less than 9.8s?

Edge of venomverse 1 Martina ultimate edition (another grading company) would be a good barometer. This is the first book (I believe) where all copies were slabbed up to a certain qty

Edited by devald

On 5/19/2023 at 7:23 PM, devald said:

This would be a good barometer. This is  the first book (I believe) where all copies were slabbed up to a certain qtyIMG_4644.thumb.jpeg.b8803ea808fb64baa937b836b9ae1ee7.jpeg

Does not look like a CGC slab to me....

On 5/19/2023 at 7:22 PM, smarkjobber said:

On 5/19/2023 at 9:23 PM, devald said:

Edge of venomverse 1 Martina ultimate edition (another grading company) would be a good barometer. This is the first book (I believe) where all copies were slabbed up to a certain qty

There have been others . BTC did the Superman Gold. 

On 5/20/2023 at 3:18 AM, Corona smith said:

So CGC has no time for the graders to open moderns or for quality control but their going to start participating in destroying books to artificially inflate the value?! 

Still just trying to figure out how exactly this service is offered. Do retailers pitch this kind of "project" to them and CGC quotes a price? Does CGC get somethin besides the fees for grading the one book plus custom labels (eg promise of x number of submissions/business from that retailer)? Or is there a secret menu for all retailers and they could have all been requesting this service but it is considered too cost prohibitive so we rarely see it?

This just feels like a weird step beyond Signature Series in terms of participating in the hobby themselves.

On 5/20/2023 at 4:18 AM, Corona smith said:

So CGC has no time for the graders to open moderns or for quality control but their going to start participating in destroying books to artificially inflate the value?! 

I wonder if the "excess copies" will be disposed of in a manner similar to "excess" Marvel and DC variants that show up in Walmart packs over time.......

On 5/20/2023 at 6:15 AM, smarkjobber said:

Still just trying to figure out how exactly this service is offered. Do retailers pitch this kind of "project" to them and CGC quotes a price? Does CGC get somethin besides the fees for grading the one book plus custom labels (eg promise of x number of submissions/business from that retailer)? Or is there a secret menu for all retailers and they could have all been requesting this service but it is considered too cost prohibitive so we rarely see it?

This just feels like a weird step beyond Signature Series in terms of participating in the hobby themselves.

Several wondered this with the other books that have been done this way, but they didn't disclose price or options.  Neither did CGC. 

On 5/20/2023 at 2:18 PM, kimik said:

I wonder if the "excess copies" will be disposed of in a manner similar to "excess" Marvel and DC variants that show up in Walmart packs over time.......

This was discussed about the "Gold" Superman books. Supposedly the whole print run (not exactly sure on the minimum number but somewhere near 1,000) books were printed.  Then shipped directly to CGC. Then CGC was supposed to go through and grade 300 of them at least 9.8+  the rest were supposed to be destroyed by CGC so that no copies would be out in circulation that were not graded. 

Although at least 1 or 2 hit ebay raw and if I remember correctly there was a scramble to try to find out how as the graded ones had not made it back as there were issues with the grading process/ new cases and the highly reflective foil and they were delayed.  

Some speculation that they might have been printers proof copies .

On 5/22/2023 at 10:06 PM, Mr. Spider-Woman said:

Where is this variant coming from? Don't store variants require a minimum of 3000 copies for Marvel to fire up the presses?

EDIT: A quick Google search shows the variant was sold online by a few comic shops for $199.

You could order 3000, pick out the top 400, send to CGC and screen for 9.8.  Get them to only slab 200, charge $10 reject fee for the other 200. When they all come back, destroy any not slabbed (2800). Now you have a 200 at 9.8, super exclusive, only 200 exist. Charge crazy money to make up for the 2800 lost and related costs. You lose a few thousand $$$, but make tens of thousands. 

On 5/22/2023 at 8:00 PM, Lightning55 said:

You could order 3000, pick out the top 400, send to CGC and screen for 9.8.  Get them to only slab 200, charge $10 reject fee for the other 200. When they all come back, destroy any not slabbed (2800). Now you have a 200 at 9.8, super exclusive, only 200 exist. Charge crazy money to make up for the 2800 lost and related costs. You lose a few thousand $$$, but make tens of thousands. 

Yeah, they sold out at $200 a pop -- so $40k gross. Let's say Marvel charges $3-6k (?) for 3,000 trade dress. Artist gets a $3-5k for the cover. CGC slabs 200 moderns for around $5k plus whatever surcharge for the numbered label and disposal. Net 20+ grand?

On 5/22/2023 at 11:00 PM, Lightning55 said:

On 5/22/2023 at 11:39 PM, smarkjobber said:

Yeah, they sold out at $200 a pop -- so $40k gross. Let's say Marvel charges $3-6k (?) for 3,000 trade dress. Artist gets a $3-5k for the cover. CGC slabs 200 moderns for around $5k plus whatever surcharge for the numbered label and disposal. Net 20+ grand?

That makes sense. I guess I didn't realize how "cheap" it is to have your own variant printed by Marvel. Obviously the economics work out for the stores involved or else they wouldn't be doing it.

However, how did these stores know this particular issue was going to be a big one and have the foresight to order the variant and set up the CGC slabbing?

Edited by Mr. Spider-Woman