• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

The dumb money seems a whole lot dumber this time than in the mid-'90s, but I guess that's just because we have the Internet to quantify the stupidity.

Smells like someone bet heavily on Ninjak once upon a time.

Wow ! I feel like Ninjak was the first Valiant character to cause the bubble to bust in the 90s. The print run on those books had to be high because there were stacks of them everywhere. lol

I enjoyed the heck out of Valiant books and especially Bloodshot, X-O, and Eternal Warrior. Still, I think Ninjak sealed the deal.

Geomancer helped!

One word: TUROK

Nuff said

Yup, that's trump. (thumbs u

The dumb money seems a whole lot dumber this time than in the mid-'90s, but I guess that's just because we have the Internet to quantify the stupidity.

No, but I do have a whole bunch of copies of Married with Children books with Kelly Bundy covers. Gonna be big some day, big I tell ya.

Sonic Variant 259 Auction

It has started…and yet no one knows why it was recalled. I actually bought the reg and variant cover today at the comic shop (one one copy each…at cover) and briefly went through them for curiosity reasons. Only thing different between the two is Front Cover and the last page (which it says there are two different endings…one for the each cover). Have no idea what is up unless it's hidden or so obvious no one thinks it would be an issue on first look.

Tidbit: It's Ian Flynn's 100th issue with the Sonic series.

It was recalled because it had an add for a TPB of a Mature Readers Comic in it. The Regular Cover didn't have that add only the Subscription Variant had the Add. The publisher felt that an Add for a Mature Readers Comic didn't belong in a Kids Comic. Plus the Add for the Mature Readers Comic was out of date. The add was for a TPB that came out in 2011. This Variant also has a corrected version of it without the add.

If both of your books have the exact same contents inside than you have the corrected Variant not the Recalled Variant.

It's something very similar to the Scooby Doo Where are You!

#7 Advert Error.

well I looked in my copy of the variant and there was nothing that I could see that would merit mature....

Collecting Valiant is like marital sex; nasty good at the start, over printed for years and rare at the end.

Being a Valiant fanatic....... there is literally no better way to describe Valiant collecting lmao!

Wow ! I feel like Ninjak was the first Valiant character to cause the bubble to bust in the 90s. The print run on those books had to be high because there were stacks of them everywhere. lol

I enjoyed the heck out of Valiant books and especially Bloodshot, X-O, and Eternal Warrior. Still, I think Ninjak sealed the deal.

Geomancer helped!

Haha ! I forgot about him. There were some really great books early and even some of the later stuff was good but there were some absolute duds mixed in. lol

Turok #1 is the one that issued in the end. When I was cleaning out the LCSs of their Valiant backstock (pre-unity, late run and incentives) they all had leftover longboxes of Turok #1, but only half boxes of Ninjak #1 left if that. I think it sold better due to the cover.

Sonic Variant 259 Auction

It has started…and yet no one knows why it was recalled. I actually bought the reg and variant cover today at the comic shop (one one copy each…at cover) and briefly went through them for curiosity reasons. Only thing different between the two is Front Cover and the last page (which it says there are two different endings…one for the each cover). Have no idea what is up unless it's hidden or so obvious no one thinks it would be an issue on first look.

Tidbit: It's Ian Flynn's 100th issue with the Sonic series.

It was recalled because it had an add for a TPB of a Mature Readers Comic in it. The Regular Cover didn't have that add only the Subscription Variant had the Add. The publisher felt that an Add for a Mature Readers Comic didn't belong in a Kids Comic. Plus the Add for the Mature Readers Comic was out of date. The add was for a TPB that came out in 2011. This Variant also has a corrected version of it without the add.

If both of your books have the exact same contents inside than you have the corrected Variant not the Recalled Variant.

It's something very similar to the Scooby Doo Where are You!

#7 Advert Error.

well I looked in my copy of the variant and there was nothing that I could see that would merit mature....

I haven't been able to locate the exact difference either. Can somebody take a pic of the internal page in question??

Early Deadpool appearances hold value, why should Rocket be any different? Look if Disney can make a buck off Figment who knows how high the ceiling is for Rocket.

------------

How so? NM 98 is worth some coin, but after that the next __ of appearances are still worthless (not that i don't pick them up if cheap). His mini is now worth something (although someone here was just selling them for $5 a copy, so not so much i guess) and the books from the 1990s series are good back issues, with the two punisher books bringing real coin, but for the most part we're talking about $5-$15 books, which is great, but this is $100 for RRs roughly 18th appearance. that's what i'm saying. a raw copy of wolverine's 18th appearance isn't worth that much.

Not saying it should be in the quarter box. Not saying it shouldn't be a $25-$40ish book raw. Not saying it shouldn't even be $100 as a 9.8 slab.

Early Deadpool appearances hold value, why should Rocket be any different? Look if Disney can make a buck off Figment who knows how high the ceiling is for Rocket.

------------

How so? NM 98 is worth some coin, but after that the next __ of appearances are still worthless (not that i don't pick them up if cheap). His mini is now worth something (although someone here was just selling them for $5 a copy, so not so much i guess) and the books from the 1990s series are good back issues, with the two punisher books bringing real coin, but for the most part we're talking about $5-$15 books, which is great, but this is $100 for RRs roughly 18th appearance. that's what i'm saying. a raw copy of wolverine's 18th appearance isn't worth that much.

Not saying it should be in the quarter box. Not saying it shouldn't be a $25-$40ish book raw. Not saying it shouldn't even be $100 as a 9.8 slab.

Print runs man. There's like half a million copies of X-Force #2 compared to 50K or so of GOTG #1, and it's the 1st appearance of the current team. You know, the one the movie is based on

Geomancer helped!

Haha ! I forgot about him. There were some really great books early and even some of the later stuff was good but there were some absolute duds mixed in. lol

Turok #1 is the one that issued in the end. When I was cleaning out the LCSs of their Valiant backstock (pre-unity, late run and incentives) they all had leftover longboxes of Turok #1, but only half boxes of Ninjak #1 left if that. I think it sold better due to the cover.

The difference is that the Ninjak and Bloodshot chrome covers could be unloaded for a buck if necessary, but Turok 1 was hopeless. Entire public housing projects in Cleveland are made out of Turok 1s.

I disagree that the money is dumber now. Yes, some of the prices are wacky, but for the most part those prices are for books that have 25K and less print-runs (or for older books that have had decades to become established like some of the hot coppers), so there can some scarcity involved when something gets hot. the internet very quickly shows whether the scarcity is real or not.

the 90s was about buying a palette of numbers 1s for a book with a print-run that exceeded the # of living comic collectors by 300% and deluding yourself into thinking these could all be flipped for $5-$15 each in due time. really a ponzi scheme and the typical collector, unless they wanted to set up at comic shows, really had no way to benefit from alleged price spikes unless they had a local shop that was fair about paying for back issues, which was rare. here, a collector can simply list online.

i do find it troubling how quickly things can cool off after getting hot overnight. pre-internet this sort of stuff took longer to heat up and cool down. imagine something being hot now for 2-3 years like in the early 90s for some of the 1st apps of various BA characters that got their own titles? (I guess we'll see how long thanos stays hot?)

------------

Print runs man. There's like half a million copies of X-Force #2 compared to 50K or so of GOTG #1, and it's the 1st appearance of the current team. You know, the one the movie is based on

Deadpool regular series had low print runs. Is #1 now even a $25 book yet (raw)? (I'm asking, when I sold a few of these a little while back it was not)

Yes, current team, but any new characters?

I'm blanking here, but is there any mainstream, non-variant, marvel (or even DC) from the last 10 years that is at $100 a pop like that? Batman 1 New 52 I guess is/was flirting with $70 in some sales?

I'll dig through my boxes. I might have a copy. If so, that price is TOTALLY justified and whoever is questioning it is a frigging insufficiently_thoughtful_person, myself included.

I suppose if Preacher 1 is a $100+ raw book, then anything makes sense as I assume Preacher had a healthy six figure print-run. A year ago I could have gone to a big show and come back with a box of Preacher 1s and likely not paid more than $10 each, perhaps even $5 or even $2. GOTG 1 might have been a $1-$2 box book, but good luck actually finding it in such a box. (Of course, I guess copies were on ebay...)

Geomancer helped!

Entire public housing projects in Cleveland are made out of Turok 1s.

:roflmao:

------------

Deadpool regular series had low print runs. Is #1 now even a $25 book yet (raw)? (I'm asking, when I sold a few of these a little while back it was not)

I'm blanking here, but is there any mainstream, non-variant, marvel (or even DC) from the last 10 years that is at $100 a pop like that? Batman 1 New 52 I guess is/was flirting with $70 in some sales?

I'll dig through my boxes. I might have a copy. If so, that price is TOTALLY justified and whoever is questioning it is a frigging insufficiently_thoughtful_person, myself included.

I suppose if Preacher 1 is a $100+ raw book, then anything makes sense as I assume Preacher had a healthy six figure print-run. A year ago I could have gone to a big show and come back with a box of Preacher 1s and likely not paid more than $10 each, perhaps even $5 or even $2. GOTG 1 might have been a $1-$2 box book, but good luck actually finding it in such a box. (Of course, I guess copies were on ebay...)

Information only:

Preacher did not have a healthy six figure print-run for #1. In Feb1995, it only managed a 28.2 index (approx 31020 to 33840 sales)

hi, wolverine's 18th app is approx x-men #107 (depending on how hulk 180/182 are regarded), so worth more than $100 raw. but took a lot more time to get there. also 1st star jammers, who prob can't be in a GOTG movie bc of Fox/x-men.

that said, i rather have x-men #107. best, jp

As was stated, print run was low for the time. Also, Preacher #1 is almost 20 years old.

hi, wolverine's 18th app is approx x-men #107 (depending on how hulk 180/182 are regarded), so worth more than $100 raw. but took a lot more time to get there. also 1st star jammers, who prob can't be in a GOTG movie bc of Fox/x-men.

that said, i rather have x-men #107. best, jp

Personally I would rather have Turok's 18th appearance.

------------

Information only:

Preacher did not have a healthy six figure print-run for #1. In Feb1995, it only managed a 28.2 index (approx 31020 to 33840 sales)

where is that coming from? does that data capture all the various distributors? by then the vertigo line was pretty well established and a new #1 one would think would have sold some copies. i find that very surprising. i know print-runs had already started to fall by then, but 35K numbers then were cancellation figures.