• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

I have a slightly different list this week of Modern Age comics that are not variants and not graded that are 'comics to watch'. Let me know what you think:

• Chew #1
  • Peter Panzerfaust #1
  • Transmetropolitan #1
  • Vengeance of Bane #1
  • Detective Comics #1
  • Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe
  • Manhattan Projects #1
  • Uncanny X-Men #266
  • Lady Mechanika #0 Aspen
  • Amazing Spider-Man #606

Now I assume the Punisher kills the Marvel Universe comic has made the list due to the fact that Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe is super hot. Sort of a trickle down theory going on there. hm(shrug)

Results farmed from here.

Crikey! top of the charts, I feel a little proud :grin:

Have to ask though, click the link and it's Chew #1 at one price, change to most watched and the same comic is priced higher (shrug)

Edited by songsaboutclouds

I have a slightly different list this week of Modern Age comics that are not variants and not graded that are 'comics to watch'. Let me know what you think:

• Chew #1
  • Peter Panzerfaust #1
  • Transmetropolitan #1
  • Vengeance of Bane #1
  • Detective Comics #1
  • Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe
  • Manhattan Projects #1
  • Uncanny X-Men #266
  • Lady Mechanika #0 Aspen
  • Amazing Spider-Man #606

Now I assume the Punisher kills the Marvel Universe comic has made the list due to the fact that Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe is super hot. Sort of a trickle down theory going on there. hm(shrug)

Results farmed from here.

Crikey! top of the charts, I feel a little proud :grin:

Have to ask though, click the link and it's Chew #1 at one price, change to most watched and the same comic is priced higher (shrug)

I've been adding in shipping cost to the listings. It's probably a bug. Thanks for pointing it out to me. (thumbs u

It was off due to me grabbing the current price and not the convertedCurrentPrice. doh! (dang brits and their funny money.)

Edited by whetteon

Thanks for this! It fascinates me to look at these numbers. I always wonder about 5-10 years or more down the line, how these numbers really don't seem like all that much if someone tries to go back and look for something. Pre-internets and especially before eBay came on the scene, many of these titles, with numbers like that, would have been very difficult to locate years after their release. I know people tend to blow off all Modern comics as being as common as dirt, and I'm not saying there's any possibility of these items ever going for GA or SA prices due to storing habits of the modern collector, but I just don't see them as common as people make them out to be. The big titles at the top, sure. But the great majority, not really. (shrug) Maybe it's just me....

Thanks for this! It fascinates me to look at these numbers. I always wonder about 5-10 years or more down the line, how these numbers really don't seem like all that much if someone tries to go back and look for something. Pre-internets and especially before eBay came on the scene, many of these titles, with numbers like that, would have been very difficult to locate years after their release. I know people tend to blow off all Modern comics as being as common as dirt, and I'm not saying there's any possibility of these items ever going for GA or SA prices due to storing habits of the modern collector, but I just don't see them as common as people make them out to be. The big titles at the top, sure. But the great majority, not really. (shrug) Maybe it's just me....

The rise of the tpb market has led to a decline in back issue sales. Digital copies will only whittle it away all that much more.

A great deal of back issue collecting for many people started with a desire to be able to read an issue they missed. There's no reason to fear that anymore.

All of these 'changes' or 'events' that take place, seemingly more and more often are simply forgotten or rewritten, creating a lack of any key issues that someone might want to search out.

I mean really, is there a tremendous nostalgia for Marvel Knights issues, or Force Works, or Zero Hour or whatever...

A bit maybe. But why not just buy a tpb? The interest isn't enough to make those issues 'valuable' down the line no matter how small the print run gets.

It's a matter of demand. Or lack thereof.

The rise of the tpb market has led to a decline in back issue sales. Digital copies will only whittle it away all that much more.

A great deal of back issue collecting for many people started with a desire to be able to read an issue they missed. There's no reason to fear that anymore.

All of these 'changes' or 'events' that take place, seemingly more and more often are simply forgotten or rewritten, creating a lack of any key issues that someone might want to search out.

I mean really, is there a tremendous nostalgia for Marvel Knights issues, or Force Works, or Zero Hour or whatever...

A bit maybe. But why not just buy a tpb? The interest isn't enough to make those issues 'valuable' down the line no matter how small the print run gets.

+1 - maybe something on that list will be in demand 10 years from now but the rest will be more valuable as landfill

+1 - maybe something on that list will be in demand 10 years from now but the rest will be more valuable as landfill

Dont forget time between issue and tpb. Thats your time to sell.

Just left my LCS, picked up a copy of the retailer 500 incentive valiant black shadow man preview, looks pretty cool. Was looking on ebay for a little saw copies for 80+, does anyone actually know whats up with this book. Is it new, and will it continue to rise, any speculations. O ya i did not pay anywhere near the 80 dollar range.

Just left my LCS, picked up a copy of the retailer 500 incentive valiant black shadow man preview, looks pretty cool. Was looking on ebay for a little saw copies for 80+, does anyone actually know whats up with this book. Is it new, and will it continue to rise, any speculations. O ya i did not pay anywhere near the 80 dollar range.

I was just released today and given to the top 500 retailers for Valiant. The $80+ price is due to it just coming out. As with the rest of the variants it will drop in price as more of them are made available. If you're looking to sell do it sooner rather then later.

Saw a previous post of someone saying Uncanny XMEN 266 1st App Gambit heating up.....Any particular reason why?

havent seen much movement on it, but in general its a bit undervalued like most non-tv/movie modern keys. New comic series that launched in august maybe?

Its not a difficult book to find and I think almost every comic shop has one VF or better every month. The gold variant Gambit 1 which languished as a $10 book forever has sold very lately too.

if i wanted to see scans of variant covers or 2nd/3rd print covers a few weeks before they came out in stores, where would I look (eg what website)?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

>>Digital copies will only whittle it away all that much more.<<

I thought that would be the case as well Chuck, however it appears that digital is actually expanding the print base. It is bringing in new readers. The 1,800 remaining direct market shops are for the most part experiencing a 20-30% increase in business over the last year.

Daily, my shop gets customers that discovered material online & now want it in print.

( I have been saying for years that Trades & hardcovers ARE just back issues with thicker spines. Amazon sales for out of print material backs this up nicely )

>>Digital copies will only whittle it away all that much more.<<

I thought that would be the case as well Chuck, however it appears that digital is actually expanding the print base. It is bringing in new readers. The 1,800 remaining direct market shops are for the most part experiencing a 20-30% increase in business over the last year.

Daily, my shop gets customers that discovered material online & now want it in print.

( I have been saying for years that Trades & hardcovers ARE just back issues with thicker spines. Amazon sales for out of print material backs this up nicely )

Yeah it's amazing how as digital sales have increased, print sales have gone up as well. I just downloaded a series last night to read on my iPad and liked it so much I went into my LCS and bought the tpb today.

Which is good for comics, but not necessarily back issue sales, in terms of the actual issues.

As far as for the tpb's, it seems to be helping it nicely.