• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,833 posts in this topic

. Price is a constant dynamic,

(thumbs u

Free market economics. A supply/demand mismatch will cause the price point to shift.

Exactly. And these guys are talking about predicting price patterns. Slow Dime, Fast Nickel works for books that are have been around for 10 years, with clearly established price patterns.

His theory of holding out for the absolute best price is a serious gamble. Look at the guy that had all those Sixth Gun #1s, and was refusing offers of 85-90% of his ask. The price collapsed literally overnight, and he now regrets not taking some (if not all) of those profits. Don't be greedy!

Its just like the stock market in that you pay for a perception that may or may not reflect reality. The short term guys are like day traders. Nothing wrong with it but every bit as risky as the long term holders.To give some perspective. These were 50 comics for sale.

You mention the car biz at the end, well my 'biz' is the equity markets. 15k hours in proprietary trading with three different firms, and now currently working in the trading division of a large institutional firm with 33 billion in assets.

Ultra-short term traders, such as the algos taking advantage of a tiered-sytem, actually have significantly less risk. Most people don't understand how fractured some of the equity markets really are, case in point - sub pennying and dark pools. It's a horrible analogy comparing trades closed in a single day (or in nanoseconds in some cases) to long-term investing.

And I don't think that link you provided is typical. I don't know if it's a mistake but I'm sure would represent a very small percentage of auctions, selling below cost. My point is that there is far, far too much randomness in selling to recent moderns to predict price.

I never suggested selling something as soon as it gets hot, if you have multiple copies, and want to offset purchasing costs, and can sell a new comic for 3-5 times what you paid, it makes sense to lock in some gain. Then you can hold onto any remaining issues to do what you like, instead of guessing which is hot and cold.

I compared the comics to stocks due to the fact that perception not strictly hard numbers creates price points. People gamble that they will go up or down and if the markets were any more certain, everyone would reap profits from them but as I think you would agree, that is not the case.

Yes, I get what your saying and yes I showed the extremes as there are extremes to both ends to this discussion. I do believe in locking in the initial investment and riding the rest. I get the markets on every level. My mother was the dealer principal for a multibillion corporation for over 2 decades and while there may very well be less risks for the extremely educated and informed trader, I don't believe the average person can trade better than the overall market has performed.

Lastly, the reason I mention the car biz is due to the fact that I have bought, sold, and managed several different companies and the dealerships within those companies. We have experienced extremes through the last few years and while many dealerships both local and nationwide faltered, we exceeded our previous years' performances due to sticking to what works when others panicked . I can't promise this will work for everyone, just throwing in my 2 cents in on how I buy/sell. I was not attacking your position, I was clearly stating mine. I hope yours works for you. :grin:

Edited by The Authority

Sure. So you can understand how ridiculous it is when people get emotional about other sellers adjusting their positions? It's not like these sellers are trying to circumvent your sale. Everyone has a different reason for their buy/sell....

, just throwing in my 2 cents in on how I buy/sell. I was not attacking your position, I was clearly stating mine. I hope yours works for you. :grin:

When I pay $200 for a college German Textbook, price is relative. If you can pay for these overpriced textbooks, you should get a 9.8 of a modern that you love to read.

, just throwing in my 2 cents in on how I buy/sell. I was not attacking your position, I was clearly stating mine. I hope yours works for you. :grin:

When I pay $200 for a college German Textbook, price is relative. If you can pay for these overpriced textbooks, you should get a 9.8 of a modern that you love to read.

lol. I just ordered my books for grad school and this post made me laugh out loud. So true. I couldn't help but think what each textbook translated to in terms of comics...but that's another story.

Sorry, had to chime in, I'll go back to lurking, this thread has been highly entertaining this weekend. ;)

The Authority and spreads, you two made most interesting post in last 1491 pages.

Hahaha. I think spreads probably made the more provable points. He and CBT could have some great discussions and better charts and graphs than I could ever hope to provide. :grin:

The one thing I know. If you debate something long enough you will either confirm your point or learn something new lol

The Authority and spreads, you two made most interesting post in last 1491 pages.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread, I would like to contribute something that's heating up, but I got nothing. 'He's got Nuthin'! (Elaine from Seinfeld).

I enjoy Jimmy's contributions. Give that guy a star for getting down in the comic trenches, getting his hands dirty (literally from the filthy back-issue bins), maybe washing his hands after using the facilities, and telling us what's available over a wide-spectrum of stores across a major metropolitan area.

It's called not getting hardcored #1.

:signfunny::roflmao:

I got stuck with a few copies of Hardcore #1, but at least I have the lone 9.9 on the census! doh!lol

I don't own a 9.9 anything. Congrats on your 1 of 1 (thumbs u

:acclaim:

lol lol

Hahaha. I think spreads probably made the more provable points. He and CBT could have some great discussions and better charts and graphs than I could ever hope to provide. :grin:

The one thing I know. If you debate something long enough you will either confirm your point or learn something new lol

Has anyone saw CBT lately, need to see some charts and graphs

It's called not getting hardcored #1.

:signfunny::roflmao:

I got stuck with a few copies of Hardcore #1, but at least I have the lone 9.9 on the census! doh!lol

No slabs for me but I did chase down 10 copies at cover that I still have.

Has anyone saw CBT lately, need to see some charts and graphs

No and I miss those charts and graphs too. Hopefully he will have a comeback tour lol

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/26/nightwing-lobo-lego-and-doctor-who-sunday-trending-topics/

So the internet is gonna explode with forever evil #1...

But if it's a death of nightwing...I don't get why there are nightwing issues after 23....

https://heavyink.com/title/7868-Nightwing-New-52

course I think it's a safe bet to buy up some forever evil #1...