• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Two of the LCS stores I frequent, they actually increase the cover price of issues to 4.50 or 4.75 when they hit the back issues bin.

I don't mind because it's not much more than what I would have paid if I had it on a pull-list, and I've found quite nice books sitting in those bins.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a LCS to see where prices on books are if you are some random guy hitting up a store just to pilfer their rare and overlooked back issues. It would be a different story if you're a regular there, and/or you're buying pattern is something like comicalgems.

My store takes 2 week old to about 2 months old and they put them in long boxes on the main floor and they stay at cover price, very rarely does the price go up. After that they go upstairs to the dollar boxes. Every boxing day they have a sale, fill a long box for $50 from upstairs dollar bins. It's a good system and books sell quickly!

Now I do feel that new issues should stay at cover til the following issue is released. Sure new comic day is Wednesday but doesn't mean the newest issue of Title Z should be a back issue.

True, but what about an issue that might have some delay or issued once per month? Personally, I feel that just allowing flippers to continue to purchase at cover. I don't feel that a LCS should mark it up above cover on release date but I have no problem with them using secondary market pricing the following Wednesday. You snooze you lose.

My store takes 2 week old to about 2 months old and they put them in long boxes on the main floor and they stay at cover price, very rarely does the price go up. After that they go upstairs to the dollar boxes. Every boxing day they have a sale, fill a long box for $50 from upstairs dollar bins. It's a good system and books sell quickly!

That's pretty smart. They key for all LCS should be moving inventory, all the time. And if they can sell all that they order for cost and above, not factoring in additional boosts from retailer-variants or other streams of income, they're operating beautifully!

There's a shop near me that says they don't receive certain books on release day but the day after you can find them bagged/board and marked up - PP #9 is an example

Wow. Amazing that they stay in business. Like that could possibly fool anyone.

A store in Waco, TX was trying to sell PP #9 for $30 a piece and two weeks later they were still all there.

Nice.....I wiped out that Hastings in Waco two weeks ago........

1sg035_zps341a9740.jpg

Seriously. Nice haul, well done!

So did 80% of Sixth Gun #1s end up at Hastings locations? Because there seem to be an impossible number of pickups from there.

TBH I hate driving .....4 1/2 hours one way...UGGHHH......I would not do that again. Thats why all the #1's that are a 5 - 6 hour drive away are still there. I live in San Antonio...so any enterprising boardie should be able to figure out where those guns are.

Seriously. Nice haul, well done!

So did 80% of Sixth Gun #1s end up at Hastings locations? Because there seem to be an impossible number of pickups from there.

I have not been to a Hastings that did not have at least one.

No. You can call them and ask if they have them. They have their comics on a database so they will tell you. I just asked if they had #1 and if they did I asked them to hold it for me. Everything else I just picked out of their back issue bins on my visit. BTW I believe I have wiped out South and West Texas,Oklahoma and three in Kansas. :)

Edited by THB

Guy who owns the shop I've started frequenting couldn't care less about what is getting hot or putting buying limits on books. He simply states that if he sells what is on the shelves he won't go out of business, so if someone comes in and buys 20 copies of a book he couldn't be happier. All the new books are on thin display shelves so he can only put out 5 or so copies of a book at a time anyway. Its one of those small town shops that has been in business forever but probably only has a few regular customers with decent sized subscriptions, mostly survives on small children coming in with their parents buying a handful of books every now and then or coming in weekly for a book or two. He carries all the Image titles because he likes to recommend them to people who wander into the shop but aren't into the superhero offerings from the big two.