• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,833 posts in this topic

Store Y should be keeping tabs on what his/her stuff is worth. End of the day Store Y will sell out and make money, even if store X may make a killing.

The only bad thing here is Customers getting raked over the coals if they missed out and can only find the comic at Store X at a huge marked up price.

I have seen this happen many times.

When this does happen (for those who have seen it), and say that the owners/senior employees generally know most dealers in the area, do/would they try and be inconspicuous about it and send "unknowns" or junior employees, or would they just march in, knowing full well that Story Y people would know what they are doing??

When this does happen (for those who have seen it), and say that the owners/senior employees generally know most dealers in the area, do/would they try and be inconspicuous about it and send "unknowns" or junior employees, or would they just march in, knowing full well that Story Y people would know what they are doing??

It does happen here from time to time. The store I keep my file at orders properly on books and when something is hot a couple of the other stores will send their employees and/or their friends by to try to scoop copies. However, since it is a small community, they get spotted right away and either have a one or two copy limit placed on them or asked first what they are selling for at the other store and told that is the price they will have to pay for the book. However, the file customers and other readers will be able to buy as many as they like at cover/a lower price - my file LCS is more interested in cultivating readers and long term file customers than gouging for the quick buck. I saw it happen in person when the Wolverine Origin #1 came out - another store was charging $60 apiece at the end of the first day and tried to clean out the other LCSs.

That being said, I do not think it is a prevalent now as there are so many local collector/speculators that are more eBay/online price aware than the stores.

Edited by kimik

Since there's not much talk, question (something I've been thinking about):

1-I've wondered about this scenario for a while, if it ever happens.

2-I've wondered about peoples opinions of it (if it does go on, or if it were to happen).

3-Is it ethical or unethical? Fair game or slimy undercutting?

Scenario:

Store X keeps up with what's hot, what's selling, ebay prices, while Store Y isn't as current, comics become back issues in 4-5 months (or sell out before then) and stay at cover price, back issues priced accordingly and prices dont' change often.

Store X owner/employees will go to Store Y, and pick up new issues that they've sold out of at their store (which are hot/go for more than cover, etc.) for cover, then sell for current hot prices at their own store. Store X will also pick up back issues from Store Y for cheaper when they see that their is a price raise, and sell for current prices.

Discuss.

This is what I used to do when i was a kid and doing shows. I didn't have a store front, but I would take some of the books to other shops for a 5-25x flip. There were a lot of shops that did not care about anything except Silver and Gold. Everything else got priced once and went into back issue stock. They only used the big guide, and did not look at the Monthly Updates or CVM. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. :cloud9:

I think it would be interesting to track moderns over time - so few of them sustain their brief flight into the double-digits. Even when they do - you see them often being discounted a few months or years later.

Obviously, a book like Waking Dead #1 is an exception, but I sincerely believe it will also eventually fall.

Going way back (and showing how old I am). I remember two books specifically from my youth: Conan #1 and Howard the Duck #1.... heck, I even remember how Dazzler #1 had a bit of a spike.

I think the DC 3D covers are neat, but I also think that we will see their prices come down pretty quick in about 6 months.

It does happen here from time to time. The store I keep my file at orders properly on books and when something is hot a couple of the other stores will send their employees and/or their friends by to try to scoop copies. However, since it is a small community, they get spotted right away and either have a one or two copy limit placed on them or asked first what they are selling for at the other store and told that is the price they will have to pay for the book. However, the file customers and other readers will be able to buy as many as they like at cover/a lower price - my file LCS is more interested in cultivating readers and long term file customers than gouging for the quick buck. I saw it happen in person when the Wolverine Origin #1 came out - another store was charging $60 apiece at the end of the first day and tried to clean out the other LCSs.

Hahahha!! Love that, regarding asking their price, then charging them that.

I think you have to strike a good median between keeping current and not gouging.

I think it would be interesting to track moderns over time - so few of them sustain their brief flight into the double-digits. Even when they do - you see them often being discounted a few months or years later.

Obviously, a book like Waking Dead #1 is an exception, but I sincerely believe it will also eventually fall.

Going way back (and showing how old I am). I remember two books specifically from my youth: Conan #1 and Howard the Duck #1.... heck, I even remember how Dazzler #1 had a bit of a spike.

I think the DC 3D covers are neat, but I also think that we will see their prices come down pretty quick in about 6 months.

There's probably going to be the 10 or so (out of 52) that stay "the place to be" over the long term.

If you had bought all three at cover (Conan, Howard, and Dazzler) at cover price and cared properly for them I would say that you made a damn fine return on your investment.

There's probably going to be the 10 or so (out of 52) that stay "the place to be" over the long term.

I remember Howard the Duck 1 blowing up and I had a nice collection of Conan. Rom and Dazzler were a few years later. I think Conan has done well. It sells for about 1000 times cover in fine condition. Not too shabby . The Dazzler in X-men goes for about 100 times cover, still not bad. The Howard the Duck books tanked. I traded a bunch of those for a bunch of Atom and Atom/Hawkman books. I always felt like I got the best of that deal but at the time I was constantly told I got my head knocked off lol

As far as the new 3d covers go, time will tell. I would almost certainly bet that the Harley, Joker's Daughter, Lobo, and whatever turns out to be under printed will hold some long term value. The rest ? Who knows what they will do ? I wouldn't bet for or against them. It will depend on long term demand.

2-I've wondered about peoples opinions of it (if it does go on, or if it were to happen).

Scenario:

Store X keeps up with what's hot, what's selling, ebay prices, while Store Y isn't as current, comics become back issues in 4-5 months (or sell out before then) and stay at cover price, back issues priced accordingly and prices dont' change often.

Store X owner/employees will go to Store Y, and pick up new issues that they've sold out of at their store (which are hot/go for more than cover, etc.) for cover, then sell for current hot prices at their own store. Store X will also pick up back issues from Store Y for cheaper when they see that their is a price raise, and sell for current prices.

Discuss.

This is what I used to do when i was a kid and doing shows. I didn't have a store front, but I would take some of the books to other shops for a 5-25x flip. There were a lot of shops that did not care about anything except Silver and Gold. Everything else got priced once and went into back issue stock. They only used the big guide, and did not look at the Monthly Updates or CVM. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. :cloud9:

Man I miss those days. With the information instantly available thanks to technology, I doubt we will ever see that or anything like it again. On the other hand, I don't miss cassettes, VHS, or the lack of TPBs we used to have. Fair trade lol

When this does happen (for those who have seen it), and say that the owners/senior employees generally know most dealers in the area, do/would they try and be inconspicuous about it and send "unknowns" or junior employees, or would they just march in, knowing full well that Story Y people would know what they are doing?? [/quote

PM sent with stories.

Scenario:

Discuss.

Man I miss those days. With the information instantly available thanks to technology, I doubt we will ever see that or anything like it again. On the other hand, I don't miss cassettes, VHS, or the lack of TPBs we used to have. Fair trade lol

Those days have never stopped for myself. Both in Oregon and Alaska, I would say only two stores, out of 20-25 stores, that are really "up to date" and leaders on the culture they supply, whether they don't care to be top of their business field, or are just poorly ran businesses, either way, Rare to find a store that I consider experts in the market.

One of the best ran stores in ak/or is - I love Comics in Vancouver Washington, the owner Chris is a nice guy and the most well educated of the store owners I have met. I personally shop at Excalibur comics in Portland, huge selection, great people, and are an example of one of those shops that does so well, they just don't care to stay up with current tends. They know me well and a lot of their info on current stuff comes from me when they ask what up with just about everything I buy! :applause: yesterday I got the " up to your old tricks again I see, what's up with theses? As I walked up with 10 copies of catwoman 23.

All other stores are current trend gold mines! Collecting is awesome in the northwest!

That's awesome ! Congrats to you. The shops around here are all 20 plus years old and well established. That's not to say they don't miss a few. I was able to pick up over 20 Clone 1s a week after the TV deal but those opportunities are few and far between around here.

we, the boards, are dealers and buy low, always, and sell high, always. collectors pay what they want, price does not matter to collectors.

Yes, we on the boards are geniuses. No boardie ever pays too much or sells for too little. It's only the suckers out there in the general public.

We are also all winning poker players.

Yup, I'm glad I dumped a bunch of Saga 1s for $5-$6 a pop last year before it tanked.....

Hahahaha not exactly a perfect move but if you bought a lot at 35-50 % off, you still won...kind of..I sold 7 TWD #1s for around $100. Stuff happens lol

Where would I have been getting them for 35-50% off? I am not a comic shop. And while I can probably get a 20% file discount somewhere, I am not willing to speculate on this stuff 2 or 3 months in advance and certainly not for the 20-50 copies needed to make these real investment moves. the saga 1s were bought at cover price from a shop that ordered a ton. I sold others at $10-$20 each I did well as later copies I sold for $30 a pop...two weeks before they were going for $80-$100 a pop....UHG.

we, the boards, are dealers and buy low, always, and sell high, always. collectors pay what they want, price does not matter to collectors.

Yes, we on the boards are geniuses. No boardie ever pays too much or sells for too little. It's only the suckers out there in the general public.

We are also all winning poker players.

Yup, I'm glad I dumped a bunch of Saga 1s for $5-$6 a pop last year before it tanked.....

Hahahaha not exactly a perfect move but if you bought a lot at 35-50 % off, you still won...kind of..I sold 7 TWD #1s for around $100. Stuff happens lol

Where would I have been getting them for 35-50% off? I am not a comic shop. And while I can probably get a 20% file discount somewhere, I am not willing to speculate on this stuff 2 or 3 months in advance and certainly not for the 20-50 copies needed to make these real investment moves. the saga 1s were bought at cover price from a shop that ordered a ton. I sold others at $10-$20 each I did well as later copies I sold for $30 a pop...two weeks before they were going for $80-$100 a pop....UHG.

I bought my first ten saga #1s at 40% off. I'm not a comic book shop. :whistle:

I just walked to a local shop an grabbed 4 Catwoman 23's at cover. We'll have to see how that pans out.

As for Conan's, Howard's, and Dazzlers. Buying at cover would have been quite risky - because these are just examples of books that "hit". Most of these became sought-after shortly after release, saw an up-curve, then a leveling or decline.

That said, there are certainly some moderns I think are good long-term. I'm happy to have a little stash of Catwoman 23's.