• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who finds this page positively pedestrian and not even remotely interesting? It's a drawing of a guy in a hospital bed. I understand the "significance" of the page, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not much to look at. And...I also think the market for Tony's OA is way overvalued as a result of the artificial scarcity that Tony has created over the years by overpricing all of his work. If you are going to spend 4k+ on a piece of OA, at least get something cool to look at! Hang this on the wall and get ready for the confused looks of those that visit.

If the art is strong enough, it shouldn't need an explanation.

There are only 6 issues with Tony's art that exist. That's not artificial scarcity, that's ACTUAL scarcity.

Also, if it was overpriced it would never sell in the first place. The fact that someone bought it or resold it negates the possibility that it's overpriced. It's not a gallon of gas that can be purchased on any street corner, but you already knew that. lol

Am I the only one who finds this page positively pedestrian and not even remotely interesting? It's a drawing of a guy in a hospital bed. I understand the "significance" of the page, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not much to look at. And...I also think the market for Tony's OA is way overvalued as a result of the artificial scarcity that Tony has created over the years by overpricing all of his work. If you are going to spend 4k+ on a piece of OA, at least get something cool to look at! Hang this on the wall and get ready for the confused looks of those that visit.

Ever met a fellow named Mmehdy?

There are only 6 issues with Tony's art that exist. That's not artificial scarcity, that's ACTUAL scarcity.

Also, if it was overpriced it would never sell in the first place. The fact that someone bought it or resold it negates the possibility that it's overpriced. It's not a gallon of gas that can be purchased on any street corner, but you already knew that. lol

The artificial scarcity comes into play in the fact that Tony's prices have always been so ridiculously high that even now, 10 years later, he probably still has more than half of the pages in his possession. So, in any normal situation, there would be a full 132 pages in circulation right now. Instead, there are probably only half as many, each and every one of which was purchased at an eye-popping price at the time.

If the pages were really worth that much, they would have all sold long ago. But...the art was never priced at a point where everyone would buy a page...the price has always been priced at a point where MAYBE there is one person out there crazy enough to pay the primary price.

You're right, though...it's not a gallon of gas (though they are both flammable).

Ever met a fellow named Mmehdy?

I have no idea what (or who) you are talking about. I am guessing, though, that this is some sort of swipe at me 'cause I'm not drooling over this page like everyone else, and I'm not toeing the party line. Am I in trouble now for offering a minority opinion...?

It's totally cool if you like this page, and feel free to spend as much on it as you like. At least you don't have to worry about me bidding against you. ;-)

The artificial scarcity comes into play in the fact that Tony's prices have always been so ridiculously high that even now, 10 years later, he probably still has more than half of the pages in his possession. So, in any normal situation, there would be a full 132 pages in circulation right now. Instead, there are probably only half as many, each and every one of which was purchased at an eye-popping price at the time.

If the pages were really worth that much, they would have all sold long ago. But...the art was never priced at a point where everyone would buy a page...the price has always been priced at a point where MAYBE there is one person out there crazy enough to pay the primary price.

You're right, though...it's not a gallon of gas (though they are both flammable).

The vast majority of artists in the history of this hobby sold their pages at the 'market price' back in the day, and I'd bet the vast majority of them look back and think, "man, if only I would've held on to those pages and waited until I was ready to retire..."

What Tony is doing is smart. Instead of letting a bunch of people who had nothing to do with creating that page, make all the money from it, he's priced it at a point that HE'S happy with selling it at. That just makes sense.

I don't imagine he's unhappy that he has many of those pages in his possession still. Not at all.

Walking Dead is more popular now than ever. Cultural mainstream popular. In other words: more than just comic nerds seeking it out popular.

Really, he made a very smart business move that the majority of artists in this business didn't have the foresight to make back in the day.

Today's artists are catching up though. This hobby is FILLED with people who've made a pretty penny off the work of the creative talent in it for years, and now the artist's are charging more for their work to try to circumvent that. It's going to come back down to earth eventually. The creative talent is just making sure its not them who have to suffer. Can't fault them for that. It's their WORK.

Tony was just smart enough to take it a step further and look beyond even just the way the market was 7 1/2 years ago. Really, really smart when you consider how it's turned out.

I was quoting three other people there, my thoughts are on the bottom.

While I most definitely regret not doing this 4 or 5 years ago, I most definitely would not be doing this now. I just don't see how it is going to work, there will be a ton of stores selling them at $2.99 each on ebay and maybe at $2.49 or less. Factor in fees and other costs, you need to sell them for $4 pretty much to break even.

I think some of the hysteria on more generic pre-# 95 issues has waned (and maybe I shouldn't say anything as I have 2 lots up for auction right now and am awaiting payment for $100 worth of other lots which is now pushing 5 days...). I still think people will be picking them up and maybe paying $1-$2 over cover, but I don't see franticity in the future. Maybe when the season starts up again another 20,000 fanatics will hit the interweb and it will be crazy all over again.

With that said I just picked up 15 copies of Skullkickers 2 on the cheap. I know, I know, the most common # in the whole series, which is close to being cancelled. I don't know why, but I just love the covers on that series.

The vast majority of artists in the history of this hobby sold their pages at the 'market price' back in the day, and I'd bet the vast majority of them look back and think, "man, if only I would've held on to those pages and waited until I was ready to retire..."

What Tony is doing is smart. Instead of letting a bunch of people who had nothing to do with creating that page, make all the money from it, he's priced it at a point that HE'S happy with selling it at. That just makes sense.

I don't imagine he's unhappy that he has many of those pages in his possession still. Not at all.

Walking Dead is more popular now than ever. Cultural mainstream popular. In other words: more than just comic nerds seeking it out popular.

Really, he made a very smart business move that the majority of artists in this business didn't have the foresight to make back in the day.

Today's artists are catching up though. This hobby is FILLED with people who've made a pretty penny off the work of the creative talent in it for years, and now the artist's are charging more for their work to try to circumvent that. It's going to come back down to earth eventually. The creative talent is just making sure its not them who have to suffer. Can't fault them for that. It's their WORK.

Tony was just smart enough to take it a step further and look beyond even just the way the market was 7 1/2 years ago. Really, really smart when you consider how it's turned out.

This is really well put, Chuck.

I always wonder what the artists think when they see a significant page of their bronze/copper work sell for an eye popping price.

While the page sure could be jazzier, it is a pretty huge image for the purposes of the whole Walking Dead story. Would it have looked cooler if the ground around him was littered with zombie corpses with holes in their skulls? Sure, I guess.

As for "artificial scarcity"...that's the market. It's dumb for an artist to dump all of their pages on the market at once, just like it would be dumb to take your 58 copies of ASM 300 and list them all in the same night, all with auctions ending within minutes of eachother, with starting bids of 99 cents (langes sports used to do this and I have absolutely no idea why as it depressed the prices, particularly on the less minty copies).

Frank Miller also has a somewhat limited body of work floating around out there. Dunno how much he has held back, but it was his choice not to be John Byrne and do three titles a month in the 80's.

This is really well put, Chuck.

I always wonder what the artists think when they see a significant page of their bronze/copper work sell for an eye popping price.

Great points guys. One of my best friends on the planet tells me all the time that when it comes to art sales, you are not looking for the price that anyone would pay, you are looking for the price that one person who has to have it will pay.

your LCS must be tucked away on top of the Himalayas.

they order a lot of smaller titles. always have double the amount of copies as any other store i know. they still have a VF+ suicide squad #6, batman #4, 3-4 copies of uncharted #1, 3-4 copies of manhatten project, wd weekly issues (though no important books)

i have a shop like that, unfortunately, due to location, i can only get out there once a week, tops. thing is, i don't think i'm cut out for this modern speculation stuff...trying to sell before interest cools off. i am seriously stressed out about $40 worth of WDs I have up for aucion and $100 that haven't been paid for as I'm not sure what the market will be if I re-list. this is not a lot of money, but it is stressing me out...I have $5-$10K a month movement in my 401K and I don't think twice about it, but $140 worth of comics is stressing me out... were these neal adams batmans or something more stable I would just be annoyed with the hassle of getting my fees back, not that they might not sell the second time around. i don't like 2 week windows of opportunity, i don't move that fast. it took me a week to frigging find most of my WDs from the last 3 years that were in random boxes.

I can see what you mean "the blob" i'm just stressing out on the best way to sell my wd stuff. I never really sold anything on eBay so i'm worried i'll get eaten alive on there. I have a run of 1-31 of weeklies and then 31-70ish but they aren't that high of a grade, they all have a color breaking crease so they have to be around FN-VF or something.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention i'm in Canada so I assume that would also impact selling stuff on eBay as some people don't like purchasing outside the US.

Edited by Tuff Ghost

I can see what you mean "the blob" i'm just stressing out on the best way to sell my wd stuff. I never really sold anything on eBay so i'm worried i'll get eaten alive on there. I have a run of 1-31 of weeklies and then 31-70ish but they aren't that high of a grade, they all have a color breaking crease so they have to be around FN-VF or something.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention i'm in Canada so I assume that would also impact selling stuff on eBay as some people don't like purchasing outside the US.

I would think you'll do well... those runs seem to be selling nicely, mint or not. Just be clear on the shipping terms, so you don't take a bath if a US buyer ends up winning.

i have a shop like that, unfortunately, due to location, i can only get out there once a week, tops. thing is, i don't think i'm cut out for this modern speculation stuff...trying to sell before interest cools off. i am seriously stressed out about $40 worth of WDs I have up for aucion and $100 that haven't been paid for as I'm not sure what the market will be if I re-list. this is not a lot of money, but it is stressing me out...I have $5-$10K a month movement in my 401K and I don't think twice about it, but $140 worth of comics is stressing me out... were these neal adams batmans or something more stable I would just be annoyed with the hassle of getting my fees back, not that they might not sell the second time around. i don't like 2 week windows of opportunity, i don't move that fast. it took me a week to frigging find most of my WDs from the last 3 years that were in random boxes.

I peeked at your finished auctions... Looks to me like you're doing fine. (shrug) Hopefully your deadbeat buyer will materialize... if not, you could always try Second Chance BINs for the underbidders.

Hawman, you going to be throwing those books up for sale here? My LCS seems to sell out before I can make it there after work every Wednesday! Glad we have the boards and dot have to rely strictly on sketchy eBay purchases.