• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Any opinions on this:

A dealer at Ottawa Comicon said that Wolverine:Origins #10/1st Daken (and Daken in general) was getting popular/heating up. Any truth to this??

if you find a 2nd print of #28 you can sell it for 40 bucks if not more.

Any opinions on this:

A dealer at Ottawa Comicon said that Wolverine:Origins #10/1st Daken (and Daken in general) was getting popular/heating up. Any truth to this??

I think its pretty consistent. Most big 2 variants peak early on, then fall, then establish a price range. I have a #10 variant and a Canadian Flag Variant of the earlier issue. At the time I bought it, the Flag was worth more, 6 months later, the #10 third claw variant had surpassed it.

I havent seen any significant change in either of them in a long time. It would be news to me if they were spiking, and I'm pretty suspect, given the market as a whole for moderns seems to be flat tending towards down.

If the dealer had one to sell, i'd take his advice with a grain of salt. If he is just chatting, and not trying to sell you one, then maybe it holds more water.

Ya, I didn't think there was much change either.

The weird thing is, though, that he only brought it up when I commented on his Flag Variant shirt he was wearing. It's not like he was trying to hoc his copies to me. This was either after/during when I had bought a bunch of stuff from him.

But it did seem like an odd comment.

Any opinions on this:

XKNq90

And is there any significance to it, other than a lower print run??

Ya, I didn't think there was much change either.

The weird thing is, though, that he only brought it up when I commented on his Flag Variant shirt he was wearing. It's not like he was trying to hoc his copies to me. This was either after/during when I had bought a bunch of stuff from him.

But it did seem like an odd comment.

That does fall in the chatting conversation more than trying to sell, so it could just be a valid point of view from his perspective. Selling in person doesnt match online, online trends tend to be fast moving, and more sustained when they occur.

Without the ability to instantly view a bunch of comparable sales, I think prices are much more variable at cons, etc.

Edited by CBT

Any opinions on this:

XKNq90

And is there any significance to it, other than a lower print run??

I guess people like the cover art?

Viper appearance (shrug) viper will be in the new wolverine movie, I believe.

Ask these guys http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=23&PHPSESSID=

I thought that might be the reason but wasn't sure if I was missing something. That Viper isn't going to be in the Wloverine Movie.

I am pretty sure he's got the wrong issue, Madame Hydra/Viper first appears in a Cap 110

Larry's report was actually really informative this week with two exceptions:

Batman Beyond Unlimited #3. First Luke Fox in comics. New Batwing.

It's issue 2 not 3 that reprints the online material

and...

Battle Scars 1 is not the first appearance of Nick Fury jr.

Also wouldn't Civil War Choosing Sides be considered an Ant-Man Key?

So Cap 110 1st Madame Hydra and Cap 180 Madame Hydra becomes or takes on name Viper.

Nothing to do with the report in question but....

I know it's also been beat over the head with a dead horse but I would personally say, Iron Man 2: Agent's of SHIELD is Agent Coulson's 1st Full Appearance, being it's 2 years prior to Battle Scars #1.

Civil War: Choosing Sides (One Shot) Being Irredeemable Ant Man's 1st Appearance, came out a month prior to #1 and is a prelude story I believe.

I also must say that I do enjoy the report and post. It's always good to get different peoples opinion's on whats hot and speculative comics. Just a few things I think, and it's no knock on the Larry Report just my take that others might not care about or might possibly not agree with.

Personally I would think that Marvel Spotlight Vol 2 #6 would be a lot more desirable being it's the 1st comic book appearance of Star-Lord, personally could give two craps about the first comic appearance of Star Lords father J'son of Spartax

Instead of Thor #344, Power Pack #18, being that can be had for way cheaper. Kurse is way cooler IMO than Malekith. Power Pack #18 is Kurse's 1st Full and he cameo'd in Secret Wars II #4 and was Algrim the Strong in #347.

I'm also still a firm believer that X-Men Annual #14 is Gambit's 1st Appearance. People have stated it's brief or a cameo but he's in like 8-10 panels. With that said, I feel like 1st appearances with character on cover are always more desirable.

I agree with your view on X-Men Annual 14 but I feel like most won't and the best reason you will get is....the market has already decided.

Had no idea on Power pack 18. Thanks!

It might be flat right now due to some people saving up for their local cons this summer / and vacations. It'll pick up around August I heard.

Yeah it goes up and down all year. Next spike will be after SDCC for some books. If anyone remembers Watchmen some book might similar.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Ask these guys http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=23&PHPSESSID=

I thought that might be the reason but wasn't sure if I was missing something. That Viper isn't going to be in the Wloverine Movie.

I am pretty sure he's got the wrong issue, Madame Hydra/Viper first appears in a Cap 110

and...

So Cap 110 1st Madame Hydra and Cap 180 Madame Hydra becomes or takes on name Viper.

I know it's also been beat over the head with a dead horse but I would personally say, Iron Man 2: Agent's of SHIELD is Agent Coulson's 1st Full Appearance, being it's 2 years prior to Battle Scars #1.

Civil War: Choosing Sides (One Shot) Being Irredeemable Ant Man's 1st Appearance, came out a month prior to #1 and is a prelude story I believe.

I also must say that I do enjoy the report and post. It's always good to get different peoples opinion's on whats hot and speculative comics. Just a few things I think, and it's no knock on the Larry Report just my take that others might not care about or might possibly not agree with.

Personally I would think that Marvel Spotlight Vol 2 #6 would be a lot more desirable being it's the 1st comic book appearance of Star-Lord, personally could give two craps about the first comic appearance of Star Lords father J'son of Spartax

Instead of Thor #344, Power Pack #18, being that can be had for way cheaper. Kurse is way cooler IMO than Malekith. Power Pack #18 is Kurse's 1st Full and he cameo'd in Secret Wars II #4 and was Algrim the Strong in #347.

I'm also still a firm believer that X-Men Annual #14 is Gambit's 1st Appearance. People have stated it's brief or a cameo but he's in like 8-10 panels. With that said, I feel like 1st appearances with character on cover are always more desirable.

I agree with your view on X-Men Annual 14 but I feel like most won't and the best reason you will get is....the market has already decided.

Yeah, it's funny like that with X-Men Annual 14. With so many people vested in 266, it's doubtful that the market will just be all "oh, we were wrong". It will, just be ignored, disputed or downplayed.

Yet more off topic stuff but I just can't resist today.....

Never bothered googling Jimmy Linguini before. Thought I'd give it a whirl....found some funny arse gut busting sheet that had me rolling.

First off...I think I might actually want to listen to this in my car:

"OFG I AM THE OFG"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_UGqSF4Jl8

Apparently alot of pre-occupation with the anus, but everyone's gotta love something. :)

Then this "Portrait" section on tumblr:

http://jimmylinguini.tumblr.com/

Too damn funny. That chick on the top left's cooch looks like it's seen some real vietnam pow action.....could drop a boxing glove in there without hitting the sides. True genius, I shoulda come up with that sort of thing years ago. Good times, good times.

JL, you certainly are all that and a bag of chips bro.

I saw one video where you were so baked I got a contact high!!!!

WTF?

I never thought that I would ever hear a rap song that mentions the CGC boards, Cherry comics, and a guy my dad from behind. All in the same song!

I was wondering what the .gif was on his posts. Better as a .gif than youtube, being youtube has sound.

I agree.

and...

Yeah, it's funny like that with X-Men Annual 14. With so many people vested in 266, it's doubtful that the market will just be all "oh, we were wrong". It will, just be ignored, disputed or downplayed.

Quoting Bosco from this thread about this issue....http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6670185&fpart=1

Uncanny X-Men #266 was meant to have the first appearance of Gambit, written by Chris Claremont, drawn by Mike Collins and Joe Rubinstein, but he actually appeared in an X-Men Annual the week before, drawn by Art Adams, after the publishing schedule got muddled up a bit.

There is a site dedicated to everything Gambit. The FAQ hits on the same details that have been tossed around for years, along with our recent discussion about his appearances.

Gambit FAQ

======================

Q2: Who created Gambit?

A2: Gambit was created by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee. It is noted that Gambit's physical appearance was apparently designed by Steve Gieger and was drawn by Mike Collins in his first story.

Q3: When did Gambit first appear in the pages of the X-Men?

A3: We were first introduced to the man known as Gambit in the late summer of 1990. His first appearance continuity-wise occurred in Uncanny X-Men 266. Due to different release dates, we first caught glimpse of him in Uncanny X-Men "Days of Future Present" Annual 14, which took place right after the events in Uncanny X-Men 266-267.

Q4: When did Gambit join the X-Men?

A4: This is a little confusing since Gambit has referred to himself as "an X-Man by default, not desire." (Note that this is probably another case of Gambit covering up the truth about his real feelings, as the team and the Dream clearly both mean much to him.) There has never been an official welcoming ceremony or issue where someone states "welcome to the X-Men, Gambit" His induction into this merry band of mutants was somewhat obscure. Strictly speaking he was never invited to join. However, X-Men Index places his joining the team in issue 273 in which he is among the X-Men who wear X-Men uniforms as a sign of team unity. In this issue there is a close-up of everyone in their standard X-uniforms and Wolverine says: "Well, darlin', here we are. Never thought I'd wear THIS monkey suit." to which Gambit replies: "But if we're a TEAM, mes braves...we should dress the part, n'est-ce-pas?" It is also interesting to note UXM 278 is the first time Gambit refers to himself as an X-Man.

======================

and...

Quoting Bosco from this thread about this issue....http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6670185&fpart=1

Uncanny X-Men #266 was meant to have the first appearance of Gambit, written by Chris Claremont, drawn by Mike Collins and Joe Rubinstein, but he actually appeared in an X-Men Annual the week before, drawn by Art Adams, after the publishing schedule got muddled up a bit.

There is a site dedicated to everything Gambit. The FAQ hits on the same details that have been tossed around for years, along with our recent discussion about his appearances.

Gambit FAQ

======================

Q2: Who created Gambit?

A2: Gambit was created by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee. It is noted that Gambit's physical appearance was apparently designed by Steve Gieger and was drawn by Mike Collins in his first story.

Q3: When did Gambit first appear in the pages of the X-Men?

A3: We were first introduced to the man known as Gambit in the late summer of 1990. His first appearance continuity-wise occurred in Uncanny X-Men 266. Due to different release dates, we first caught glimpse of him in Uncanny X-Men "Days of Future Present" Annual 14, which took place right after the events in Uncanny X-Men 266-267.

Q4: When did Gambit join the X-Men?

A4: This is a little confusing since Gambit has referred to himself as "an X-Man by default, not desire." (Note that this is probably another case of Gambit covering up the truth about his real feelings, as the team and the Dream clearly both mean much to him.) There has never been an official welcoming ceremony or issue where someone states "welcome to the X-Men, Gambit" His induction into this merry band of mutants was somewhat obscure. Strictly speaking he was never invited to join. However, X-Men Index places his joining the team in issue 273 in which he is among the X-Men who wear X-Men uniforms as a sign of team unity. In this issue there is a close-up of everyone in their standard X-uniforms and Wolverine says: "Well, darlin', here we are. Never thought I'd wear THIS monkey suit." to which Gambit replies: "But if we're a TEAM, mes braves...we should dress the part, n'est-ce-pas?" It is also interesting to note UXM 278 is the first time Gambit refers to himself as an X-Man.

======================

Nice info. As well didn't think it was a new concept, just interesting that many refer to it as a cameo, which it is not. With that info it's more logical. I think when something came out the same month people aren't in general meticulously determining what week what came out. I think as a generalization it goes, cover/title/continuity then specific date when it comes down to weeks or days. It's sort of similar to ASM 252, Marvel Team-Up 141 and Spectacular Spider-man #90 all came out the same month and tie for 1st black spider-man suit. Cover on ASM 252 and title are superior to Marvel Team-UP 141, both books are intertwined continuity. Spectacular Spiderman 90 having worst cover and later continuity I believe. This is why most just go for ASM 252 and as a result goes for a premium. None of this is modern or heating up, so sorry for the diversion of the topic. Debate on issue isn't really needed and I'm sure has been discussed hundreds of times on various forums.

and...

A buyer just bought 3 of them from me today. Guess they think its got legs.

Edited by Fastballspecial

>>personally could give two craps about the first comic appearance of Star Lords father Jason of Spartax<<<

Understandable.

However recently I was asked to participate on a Marvel conference call with Brian Bendis & their marketing team.

Mr Bendis said that Jason of Spartax would be the biggest villain in the Marvel universe within a year. ( I take that with a grain of salt )

His two books are going to be closely related.

All new x-men & guardians.

The universe is aware that Jean Grey ( potential Phoenix ) is back, and they are coming for her. ( via Jason of Spartax )

Or something...

Buy what you think is smart.

I'll do the same.

Edited by LarrysComics

>>personally could give two craps about the first comic appearance of Star Lords father Jason of Spartax<<<

Understandable.

However recently I was asked to participate on a Marvel conference call with Brian Bendis & their marketing team.

Mr Bendis said that Jason of Spartax would be the biggest villain in the Marvel universe within a year. ( I take that with a grain of salt )

The universe is aware that Jean Grey ( potential Phoenix ) is back, and they are coming for her. ( via Jason of Spartax )

Or something...

I'll do the same.

I don't trust anything Bendis says.

Edited by MrWeen

The first appearance of his dad is a $1 book right now.

It would be stupid not to pick it up!

I'm glad Larry's back.

I thought Marvel Preview Vol 1 #11 was the first appearance of Jason of Spartax and the Special Edition is merely a reprint of that story... (shrug)

The first appearance of his dad is a $1 book right now.

It would be stupid not to pick it up!

I'm glad Larry's back.

I thought Marvel Preview Vol 1 #11 was the first appearance of Jason of Spartax and the Special Edition is merely a reprint of that story... (shrug)

Sure.

I don't have much luck with magazine format keys. ( TMNT aside )

Understandable.

Or something...

I'll do the same.

Hum, I didn't know that, and now I do care about Jason of Spartax.