• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

you all see the crytozoic man #1?

It was an interesting read, but the prose got a little dense...some are gonna love it and some are gonna hate it...but what interests me is that it's sure to get promoted on TV ( it's by the comic book men )...and history shows that that makes a great value bump...

right now it seems to be sleeping selling under cover...

It's simple advertising, ultimate word of mouth....once word gets out beyond those that read the independants ( those happy select few, those band of brothers )

It's dynamite so tiny print run right?

There might be a tiny blip in interest, but not enough for a long term hold, unless it is a good book. Comic books by people who are media stars first (as opposed to comic book writers who later become media stars) have a horrible track record for both long term value and for being even passable reads. Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon are the only two who have been passable, and they both wrote scripts for a living as opposed to being actors or TV "personalities."

There might be a tiny blip in interest, but not enough for a long term hold, unless it is a good book. Comic books by people who are media stars first (as opposed to comic book writers who later become media stars) have a horrible track record for both long term value and for being even passable reads. Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon are the only two who have been passable, and they both wrote scripts for a living as opposed to being actors or TV "personalities."

agree +1. i have some Mr T comics somewhere..

well the first issue is sold out and selling above cover now....

I just think that they are going to promote the book on their show 'comic book man'

I am not sure what to think of the book...it's a bit more high brow....I like the pig man suit...

you might be right...dats speculation, I think I only have to be right once every 4 books I choose as they go up an average of 15-20 bucks....and usually the ones I'm wrong with, someone still wants but not at inflated prices...

Sorry if this has already been posted but I've been out of the shops and here for awhile now. I did have some things on pre-order and this book was one of them. Seems to be a comic worthy of this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dexter+%231&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC0.A0.Xfarlaine&_nkw=farlaine&_sacat=63

Sorry if this has already been posted but I've been out of the shops and here for awhile now. I did have some things on pre-order and this book was one of them. Seems to be a comic worthy of this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dexter+%231&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC0.A0.Xfarlaine&_nkw=farlaine&_sacat=63

Link no workie? (shrug)

Link no workie? (shrug)

Oopsie. Here we go.

linky

I remember being at WWChicago and seeing this huge line...at the end? Mr. T signing that comic. It was actually pretty cool seeing him in person. :cool:

I remember being at WWChicago and seeing this huge line...at the end? Mr. T signing that comic. It was actually pretty cool seeing him in person. :cool:

that would have been great lol

yeah I spec'd a little on them...

The writing on ghosted is kick , and the print run is mild...it has a future

The print run on Lazarus is pretty high....It's got a slow burn potential...

Image has killed it's spec market due to returnability and higher print runs....

I think most speculators are turning to boom, titan, oni...they put out high quality books/stories with lower print runs........

I couldn't agree more, after reading it....it's really good, and such a tiny tiny print run....also a lot of them got damaged due to the odd size of the book...

yeah I spec'd a little on them...

The writing on ghosted is kick , and the print run is mild...it has a future

The print run on Lazarus is pretty high....It's got a slow burn potential...

Image has killed it's spec market due to returnability and higher print runs....

I think most speculators are turning to boom, titan, oni...they put out high quality books/stories with lower print runs........

hm

Thanks mate - great feedback. I haven't read anything from those guys for donkeys... I love a good story - will try to find a few titles to pick up to read! :)

Getting all 9.8 grades takes luck and skill..

Or a prescreen.

I don't use prescreen and I would hardly call it luck, you just have to take the time to look at each book you are submitting.

They reject books all the time on my prescreens where I have no idea why and accept books that I put through as borderline while being sure they will be rejected. When I break 80% on 9.8 pre-screens of moderns I am doing the happy dance.

So I would definitely come down heavy on the "luck" side of things. Skill has not helped me too much on CGC submissions of ~2000 books over the last decade. When every sub 9.8 is a dud the pre-screen is not optional.

you all see the crytozoic man #1?

It was an interesting read, but the prose got a little dense...some are gonna love it and some are gonna hate it...but what interests me is that it's sure to get promoted on TV ( it's by the comic book men )...and history shows that that makes a great value bump...

right now it seems to be sleeping selling under cover...

I tried to read this, I mean really tried to read it, but I just couldn't. I love the weird and ridiculous, but this was just bad. They tried way too hard. Shame too, because Flannigan is pretty damn talented.

However, I would agree with you that this book might get some heat from TV pushing, but probably wont last long. I just cant see this building steady readership.

Betty! Yup, thats the book. I think you actually have a chance to buy it raw and send it to CGC (fast track) and the book will have steady grown in demand in the time it takes to get back in hand, thus making it worth it to be slabbed. Hopefully news breaks and we find low print run info.

I tried to read this, I mean really tried to read it, but I just couldn't. I love the weird and ridiculous, but this was just bad. They tried way too hard.

Ditto. Had it been a labor of love crafted over time instead of a marketing gimmick for a sappy TV commercial of a show it may have had potential, but 6 pages in I had to keep myself for throwing up due to sheer horribleness.

Ghosted on the otherhand is rock solid. LOVE that book.

Lazarus is good too, but much slower paced and complicated than Ghosted.

Another GREAT book people are missing out on is Six Gun Gorilla. That tale is wicked and fresh and FUN!