• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Also BuyItNow auctions cannot hold equal weight to auctions where people bid (when looking at ebay data).

--------

Why is that? If there are a lot of BIN sales that is simply part of the market data to weigh. While I can see discounting a bizarro BIN sale on either end of the spectrum (a BIN that was hit in 30 seconds because someone priced a 9.8 slab at the "top" OPG 9.2 price, let's say, not knowing any better, or a wacky BIN on the high end)..the same could be said for an auction...one might go way low because the seller/auction seemed a little fishy (or S/H was $200) and one might go way high due to buyer insanity, shilling, whatever.

Logic is of no use to him. GPA means nothing. 30 years of buying and selling comics means nothing compared to his mysteriousness.

Also BuyItNow auctions cannot hold equal weight to auctions where people bid (when looking at ebay data).

--------

Why is that? If there are a lot of BIN sales that is simply part of the market data to weigh. While I can see discounting a bizarro BIN sale on either end of the spectrum (a BIN that was hit in 30 seconds because someone priced a 9.8 slab at the "top" OPG 9.2 price, let's say, not knowing any better, or a wacky BIN on the high end)..the same could be said for an auction...one might go way low because the seller/auction seemed a little fishy (or S/H was $200) and one might go way high due to buyer insanity, shilling, whatever.

Hi blob, I agree with the point you are making. I didnt say BuyItNow auctions should be ignored or dismissed. I said that bidded auctions should hold "more" (not all) weight, when looking at ebay data.

I do agree that both auctions and BINs individually can be aberrant as well. However, in principle, bidded auctions will reveal a more accurate picture of the current "mark to market" value of a given issue. This being so, simply because more than one person is deciding a fair value, and what they are willing to pay.

--------

Hi blob, I agree with the point you are making. I didnt say BuyItNow auctions should be ignored or dismissed. I said that bidded auctions should hold "more" (not all) weight, when looking at ebay data.

I do agree that both auctions and BINs individually can be aberrant as well. However, in principle, bidded auctions will reveal a more accurate picture of the current "mark to market" value of a given issue. This being so, simply because more than one person is deciding a fair value, and what they are willing to pay.

I've noticed that many of my buyers don't seem to bid on auctions anymore. They go the best offer/BIN route and have more control over getting what they want. Think of it...let's say you want an IM 55 in VG to Fine shape. You can bid on 15 auctions hoping you get one ... or might get stuck with 5 of them, or a few consecutive best offers on BINs (obviously waiting until there's a counter or rejection before making the next offer). So I'm not sure I buy your analysis. Ebay is different than it was 5-8 years ago and the fixed price/best offer stuff means a lot more than it did back then.

I've noticed that many of my buyers don't seem to bid on auctions anymore. They go the best offer/BIN route and have more control over getting what they want. Think of it...let's say you want an IM 55 in VG to Fine shape. You can bid on 15 auctions hoping you get one ... or might get stuck with 5 of them, or a few consecutive best offers on BINs (obviously waiting until there's a counter or rejection before making the next offer). So I'm not sure I buy your analysis. Ebay is different than it was 5-8 years ago and the fixed price/best offer stuff means a lot more than it did back then.

more good points, I have been in all of the scenarios you describe. What do you think about this:

5 results exist, 2 BIN, 3 Auction....all occur on the same day.

the three auctions average around 20-25 bids, and all of the auction values are around 10-15% lower than the two BINs.

If you average the results of all 5 equally does that truly represent the value of the book?

Should two people willing to pay "up" to avoid having to bid be viewed as nearly equivalent to the many people who werent? Obviously those two can't be ignored, because people were willing to pay it. But I dont think a minority of people (who could just have more money, or be less informed), should be viewed as an equally weighted group to the larger bidding group.

That being said, when a book's value is under going a lot of change, like a first release or a book suddenly affected by a movie/tv show, than a "fair value" might not exist yet. The Buy It Now's in those case will have a far greater influence. Speculation and fear of missing out will be weighed against overpaying and reaching. (Bedlam sketch for $550 anyone.....)

Edited by CBT

--------

Yep. If anything it's sometimes a better indicator, because it tells you exactly what someone is willing to pay at that moment. Unless I have an item that's Ultra Hot, I rarely ever list it as a bid. Sooner or later I get an offer on just about everything.

With bidding, some people dont want to revolve their schedule around an auction, you have to deal with possible shilling, getting caught up in the heat of the battle, etc.

Both have equal value as indicators, both have some minor drawbacks. Over a 90 day period, a one year period, it all evens out. That's why people use GPA, as opposed to just checking eBay once a week.

more good points, I have been in all of the scenarios you describe. What do you think about this:

the three auctions average around 20-25 bids, and all of the auction values are around 10-15% lower than the two BINs.

If you average the results of all 5 equally does that truly represent the value of the book?

Should two people willing to pay "up" to avoid having to bid be viewed as nearly equivalent to the many people who werent? Obviously those two can't be ignored, because people were willing to pay it. But I dont think a minority of people (who could just have more money, or be less informed), should be viewed as an equally weighted group to the larger bidding group.

That being said, when a book's value is under going a lot of change, like a first release or a book suddenly affected by a movie/tv show, than a "fair value" might not exist yet. The Buy It Now's in those case will have a far greater influence. Speculation and fear of missing out will be weighed against overpaying and reaching. (Bedlam sketch for $550 anyone.....)

From the other perspective, say you list a book that ISN'T hot, say a Xenozoic Tales #8 CGC 9.8 as an auction - it's the only one on eBay - and it ends up with very few bids and sells for $15.

A month later, someone puts another one up on eBay as a BIN for $109.99. It sits for 4 months until somebody makes an offer of 99.99, and the seller accepts.

The buyer, has GPA, and sees what the previous sale was, yet is still willing to spend that money for it, because he knows it doesn't show up all that often. The auction hasn't truly show FMV for that book.

Yep. If anything it's sometimes a better indicator, because it tells you exactly what someone is willing to pay at that moment. Unless I have an item that's Ultra Hot, I rarely ever list it as a bid. Sooner or later I get an offer on just about everything.

With bidding, some people dont want to revolve their schedule around an auction, you have to deal with possible shilling, getting caught up in the heat of the battle, etc.

Both have equal value as indicators, both have some minor drawbacks. Over a 90 day period, a one year period, it all evens out. That's why people use GPA, as opposed to just checking eBay once a week.

Since you seem intent on not letting up espousing things I didn't actually say.....

I did not say GPA was invalid at any point in time. I know a lot more about what it is, how it works, and the data sources for it than you do. So please stop constantly trying to bait me for an argument.

What I did say, was that you compared 90 day averages to year averages, than the most recent sale to LAST YEARS AVERAGE instead of the 90-day average you had already quoted. You did this because the difference between the most recent sale, and last years price, was less than the difference between the 90 day and the current.

Either don't mention the most recent sale if you think it irrelevant (its not, it shows the current trend relative to the 90 day average, last 5 sales would be better than last 1) or be consistent with the comparisons.

The buyer, has GPA, and sees what the previous sale was, yet is still willing to spend that money for it, because he knows it doesn't show up all that often. The auction hasn't truly show FMV for that book.

First, he'd be better to wait until one auction style came up, since apparently people arent watching for it in your scenario.

Two, the SELLER is the one who didnt research the value of the book properly. Maybe the person who bid $15 had GPA, and knew he was getting a "deal".

Three, ultimately ANY book is worth whatever someone pays for it. If a seller doesnt know what he has, or a buyer doesnt know its value, neither of those scenarios can affect the true FMV. In this case of your scenario, all it truly shows is what FMV was on that given day, for that given market. In this case, ebay is the market, and $15 was the value. If anything GPA is showing that people used to over pay.

Dont confuse liquidity with value.

Edited by CBT

BINs provide a ceiling on the price of a book, so auctions should be less than the BIN (unless two bidders get caught up in the auction and push the final price higher). Presumably, if someone is looking for a book, they would take a look at the available BINs; if they thought the price was too high or they could get it for cheaper, they should wait for an auction. In the auction, if the auction price met the BIN price, they should stop bidding and just buy the BIN book.

Also, available quantity at that auction might affect the price. For example, Bedlam #1 (regular cover) is a hot book right now. My friend sold 20 copies between last Wednesday and Sunday on eBay for $6.50 each. I listed 7 copies 2 days ago at $5.99, and one buyer bought all 7. He may not have wanted 1 at $5.99, but was more willing to pay that price for all 7.

Since you seem intent on not letting up espousing things I didn't actually say.....

I did not say GPA was invalid at any point in time. I know a lot more about what it is, how it works, and the data sources for it than you do. So please stop constantly trying to bait me for an argument.

What I did say, was that you compared 90 day averages to year averages, than the most recent sale to LAST YEARS AVERAGE instead of the 90-day average you had already quoted. You did this because the difference between the most recent sale, and last years price, was less than the difference between the 90 day and the current.

Either don't mention the most recent sale if you think it irrelevant (its not, it shows the current trend relative to the 90 day average, last 5 sales would be better than last 1) or be consistent with the comparisons.

First, he'd be better to wait until one auction style came up, since apparently people arent watching for it in your scenario.

Two, the SELLER is the one who didnt research the value of the book properly. Maybe the person who bid $15 had GPA, and knew he was getting a "deal".

Three, ultimately ANY book is worth whatever someone pays for it. If a seller doesnt know what he has, or a buyer doesnt know its value, neither of those scenarios can affect the true FMV. In this case of your scenario, all it truly shows is what FMV was on that given day, for that given market. In this case, ebay is the market, and $15 was the value. If anything GPA is showing that people used to over pay.

Dont confuse liquidity with value.

At no point did I compare anything to LAST YEAR'S Average. The 2011 Average for a 9.8 WD #1 was $630. That would be LAST YEAR'S Average.

There's a big difference between LAST YEAR'S average and Last 12 MONTHS Average.

You say you understand GPA better than me, how is it you're missing this?

Decent day for me at a shop I hit about once a month. Hawkeye 2 x3 at cover, Chew 29 variant for $6, Chew 12, 13, 15-20 for $1 each and for purely selfish reasons Batman 0 blanks x3 for cover.

Similar here.

5 x Hawkeye #1, 6 x Hawkeye #2 all for cover price.

Batman 13 Lipstick Joker Variant - £1.99!!!

Batman 13 Die-cut cover £1.99+£1.20 postage.

Great deals are about, effort and research required.

Decent day for me at a shop I hit about once a month. Hawkeye 2 x3 at cover, Chew 29 variant for $6, Chew 12, 13, 15-20 for $1 each and for purely selfish reasons Batman 0 blanks x3 for cover.

Similar here.

5 x Hawkeye #1, 6 x Hawkeye #2 all for cover price.

Batman 13 Lipstick Joker Variant - £1.99!!!

Batman 13 Die-cut cover £1.99+£1.20 postage.

Great deals are about, effort and research required.

Nice pickups. Presuming you're from the UK, were they store pickups or online?

I'll have to do a bit of digging later. The last order I placed from an untried and untested source was a right balls up. Amazing Fantasy had the Batman #13 variants on their site for cover so I ordered three, I received three of the die-cut covers which were virtually bent in half. They won't be getting my business again.