• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

LCS's can look up ebay without any information from the boards....though I have noticed a lot of 'pumping' for information from new people about whether to buy or sell (without any seeming research on their part).

Course it's up to the individual whether they choose to divulge such information. I can't see people being organized enough to take such conversations to private chat.

You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of lcs's checking gdamn ebay everytime I walk into the store, and start pulling books.

I know we've joked about taking this thread to pm only, and after tonite I'm fully in support of doing it only in pm.

You really think that comic shops get their info from here? I keep forgetting the CGC boards are the centre of the universe. :roflmao:

You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of lcs's checking gdamn ebay everytime I walk into the store, and start pulling books.

I know we've joked about taking this thread to pm only, and after tonite I'm fully in support of doing it only in pm.

Take it to PM then.

I mean god forbid a store who pays rent, taxes & peoples wages should ever dare make a profit on anything.

I think the part where store owners might look up a comic on ebay as you're standing waiting to check out is a bit annoying.....or using you as a divining rod to what's hot, grabbing comics before you have a chance to buy them, seems a bit lame.

Edited by krighton

That's not really the point though

What is though?

If customer walks in to comic shop, see's a Saga #1 a week after it came out, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO READ IT, I think that customer should get it at cover price.

However.... if a customer walks into a shop, see's 20 copies of the latest-speculated-Image #1s and then has a whinge because the LCS is selling them at the same price they were hoping to flip them on eBay for.... don't cry about it.

Edited by Bane

I think the part where store owners might look up a comic on ebay as you're standing waiting to check out is a bit annoying.....or using you as a divining rod to what's hot, grabbing comics before you have a chance to buy them, seems a bit lame.

Totally agree.

LCS should price them, have them on the shelf or the wall and should sell at that price. They should not use an iPad to look up the last sell on eBay and then say "sorry buddy, thats going to be $8 an issue now..."

Put your policies & price in place before the customer walks through the door.

I just don't want to see people complaining about it because they now can't make any money themselves.

but you shouldn't gut their inventory either...I'll take 1 or 2 per store, feel a bit too guilty taking an entire stack. Not hard to stick to that with so many dinged up/bent copies at my LCS's. If I can cherry pick a couple 9.8s i'm happy.

Oh I agree totally, it's just the hubris shown by some of the people on here, thinking that what they say on a minority chatboard regarding the arbitrage of modern comic books has any influence on the business decisions of professional retailers is just nuckin futs.

Edited by Whizzer

I'll say this again....when I find something worth flipping I always take as many as I want and then get an equal amount of stuff in dollar value from the shelf. If it comes up "oh hey I have to charge you extra for this book". I just make my stack smaller.

I bought three copies of NWM 1 2 and 3 from a LCS at cover. Total=9 books at cover. I then picked up nine other not hot books that I will read and that's 18 books total. If my stack gets smaller at the register then I put back an equal amount of not hot books. Price gets higher at the register I put back equal dollar amount of not hot books.

Seems fair and I've not had an issue come up using this method.

Edited by comicalgems

Oh I agree totally, it's just the hubris shown by some of the people on here, thinking that what they say on a minority chatboard regarding the arbitrage of modern comic books has any influence on the business decisions of professional retailers is just nuckin futs.

At any given time a retailer or retailers could decide to swallow up that arbitrage on the secondary market if they really wanted to. I personally think some UK retailers have been quite successful in operating on ebay shifting 1000's of comics at cover each month ad fair play to them. I have no bones about them raising the price on the last part of their stock either.

In fact it can be quite hard to compete on some titles. The thing that might be keeping this at bay though the small guys have a lot less to risk when sticking their necks out on a small pull list... or even when reacting to the market instead of trying to predict it. I just don't get why some places don't just take a small share of this at all... would Midtown be overworked if they bothered to use their ebay account a bit more? Seems like it would just be adding to existing process / operation whilst having to take into account some additional fees/charges to pass on.

but you shouldn't gut their inventory either...I'll take 1 or 2 per store, feel a bit too guilty taking an entire stack. Not hard to stick to that with so many dinged up/bent copies at my LCS's. If I can cherry pick a couple 9.8s i'm happy.

^^

For larger multiples I'll have them on a standing order or would've pre-ordered online two months prior. Pisses me off to read about how someone saw that their LCS had X amount and they took them all on release day :facepalm: Preorder your mess and leave the rest.

Release day I don't touch. Didn't bother with Batman Inc death of Robin, but in my example NWM was up to third issue...so first print 1s languishing for two months.

Which is fine and if the LCS still has them at cover I would expect them to honour that and not change the price at the last minute because of what its selling on eBay.

Release day I don't touch. Didn't bother with Batman Inc death of Robin, but in my example NWM was up to third issue...so first print 1s languishing for two months.

Which is fine and if the LCS still has them at cover I would expect them to honour that and not change the price at the last minute because of what its selling on eBay.

Exactly. In an ideal world, a retailer would order enough copies of any given book to fulfill his standing orders, plus a few for the shelves. If it's on the shelves during the duration of the week of release it should only be sold for cover.

However, retailers have to order two months in advance on non sale or return goods which means that if a book like Batman Inc 8 blows up, those few shelf copies will soon be bought up and that is all good.

If the retailer is smart, he will overorder on most reasonably selling titles to benefit from retailer incentives. That is his little bit of extra profit right there, and should more than cover the cost of the overorder. He will get an added benefit from having extra copies if a particular book blows up and everybody is happy.

If a book is still on the shelves by the time the next week's books come in then it should be fair game for a retailer to up the price or put them on ebay. If a retailer provides previews, a standing order service and email newsletters/updates making people aware of what is coming out and the significance of certain issues, it's probably fair to say he has fulfilled his obligations to his customers.

It is in the interests of the retailer to sell as many comics to as many customers as possible over a sustained period. it is in the interests of the speculator to buy up the available supply of a 'hot' issue, hoard it and then control the supply back into the market to maximise profits, while depriving fellow collectors of the chance to buy at retail prices. That's where the conflict arises and i'm pretty confident of who the bad guy is in that scenario. (hint: it isn't the retailer ;))

Lyria Exchange is a link your LCS owner probably never heard of and you can use it as a resource to find those books trending. Shhh! keep it under your hat though. ;)