• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Cryptozoic Man #1 negative variant now selling for $14.99 from The Stash's own ebay account. With 'more than 10 available' prices will likely stabilise or drop on that version at least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRYPTOZOIC-MAN-1-negative-variant-NM-FIRST-PRINTING-/221330286461?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item338850277d

Looks like they were selling to quickly at $14.99 so they have ended that listing and started now selling them at $19.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIRT-PRINT-NEGATIVE-VARIANT-CRYPTOZOIC-MAN-1-/390717512640?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5af8941bc0

Cryptozoic Man #1 negative variant now selling for $14.99 from The Stash's own ebay account. With 'more than 10 available' prices will likely stabilise or drop on that version at least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRYPTOZOIC-MAN-1-negative-variant-NM-FIRST-PRINTING-/221330286461?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item338850277d

I was partially kidding around.. Isn't the book getting a bump because they pumped it up on the show?

In the equities market, they call that pump and dump. Dan Dorfman was on CNBC TV in the 1980's was accused but never convicted of pumping stocks. I would be curious if these TV show hosts are working with promoters to take an average comic, list it on ebay, pump it in a show, then unload as fast as possible.

I think you might be on to something, I'm sure the show hosts determined that the best way to capitalize on their new found fame is to use it to advertise their comics for sale on eBay at $14.99 each.

Sometimes, not always, it appears that store owners get bitter over the fact that people are profiting from selling books, especially if they buy those books from their store.

I remember when my father was a manager for a large automotive dealership and hearing the owner complain about people who bought and sold cars on the side for extra money. His complain was that they 'had no right' because they didn't have to pay all the other expenses that came along with running a business. Rent/lease for building, overhead costs, insurance, employees, etc...

It makes me laugh now how somebody like him wanted the system working for them but not for anyone else lol.

the back issue/collectible comics market could no longer exist if collectors didn't have a venue for selling their stuff outside of comic shops who, for the most part (board members here excluded, of course) without ebay would be paying 2 cents on the dollar for what comes in their door. otherwise you are just buying stuff that you are told is worth something only to find out you can only get a tiny fraction for it when you sell unless you are willing to become a part-time dealer and set up a table at local shows. how many people want to do that?

so the shop owner who kvetches about the new fangled world ought to realize that whatever back issue business he has left (as well as a certain % of his new book sales) he has the liquidity of the internet to thank for.

honestly, i don't know how the hobby survived in the 70s and 80s except there were so many buy and hold collectors who never needed to "cash in". those who needed to cash in were likely to find themselves sorely disappointed because you needed to really buy low to make a profit selling your better stuff to a shop for 10-20% of OPG and getting pennies for everything else.

I think one of the reasons the hobby survived in the 70s and 80s like that was because people actually collected comics to read and own. :o

Not to flip.

An example is people actually went out of their way to collect a whole run of FF 1 to 100 and ASM 1-100 to read and have. I bet many of them were not thinking geez can I flip this in a few weeks?

The innocence of the hobby is gone.

;)

Sometimes, not always, it appears that store owners get bitter over the fact that people are profiting from selling books, especially if they buy those books from their store.

I remember when my father was a manager for a large automotive dealership and hearing the owner complain about people who bought and sold cars on the side for extra money. His complain was that they 'had no right' because they didn't have to pay all the other expenses that came along with running a business. Rent/lease for building, overhead costs, insurance, employees, etc...

It makes me laugh now how somebody like him wanted the system working for them but not for anyone else lol.

the back issue/collectible comics market could no longer exist if collectors didn't have a venue for selling their stuff outside of comic shops who, for the most part (board members here excluded, of course) without ebay would be paying 2 cents on the dollar for what comes in their door. otherwise you are just buying stuff that you are told is worth something only to find out you can only get a tiny fraction for it when you sell unless you are willing to become a part-time dealer and set up a table at local shows. how many people want to do that?

so the shop owner who kvetches about the new fangled world ought to realize that whatever back issue business he has left (as well as a certain % of his new book sales) he has the liquidity of the internet to thank for.

honestly, i don't know how the hobby survived in the 70s and 80s except there were so many buy and hold collectors who never needed to "cash in". those who needed to cash in were likely to find themselves sorely disappointed because you needed to really buy low to make a profit selling your better stuff to a shop for 10-20% of OPG and getting pennies for everything else.

I think one of the reasons the hobby survived in the 70s and 80s like that was because people actually collected comics to read and own. :o

Not to flip.

An example is people actually went out of their way to collect a whole run of FF 1 to 100 and ASM 1-100 to read and have. I bet many of them were not thinking geez can I flip this in a few weeks?

;)

Recapturing our youth was part it and I agree that the innocence is gone. I think another reason people did this was that we didn't have TPBs or cell phones, or...whoops getting off track. If you wanted to read most stories or see the art, you had to buy the originals. The internet was not around to take a look at someone else's stash.

I took a hiatus of over two years. I had less than 9000 posts when I came back in February of this year. If you count from then, 1000 was being conservative.

;)

-slym

Feel free to take another break

Challenge NOT accepted.

finger.gif

-slym

Larry... I don't know you, I have just been exposed to you for the first time lately, and until now, I was waiting to decide about you. Until those last two sentences, I was not saying anything. But now...

I think you have a little too much hog in your wash, son. Too much jibber in your jabber.

Too much bull in your mess. And this is coming from me, who posts 1000 times a month or so.

meh

-slym

think you have a little too much hog in your wash, son. Too much jibber in your jabber.

I do not understand the words coming out of your mouth.

sorry

English, man - do you speak it? Learn to be flexible.

OK, to dumb it down - you are saying that the people selling here jump at the chance to take advantage of the unknowing masses. Our "bread & butter" is "taking advantage of the inexperienced collector."

wildly_fanciful_statement. I call bull mess.

:foryou:

-slym

Found a Cryptozoic Man #1 variant and a #2 today @ LCS. I'll take anything I have zero intention of reading that I can make a buck from to buy better

What store? The only one I didn't go to was the one on South St. I went to the other three on Tuesday.

Found a Cryptozoic Man #1 variant and a #2 today @ LCS. I'll take anything I have zero intention of reading that I can make a buck from to buy better

I would sell it now, and < the previous sale. Some of these hot comics last a day then fall off a cliff.

What store? The only one I didn't go to was the one on South St. I went to the other three on Tuesday.

Why should he tell you when he got there first?

:roflmao:

Me thinks Sour grapes?

Edited by Fastballspecial

Not to flip.

;)

this was no doubt true for some new issue sales (though i suspect half of the print-runs of the 80s were probably in part due to potential future value, how else were a badjillion copies of Moon Knight 1, Dazzler 1 and Alpha Flight 1 printed?) and low dollar back issue sales, but nobody was spending $50 on GI Joe 2 or Fish Police 1 or an ungodly $7-10 for Thor 337 for the sole purposes of "reading and owning" them. As a kid in the 70s and pre-teen/teen in the early/mid 80s, amongst my collecting geek buddies there was certainly a notion of certain issues "going up" and being worth more/something, etc.

Why should he tell you when he got there first?

:roflmao:

Me thinks Sour grapes?

Hah nah. There are only 4 stores in Philly. And no one really speculates in center city.