• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Yeah, it seems to be a buyer's market right now. I buy heavy almost every winter. Auctions are the majority of the stuff I buy and look at on ebay. Its just a tough time to sell and compete with the big screen TVs, new game consoles, and tablets.

No truer words said. I am picking up many 9.8 during the winter lull. December is the worst month to sell.

I've heard about this lull for 6+ months now. Con lull, back to school lull, winter lull.

Yeah, it seems to be a buyer's market right now. I buy heavy almost every winter. Auctions are the majority of the stuff I buy and look at on ebay. Its just a tough time to sell and compete with the big screen TVs, new game consoles, and tablets.

No truer words said. I am picking up many 9.8 during the winter lull. December is the worst month to sell.

I've heard about this lull for 6+ months now. Con lull, back to school lull, winter lull.

lol

It is definitely not a seller's market imo. I'm buying lots of stuff cheaper than I have been able to all year. Are you seeing something I'm not or are you thinking the market won't recover ?

It is definitely not a seller's market imo. I'm buying lots of stuff cheaper than I have been able to all year. Are you seeing something I'm not or are you thinking the market won't recover ?

When is the sellers market, always a 10 month lull

I mean it only takes one title for everyone to jump back on this thread and say the market is back. Preacher #1 now is what TSG #1 was without being able to find them in the LCS, a finished pilot, an ongoing series, and a mini series starting up. I think the market is for sellers from March-June. End of year bonuses have paid any back bills and tax refunds are coming in.

When is the sellers market, always a 10 month lull

Usually starts mid January to mid February. Saga jumped up in December of last year based on the USA Today article. That story created a roughly 50% jump. Other than that, it's almost always late winter through early to mid summer. I will admit that the turn life expectancy of the hot books was short this year but there were lots of winners and lots of losers.

I think there is a vast difference in the good times and times like now. In a buyer's market, nothing will have an impact. Major announcements ? Only on Preacher has that mattered in the last few months. Death of any major character ? Still no reaction in the slow/down times. Tiny rumors will cause a book to explode when in the seller's market. Examples this year are not limited to but would include Clone, Todd, Day Men, Ghost Projekt, Batman Incorporated 8, 3d covers, and the list is long.

Last week, 3 characters died in comics. Not a blip on the radar. No price increases, nada. That, to me, indicates buyer's market.

Edited by The Authority

I mean it only takes one title for everyone to jump back on this thread and say the market is back. Preacher #1 now is what TSG #1 was without being able to find them in the LCS, a finished pilot, an ongoing series, and a mini series starting up. I think the market is for sellers from March-June. End of year bonuses have paid any back bills and tax refunds are coming in.

You and I think exactly the same in that respect. I do think there are a few surprises throughout the year but the cash flows in that time period you mentioned. I wish I had enough time and money to load up right now. It really seems a little lower than usual to me.

maybe so but I've had a pretty good month relative to OCT...

It's christmas and I think that we are comming in to a big rush...

I've been tracking the deaths...and I think it's more a matter of gee are they really dead, and if so how long will they be dead for....with damian being dead all of 5 months and all.......

no one knew about until it was out, and no one is sure really what happened.........

Still...

maybe so but I've had a pretty good month relative to OCT...

It's christmas and I think that we are comming in to a big rush...

I've been tracking the deaths...and I think it's more a matter of gee are they really dead, and if so how long will they be dead for....with damian being dead all of 5 months and all.......

no one knew about until it was out, and no one is sure really what happened.........

Still...

Is he not dead ? I didn't buy any of his new series. I thought this was flashback stuff. lol

how is this cool on this thread....
Agreed, about mycomicshop at least. The auctions always go way higher than you can get elsewhere. I always wondered why. Not too familiar with Mile High though, haven't really heard anything goood about them, only bad, so I have kept my distance and looked elsewhere

Can someone PM with mycomicshop auction advice for sellers? I'm not sure the process/fees/etc

I agree 100% regarding BIN being the way to go on eBay. I throw in a best offer most times because I tricked myself into thinking that more people look at BIN/obos than straight BINs even though I have zero factual evidence

Brad, you can PM me, or call me at 512-240-2802 if you have any questions. There's a lot of info here: mycomicshop consignment info

Fees are:

10% for sales up to $300, minimum $5 per item

8% for sales $300-3000

6% sales over $3000

No listing fees or any other costs to you.

You can list either as fixed price or in our monthly auction. Commissions are the same for both formats. If fixed price, you control your pricing. Items you list as fixed price are listed simultaneously on our web site and our eBay store. The eBay listings are free to you--we cover the listing fees, and we bump the eBay price up just enough to cancel out the final value fee if it sells on eBay.

We only do auctions on our own site, none on eBay. Auctions are indeed riskier than fixed price, but in general stuff in our auctions gets a strong percentage of market price/GPA/retail compared to other auction venues. As others have noted, we have a sizable customer base of buyers that use us but don't look at eBay very often, so sometimes auction prices on our site can go higher than on eBay. Raw books do well through us, because buyers know us and like our grading, versus you listing them yourself on eBay, where buyers tend to distrust the grading from unknown eBay sellers.

The process is:

- You enter the books you want to consign on our web site (our web site tells you which are eligible for consignment based on expected value)

- You start a new consignment transaction and ship us the books.

- We scan everything, grade any raw books, and file them to inventory.

- As soon as they're filed, we email you. You then use a page on our web site to set prices or assign to auction. You can later change prices, or shift a fixed price book into the next auction, at any time.

- We issue payment for most books within about 10 days of the sale, and can either mail you a check or pay via PayPal.

I do not think it's cool for you to advertise your service on this thread

I don't see it that way. I see it answering a question in a professional way. To be honest, I have been thinking of consigning some books to them so I appreciate the response.

Seriously, the petty stuff people get upset with is really mind boggling.

I think you meant to say mind bottling.

Pat

oh gosh lets no go there, ANOTHER CLONE, can someone get more original or are we gonna end up with at least three different damians running around claiming to be damian only to have one die off, one change his costume and go solo and then the damian that stays by bruces side. NO PLEASE lets not go back one CLONE SAGA is enough for one life time.

Probably already known but here are some heating up:

Cryptozoic Man #1 & 2 @ $36

Futurama #1 @ $25

Miracle Man #14 VF/NM @ $10

Magnus #12 @ $9

Absolute Vertigo #1 @ $8

Gotham City Sirens #1 @ $7

hm

I'm very surprised by the Cryptozoic Man. It has to be the show, right ? lol

Magnus seems cheap but I don't follow those like I once did.

The Magnus did go for a cheap price. This is usually a $15 book. I'm guessing the low S&H ($1.50) and the description as MINT didn't inspire confidence in many potential buyers. Also, everyone knows sellers in Florida over grade and don't know how to pack books. :baiting:

How do you guys feel about the price of these Afterlife with Archie comics? Is the #23 variant going to continue to garner around $20 an issue or will it fizzle out? Really tempted to get one just because I hear its a great story and sounds super original, but I might wait and see if the price goes down.

Someone had told me that Life Of Archie #23 only had a scary cover but had no related story inside - not sure if its true

It is true..

If you want the story, it begins in After Life With Archie #1

how is this cool on this thread....
Agreed, about mycomicshop at least. The auctions always go way higher than you can get elsewhere. I always wondered why. Not too familiar with Mile High though, haven't really heard anything goood about them, only bad, so I have kept my distance and looked elsewhere

Can someone PM with mycomicshop auction advice for sellers? I'm not sure the process/fees/etc

I agree 100% regarding BIN being the way to go on eBay. I throw in a best offer most times because I tricked myself into thinking that more people look at BIN/obos than straight BINs even though I have zero factual evidence

Brad, you can PM me, or call me at 512-240-2802 if you have any questions. There's a lot of info here: mycomicshop consignment info

Fees are:

10% for sales up to $300, minimum $5 per item

8% for sales $300-3000

6% sales over $3000

No listing fees or any other costs to you.

You can list either as fixed price or in our monthly auction. Commissions are the same for both formats. If fixed price, you control your pricing. Items you list as fixed price are listed simultaneously on our web site and our eBay store. The eBay listings are free to you--we cover the listing fees, and we bump the eBay price up just enough to cancel out the final value fee if it sells on eBay.

We only do auctions on our own site, none on eBay. Auctions are indeed riskier than fixed price, but in general stuff in our auctions gets a strong percentage of market price/GPA/retail compared to other auction venues. As others have noted, we have a sizable customer base of buyers that use us but don't look at eBay very often, so sometimes auction prices on our site can go higher than on eBay. Raw books do well through us, because buyers know us and like our grading, versus you listing them yourself on eBay, where buyers tend to distrust the grading from unknown eBay sellers.

The process is:

- You enter the books you want to consign on our web site (our web site tells you which are eligible for consignment based on expected value)

- You start a new consignment transaction and ship us the books.

- We scan everything, grade any raw books, and file them to inventory.

- As soon as they're filed, we email you. You then use a page on our web site to set prices or assign to auction. You can later change prices, or shift a fixed price book into the next auction, at any time.

- We issue payment for most books within about 10 days of the sale, and can either mail you a check or pay via PayPal.

I don't know how cool it is but I'm happy to see anybody make an attempt to compete with ebay. The fees are close but there appears to be a lot less time involved in dealing with MCS. The thread title advertises ebay so I see no harm in pointing out something that might be helpful to us.

One question about this, who, then pays the shipping cost to the buyer, the seller, or comicbookauctions?

You mean like you advertise your eBay auctions in your sig line every time you post?

Someone asked a question about Lonestar's auctions and Lonestar gave them the answer - nothing wrong with that.

Why is advertising eBay auctions here bad? Honest question. I've seen people mention this before, and have wondered what the deal was?