• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

It's been an interesting,

I took our son to a LCS to check out some Simpson and Muppet comics. While I was browsing I ran into a small stack of Fatale #1 2nd prints and a stack of Fatale # 2s. So I grabbed both stacks but when it came time to check out, the dealer told me I could only buy one of each? Is this standard LCS practice?

Now for the rest of the story,

The above wasn't my normal LCS I like to visit, it was just more convient at the time. Well after I was denyed buying those books. I decided I would go ask my usual crack dealer. So I walk in the store and first thing I asked the owner, do you have a limit on books, the owner's reply, yes, what ever you see on the shelves. So I asked, if say you just got a stack of Batmans for example, I could buy them all, his reply was yes. So I proceeded to see if he had any Fatale's on hand and there they was, two complete sets of first prints :grin: I grabbed all four plus a couple Fatale # 2s and headed for the door. The dealer never blinked once about it.

I guess I should thank the first LCS, if I had been allowed to buy his 2nd prints, I wouldn't have looked else where and never found the 1st prints.

I took our son to a LCS to check out some Simpson and Muppet comics. While I was browsing I ran into a small stack of Fatale #1 2nd prints and a stack of Fatale # 2s. So I grabbed both stacks but when it came time to check out, the dealer told me I could only buy one of each? Is this standard LCS practice?

The above wasn't my normal LCS I like to visit, it was just more convient at the time. Well after I was denyed buying those books. I decided I would go ask my usual crack dealer. So I walk in the store and first thing I asked the owner, do you have a limit on books, the owner's reply, yes, what ever you see on the shelves. So I asked, if say you just got a stack of Batmans for example, I could buy them all, his reply was yes. So I proceeded to see if he had any Fatale's on hand and there they was, two complete sets of first prints :grin: I grabbed all four plus a couple Fatale # 2s and headed for the door. The dealer never blinked once about it.

I guess I should thank the first LCS, if I had been allowed to buy his 2nd prints, I wouldn't have looked else where and never found the 1st prints.

I've had similar things happen. The only thing that it's done is the same thing that your experience did for you: I basically now shop almost exclusively at my old LCS (Lee's comics in Mountain View). Even though it's a 45 minute drive from my home, I tend to be in the area every week anyway for work, so it's not a big deal. Still, I find it baffling when LCS' don't want to sell their products to customers. Comic shops that are serious about making sure that their customers get their books offer really flexible and easy subscription programs.

I've had similar things happen. The only thing that it's done is the same thing that your experience did for you: I basically now shop almost exclusively at my old LCS (Lee's comics in Mountain View). Even though it's a 45 minute drive from my home, I tend to be in the area every week anyway for work, so it's not a big deal. Still, I find it baffling when LCS' don't want to sell their products to customers. Comic shops that are serious about making sure that their customers get their books offer really flexible and easy subscription programs.

Yes sir, instead he turned down about 20.00-30.00 in sales.

I ran into the same thing with toys-r-us with hot wheels and Star Wars. They actually had signs posted limited one! I would go bankrupt if I turned customers away.

Alright I broke down and bought both covers of 1 1st prints. I only needed one to read, but I couldnt pass up the beauty cover. I payed $5.25 each + shipping. They still can be found cheap.

depends on where you are, No sure there's many online stores that's selling the 1st prints close to cover price right now. They're all sold out. Even the 2nd printing is sold out. I'm sure there's some online store somewhere that has them but not many.

At $5.25 a pop i would have bought them all.

Edited by krighton

Jericho Sets(1-6) are still selling well at $40-50 even after the series has been cancelled. I think this set will stay selling well due to people watching the show thru Netflix and then realizing the next season is only in comics.

This has picked up strength, I sell sets on ebay for $75 and amazon for $109.00

As far as the books contents, and the cancelled series, I have never watched or read them, but what ever it is about this property fans sure don't mind forking over the money for it.

I was a big fan of the show. I picked up all the comics but from moving last year I somehow lost issue #1. How in the hell I misplaced just one issue is beyond me.

A big part of this is most likely the fact that you aren't a regular customer. Why would this shop owner want a one time customer to buy up all his stock andpiss off his regular $40-50 week customers because they can't get the hot book.

Long term sustained revenue beats short term burst in every sustainable business model.

A big part of this is most likely the fact that you aren't a regular customer. Why would this shop owner want a one time customer to buy up all his stock andpiss off his regular $40-50 week customers because they can't get the hot book.

Long term sustained revenue beats short term burst in every sustainable business model.

Ya, I've heard this before but why not install boxes or a subscription system? We had boxes at my old LCS and it worked great. Anyhow, the owner was nice but he has the right to refuse business the same way I have the right to shop else where.

Ya, I've heard this before but why not install boxes or a subscription system? We had boxes at my old LCS and it worked great. Anyhow, the owner was nice but he has the right to refuse business the same way I have the right to shop else where.

Shortstack is right. Why anger 20 regulars for 1 person?

Not to mention, the limit tends to be to a few circumstances. Not generally across the board.

My experience is that you can buy more than one if you frequent on multiple occassions (1 per visit).

Another big factor can be when the book came out. If it's brand new, many shops will limit the hot issue to 1 or 2. But that usually goes away the longer it is out (as the "hotness" factor drops. This is a bit different in your case as the book tended to increase in interest as word and scarcity were recognized.

Pat

I ran into the same thing with toys-r-us with hot wheels and Star Wars. They actually had signs posted limited one! I would go bankrupt if I turned customers away.

That LCS is looking at the future, not the short term sell out of a couple of issues of a single title. If that LCS sell those issues to multiple people, those are multiple potential return customers for that title. If he sells them all to one person, that one person will not be returning to the store month after month to buy out every issue of that title.

Smart dealer.

Any explanation for the beast cover not selling for substantially more than the beauty cover of Fatale 1? Comic Book Resources indicated that the beast cover has approximately half the print run of the beauty cover.

That LCS is looking at the future, not the short term sell out of a couple of issues of a single title. If that LCS sell those issues to multiple people, those are multiple potential return customers for that title. If he sells them all to one person, that one person will not be returning to the store month after month to buy out every issue of that title.

Smart dealer.

My LCS grew to the point where he needed to expand and moved. So I tried out the next shop closest to my location. The guy placed a limit on my buying thus turning me off from ever walking through his doors again and possibly becoming a regular.

Anyhow, everyone is happy, that LCS doesn't have to monitor my spending, my old LCS gets my return business, and I get my books.

Any explanation for the beast cover not selling for substantially more than the beauty cover of Fatale 1? Comic Book Resources indicated that the beast cover has approximately half the print run of the beauty cover.

1. Maybe they haven't read CBR's statement

2. For once people may be buying what they like and not what's the lowest print (doubt it).

3. Personally, higher print run or not, the beauty is a much cooler looking cover than the Beast one. I've seen the 2nd print run of the Beauty sell for more than the 1b cover.

Even though i'm assuming (from CBR) that the Beast is the lower print run, i still grab the Beauty one first.

Stuff like this tends to even out over time. If the book stays hot, the lower print run information will start appearing in more than one source and might begin to change people's buying habits.

Still, I find it baffling when LCS' don't want to sell their products to customers. Comic shops that are serious about making sure that their customers get their books offer really flexible and easy subscription programs.

----------

Think of it this way....

If it is a book they are sure is going to sell out in a couple of days anyway, why increase the chances of coming up short when it comes to some regular customer or whatever who comes in the next day or day after...that regular might be on the hunt for the book ad go to a different LCS they might not ordinarily go to and spend a wad of $ there on some back issues or whatever depleting the budget for comic purchases at your shop. Or they go to the internet and decide, F-my local shop, getting things off the internet is soooo much easier.

If you're an LCS and view the # of comic $ in your area as a zero sum game between you and your competition, then I understand the approach.

I, of course, do not understand it when it comes to some book that doesn't look like it will sell out.