• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

>>THAT'S you guys bread & butter... <<

You own a comic book store. That's all you do.

Weren't you the one who posted boxes of The Last of Us #1 saying you were holding them from your customers because you knew it would go up in price?

I'm pretty confident those were reorders that had just arrived in his store.

He never said anything about holding copies back from customers.

Larry on the boards is a lot like Eric the Midget on Twitter.

Sure he's probably not a racist or homophobe but by acknowledging you guys it doesn't really help his case. 2c

Now can we please talk about this new Comic Book Men comic that I just picked up four copies of?

Thanx

Weren't you the one who posted boxes of The Last of Us #1 saying you were holding them from your customers because you knew it would go up in price?

Sure he's probably not a racist or homophobe but by acknowledging you guys it doesn't really help his case. 2c

Now can we please talk about this new Comic Book Men comic that I just picked up four copies of?

Thanx

Just picked up the negative variant and 2 copies of issue #2.. all for cover price.

Also, it's Eric the 'Actor'

Thanx

I just picked up 5 sets of Cryptozoic Man #1 and #2 from my LCS yesterday at cover price. I just listed 4 of those sets on eBay in 5 day auctions. Sets seem to be averaging about $20-30 per set right now.

Thanx

My one pre-order copy of #1 was bent up and wrinkled. :(

I hate that kind of move.

Nice try.

I don't "hold" anything from the shop...

Ever.

I limit from time to time...

>>Sometimes, not always, it appears that store owners get bitter over the fact that people are profiting from selling books<<

I'm never mad about anybody profiting from the sales of a comic.

Never, never, ever..

I just find it hilarious feigning to care about inexperienced collectors being taken advantage of on the CGC boards.

Like I said before, THAT'S you guys bread & butter...

(shrug) There is always someone willing to part fool from their money, so whether it happens here or somewhere else it will still happen.

>>Sometimes, not always, it appears that store owners get bitter over the fact that people are profiting from selling books<<

I'm never mad about anybody profiting from the sales of a comic.

Never, never, ever..

I just find it hilarious feigning to care about inexperienced collectors being taken advantage of on the CGC boards.

Like I said before, THAT'S you guys bread & butter...

(shrug) There is always someone willing to part fool from their money, so whether it happens here or somewhere else it will still happen.

Exactly.

okay cyrptozoic men reads to me like someone who is trying to channel melville but failing....I have met people that like it, but people seemed to like deadwood....

but I don't think the TV exposure is done right now....and with their hollywood positioning how long until we all hear the sweet whispers of Ttttttvvvvv show....

I've personally done what I always do when I'm not sure if I want to sell it....Priced it VERY high...

I tried that with Preacher, and I obviously didn't price it high enough...

Sometimes, not always, it appears that store owners get bitter over the fact that people are profiting from selling books, especially if they buy those books from their store.

I remember when my father was a manager for a large automotive dealership and hearing the owner complain about people who bought and sold cars on the side for extra money. His complain was that they 'had no right' because they didn't have to pay all the other expenses that came along with running a business. Rent/lease for building, overhead costs, insurance, employees, etc...

It makes me laugh now how somebody like him wanted the system working for them but not for anyone else lol.

the back issue/collectible comics market could no longer exist if collectors didn't have a venue for selling their stuff outside of comic shops who, for the most part (board members here excluded, of course) without ebay would be paying 2 cents on the dollar for what comes in their door. otherwise you are just buying stuff that you are told is worth something only to find out you can only get a tiny fraction for it when you sell unless you are willing to become a part-time dealer and set up a table at local shows. how many people want to do that?

so the shop owner who kvetches about the new fangled world ought to realize that whatever back issue business he has left (as well as a certain % of his new book sales) he has the liquidity of the internet to thank for.

honestly, i don't know how the hobby survived in the 70s and 80s except there were so many buy and hold collectors who never needed to "cash in". those who needed to cash in were likely to find themselves sorely disappointed because you needed to really buy low to make a profit selling your better stuff to a shop for 10-20% of OPG and getting pennies for everything else.

Larry... I don't know you, I have just been exposed to you for the first time lately, and until now, I was waiting to decide about you. Until those last two sentences, I was not saying anything. But now...

I think you have a little too much hog in your wash, son. Too much jibber in your jabber.

Too much bull in your mess. And this is coming from me, who posts 1000 times a month or so.

meh

-slym

think you have a little too much hog in your wash, son. Too much jibber in your jabber.

I do not understand the words coming out of your mouth.

sorry

Sometimes, not always, it appears that store owners get bitter over the fact that people are profiting from selling books, especially if they buy those books from their store.

I remember when my father was a manager for a large automotive dealership and hearing the owner complain about people who bought and sold cars on the side for extra money. His complain was that they 'had no right' because they didn't have to pay all the other expenses that came along with running a business. Rent/lease for building, overhead costs, insurance, employees, etc...

It makes me laugh now how somebody like him wanted the system working for them but not for anyone else lol.

the back issue/collectible comics market could no longer exist if collectors didn't have a venue for selling their stuff outside of comic shops who, for the most part (board members here excluded, of course) without ebay would be paying 2 cents on the dollar for what comes in their door. otherwise you are just buying stuff that you are told is worth something only to find out you can only get a tiny fraction for it when you sell unless you are willing to become a part-time dealer and set up a table at local shows. how many people want to do that?

so the shop owner who kvetches about the new fangled world ought to realize that whatever back issue business he has left (as well as a certain % of his new book sales) he has the liquidity of the internet to thank for.

honestly, i don't know how the hobby survived in the 70s and 80s except there were so many buy and hold collectors who never needed to "cash in". those who needed to cash in were likely to find themselves sorely disappointed because you needed to really buy low to make a profit selling your better stuff to a shop for 10-20% of OPG and getting pennies for everything else.

/slowclap

I see your point, however if you single out the market for modern comics i.e. new releases then I imagine the feeling some people would have towards this is akin to the views often expressed about ticket scalpers and how it affects regular music / sports / whatever fans. (shrug)

okay cyrptozoic men reads to me like someone who is trying to channel melville but failing....I have met people that like it, but people seemed to like deadwood....

but I don't think the TV exposure is done right now....and with their hollywood positioning how long until we all hear the sweet whispers of Ttttttvvvvv show....

I've personally done what I always do when I'm not sure if I want to sell it....Priced it VERY high...

Has anyone else noticed that the main character is pretty ridiculous. The guy is made of parts of mythical monsters.

Has anyone else noticed that the main character is pretty ridiculous. The guy is made of parts of mythical monsters.

What next? Maybe a guy that can fly, leap tall buildings with a single bound, lift a tank, shoot freaking lasers out of his eyes and on top of that wears his underpants on the outside? Madness!

Cryptozoic Man #1 negative variant now selling for $14.99 from The Stash's own ebay account. With 'more than 10 available' prices will likely stabilise or drop on that version at least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRYPTOZOIC-MAN-1-negative-variant-NM-FIRST-PRINTING-/221330286461?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item338850277d

I was partially kidding around.. Isn't the book getting a bump because they pumped it up on the show?

In the equities market, they call that pump and dump. Dan Dorfman was on CNBC TV in the 1980's was accused but never convicted of pumping stocks. I would be curious if these TV show hosts are working with promoters to take an average comic, list it on ebay, pump it in a show, then unload as fast as possible.