• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

the market seems weird sometimes...

Marvel Zombies (1st series) seems to have held up pretty well price-wise, but the 1st/early apps in Ult. FF, not so much. sure, the suydam covers in the mini are awesome, but is that really why?

Sonic already has a nice little following. If you find nice copies of the first 150 or so issues in the dollar bins, or less, I suggest picking them up.

I would also buy:

Justice League Europe 37

Superman 62

Detective Comics 639

Electronic Gamer Monthly Oct 1991

Disney Adventures November 1991 ( sonic mini comic ) This might be the first appearance of Darkwing Duck too but I do not know for sure.

Dude, you are a walking encyclopedia of obscure (and sometimes questionable) first appearances (thumbs u

He really is.

I think he may have a mutant power....

I found a justice league europe 33 with a sonic mini comic...u sure about 37?

Sonic already has a nice little following. If you find nice copies of the first 150 or so issues in the dollar bins, or less, I suggest picking them up.

I would also buy:

Justice League Europe 37

Superman 62

Detective Comics 639

Disney Adventures November 1991 ( sonic mini comic ) This might be the first appearance of Darkwing Duck too but I do not know for sure.

Dude, you are a walking encyclopedia of obscure (and sometimes questionable) first appearances (thumbs u

He really is.

Usually I'm pretty good about correcting errors an typos. I don't have a clue about what's in issue 37 because I meant to type 33.

There is also an issue of Sega Visions which has the same comic inside. I do not know what issue.

Sorry to the guy who bought a 37. My advice in that case is to confirm anything you read here cause humans make mistakes all the time. A simple search of the web would have shown you the correct issue of JLE and then you could have purchased it and enjoyed a poke at me for posting erroneous info or a nice post correcting me for the benefit of the community. Depends on what type of board member you are but I would have apologized either way.

Edited by MrWeen

More likely it's just an inexperienced bidder that got caught up in the excitement of bidding. Auctions often perform better than BINs (even when there are cheaper BINs available) just because there are two bidders that get caught up in it and don't want to lose. And...raw copies are selling in the $20 range (shipping included), so $26 isn't exactly an outrageous price.

Furthermore, the idea that a seller with a 16930 FB rating is going to create a shill account to bid on this one book is a bit ludicrous.

I guess there's an outside chance that the auction was shilled by someone that simply wants to see prices go higher...but this is the only book this person has bid on in the last 30 days (so not like they are running up prices on several copies).

Honestly, the frequency with which the word "shill" is thrown around on these boards is a bit obnoxious. More often than not, there is no factual basis for it, but that doesn't stop everyone from pointing the finger every time an auction goes higher than expected.

Seriously, people: Please stop. Unless you have 95% certainty based on some sort of actual evidence, please refrain from false / unwarranted accusations.

Honestly, the frequency with which the word "shill" is thrown around on these boards is a bit obnoxious. More often than not, there is no factual basis for it, but that doesn't stop everyone from pointing the finger every time an auction goes higher than expected.

Agreed. It seems to be the favorite buzzword.

yeah last weekend I was at a show and a kid came to the table I was working at and went to one of the three walls. Saw a Sonic #0 and just stood there staring.

I said "can I help you with anything"

"oh man, Oh man, I just I just don't know"

He was wearing a Sonic shirt

So I said "oh you want to see this?" and showed him the Sonic #0 to which he replied

"oh man I just never expected to see this here. A sonic comic book?"

Moral of the story - Sonic fans don't care about the comics and its a very finite fan base. A sonic movie sounds cool but in reality it going to be panned towards 4 - 10 year olds. Movie news will in no way effect the comics value.

Well said Jimmi - took the words right out of my mouth

While I agree with you, I wonder how much that matters? I honestly don't think many of these hot comics are being purchased by the audience that would appreciate them, but by speculators and collectors who want in on the current hot thing.

It seems any flimsy excuse will do too:

"This character is a favorite of cosplayers."

"This character is going to get 5 minutes in the next superhero movie."

"This character is going to make an appearance in the new 52 or Marvel now."

Except the 40 year old crowd was playing Sonic the hedgehog while high as kites in their dorm rooms in college. I suspect that is why the comics are worth something. I don't think Sonic back issues being hot now for a good 5+ years is purely being driven by speculators who have no nostalgia going on.

I agree that Sonic will have legs in the back issue market.

As you say you got the 40 years olds who were into Sonic back in the 1990s,then you got the young crowd who watch it on the Cartoon Network and play the modern Sonic videogames now.

So it`s the perfect storm to make some coin over the next few years.

(thumbs u

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Check out the prices on the Image Firsts copies as well. Not bad for a $1 book that is still on the shelves at LCSs.

Mind you, the most recent printing of Image Firsts #1 sells for up to $10 at shows here even though they are still in most of the LCSs.......

I would also buy:

Justice League Europe 37

Superman 62

Detective Comics 639

He really is.

Usually I'm pretty good about correcting errors an typos. I don't have a clue about what's in issue 37 because I meant to type 33.

There is also an issue of Sega Visions which has the same comic inside. I do not know what issue.

Sorry to the guy who bought a 37. My advice in that case is to confirm anything you read here cause humans make mistakes all the time. A simple search of the web would have shown you the correct issue of JLE and then you could have purchased it and enjoyed a poke at me for posting erroneous info or a nice post correcting me for the benefit of the community. Depends on what type of board member you are but I would have apologized either way.

I'm kidding, I got it out of a 50 cent box!

Hopefully you make a few bucks on this book because you've been a big advocate of it for awhile. I have two NM+ copies, do you think it's worth having them graded? I may send some books off to CGC....