• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

If Southern Bastards stays hot, really takes off or becomes a TV show, people will still want Scalped 43 since it's Aaron & LaTour's first book together.

Debate all day whether it's a SB prototype or not, I believe it is

Yes, I agree. That was the issue where they created the middle-aged redneck.

That character also died, btw...and he appears much younger in Scalped, so...figure that one out.

It is crazy how a blurb kicked into a full scale ebay phenomenon. Funny but absolutely crazy. lol

We used to do this as an exercise when I was in grade school. The teacher would write down a fact on a piece of paper and show it to the first student. The 1st student would tell a 2nd student. This would continue until it got to the last kid. The last kid would stand in front of the class and let everybody know what the teacher wrote down. It was usually about 4 miles off. The teacher would then read the page out loud. The teacher was trying to explain the importance of getting your facts straight. lol

If Southern Bastards stays hot, really takes off or becomes a TV show, people will still want Scalped 43 since it's Aaron & LaTour's first book together.

That character also died, btw...and he appears much younger in Scalped, so...figure that one out.

It is crazy how a blurb kicked into a full scale ebay phenomenon. Funny but absolutely crazy. lol

We used to do this as an exercise when I was in grade school. The teacher would write down a fact on a piece of paper and show it to the first student. The 1st student would tell a 2nd student. This would continue until it got to the last kid. The last kid would stand in front of the class and let everybody know what the teacher wrote down. It was usually about 4 miles off. The teacher would then read the page out loud. The teacher was trying to explain the importance of getting your facts straight. lol

It's called "telephone" wow, outdated yet relevant

It's called "telephone" wow, outdated yet relevant

Thanks for naming it and I am nothing if not both outdated and relevant. :roflmao:

Yeah I really don't understand the anger or irritation on the entire Scalped prototype thing. I never read Scalped and reading Jason Aarons tumblr post made me (and many others) assume he was implying those characters on the page he posted were in Southern Bastards. Kind of looked the same to me, but again, I never read Scalped or Southern Bastards so I looked at pictures and put two and two together. Guess I was wrong-o.

Yeah I really don't understand the anger or irritation on the entire Scalped prototype thing. I never read Scalped and reading Jason Aarons tumblr post made me (and many others) assume he was implying those characters on the page he posted were in Southern Bastards. Kind of looked the same to me, but again, I never read Scalped or Southern Bastards so I looked at pictures and put two and two together. Guess I was wrong-o.

I agree.

While I think it would be silly to start stockpiling on the word of a single blog/tumblr post, I don't see anything wrong with someone who's loving Southern Bastards picking up a copy because the creator mentioned a small connection. I did :)

Edit: I do think it's a little misleading to plaster "first appearance of" on listing for the book though. Mentioning the artist post seems fine, but implying this is a legitimate first appearance seems wrong. If thats what has people so frustrated, I can understand that.

Edited by AntBrown

(tsk)

I agree.

While I think it would be silly to start stockpiling on the word of a single blog/tumblr post, I don't see anything wrong with someone who's loving Southern Bastards picking up a copy because the creator mentioned a small connection. I did :)

Edit: I do think it's a little misleading to plaster "first appearance of" on listing for the book though. Mentioning the artist post seems fine, but implying this is a legitimate first appearance seems wrong. If thats what has people so frustrated, I can understand that.

I'm sorry, but I feel like everyone's missing the funniest part: you dropped decent cash on a first appearance of a prototype of a character who's only been in TWO ISSUES. That's the ridiculous part. I enjoyed the first two SB issues too, but wow, what if the series tanks? What if it's canceled in a couple issues? What if it sucks? Considering I read all of Scalped, I'm sure none of these things are true because Aaron rocks, but I'm just saying it's hilariously early to be spending that kind of money on a prototype appearance. Absolutely hilarious. We are in a dark age, friends.

I'll also laugh if Earl Tubb gets killed in a couple issues and we find out the story is really about Coach Boss lol We are talking about a modern, creator owned book...anything can happen. Seems a little early to even care about the Scalped 43 thing.

Edited by jaybes

I like Jimmy's web site a lot because he whips it out and shows us what he's got, meaning he offers his own insight and ideas on what he thinks could be hot and/or collectible. It's not a rehash of links from the other sites. Plus, he funny.

Edited by Pinky Lee Zepplin

The second prints of Invincible Iron Man 10 and 11 have been heating up and selling pretty well lately, these books are rarely up for sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231218486391

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301175228792

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291135761185

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301140645901

Bravo! These are seriously undervalued. I'm very surprised more people aren't pushing these comics. Maybe it's just a case of people not knowing but the first appearance of the J.A.R.V.I.S. AI that's going to become the Vision in Avengers 2 is pretty important.

Let's kill this stupid 1st appearance/prototype talk - Scalped 16 is the first appearance of Wooster Karnow, drawn by R.M. Guera. He looks exactly the same in that issue as he does in 43.

How is 43 the first appearance of a 'prototype' character, when he appears 27 issues earlier? Latour isn't even co-creator of the character - that'd be Guera.

43 is significant to Latour and Aaron because it's the first time they worked together. That page is probably called out because it's the first time Latour showed his amazing ability to draw old white dudes.

Stop BS'ing to protect your $1 box investments - this book is nothing. Read Scalped instead of people's biased opinions.

Edited by Solar

Let's kill this stupid 1st appearance/prototype talk - Scalped 16 is the first appearance of Wooster Karnow, drawn by R.M. Guera. He looks exactly the same in that issue as he does in 43.

How is 43 the first appearance of a 'prototype' character, when he appears 27 issues earlier? Latour isn't even co-creator of the character - that'd be Guera.

43 is significant to Latour and Aaron because it's the first time they worked together. That page is probably called out because it's the first time Latour showed his amazing ability to draw old white dudes.

Stop BS'ing to protect your $1 box investments - this book is nothing. Read Scalped instead of people's biased opinions.

Because that was the first time Latour drew him. What if you interpreted "prototype" as "inspiration", does that help?

The second prints of Invincible Iron Man 10 and 11 have been heating up and selling pretty well lately, these books are rarely up for sale on eBay:

Bravo! These are seriously undervalued. I'm very surprised more people aren't pushing these comics. Maybe it's just a case of people not knowing but the first appearance of the J.A.R.V.I.S. AI that's going to become the Vision in Avengers 2 is pretty important.

I imagine people would rather have Avengers 57...

I imagine people would rather have Avengers 57...

Oh I understand the importance of that issue but the Vision that will be in the film is based on the J.A.R.V.I.S. AI from Iron Man. The fact that J.A.R.V.I.S. actually has a comic appearance is significant.

Because that was the first time Latour drew him. What if you interpreted "prototype" as "inspiration", does that help?

Just. Stop.

So what you're saying is, even though the 2 characters have different names, live in different states, exist in a different comic book universe (Vertigo/Image), are different sizes, and even if it was true, the character mentioned in Scalped #43 was actually introduced over 2 years earlier....there is still a chance ? :roflmao:

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. lol