• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Just so happened to find one today, just sitting on top of a box near the floor of the LCS :shrug:

Had about 3 nice copies in my hand on wednesday. The Marvel money machine thought went through my head and I dropped 'em like they were hot. Now i wish i woild have bought them. One auction yesterday was at $16 on the bay. I could have made a little of that Disney money!! Haha

I rifled through a few of those Figment...just couldn't pull the trigger.

Haha ditto that. Wasted enough money on flavors of the week that never went anywhere. *Cough cough* Watson & Holmes, Helheim, Day Men, Escape From Jesus Island (cue the angry jagoff's response in 3-2-1...)

Edited by Lonzilla

Haha ditto that. Wasted enough money on flavors of the week that never went anywhere. *Cough cough* Watson & Holmes, Helheim, Day Men, Escape From Jesus Island (cue the angry jagoff's response in 3-2-1...)

Watson & Holmes and Day men certainly fetch a decent price. Good wins if you paid cover or less.

Ok, "Lonzilla"

I'll take the bait.

If you speculate on moderns, you cannot sit patiently waiting for another Walking Dead #1. You'll ante out.

You have to play what the market presents.

The market presented Figment.

Fortunately I recognized it was a very playable hand.

I'll play, & then play the next hand.

Watson & Holmes was VERY hot a couple times.

#1 Debut Week

#2 24 hours after it's media announcement

Helheim explosive for months, before the gurgle.

Day Men: plenty of cash there. It was cool out of the gate, then explosive before cooling.

Escape From Jesus Island.

If it "pops", I'm in good position. I stand by the pick.

I've made cash on them all.

Funny that you lost.

Angry jagoff's that cannot hit the window on moderns should perhaps try something else...

Ok, "Lonzilla"

I'll take the bait.

If you speculate on moderns, you cannot sit patiently waiting for another Walking Dead #1. You'll ante out.

#1 Debut Week

Day Men: plenty of cash there. It was cool out of the gate, then explosive before cooling.

Funny that you lost.

Angry jagoff's that cannot hit the window on moderns should perhaps try something else...

Yes, "Larry"

There is only one Walking Dead, a once in a lifetime phenom and I've realized that long long ago, didn't have to be pointed out.

Watson & Holmes was "hot" for a day. By "hot" that's selling for more than $10, then wasn't even $10 steadily by the time the 2nd issue came out. After the media announcement, which nobody buying seems to care about, you could maybe get double cover price. Whoopee.

Helheim, died as fast as it began. Wasn't even selling for cover price after a month.

Day Men was pumped and dumped. Still see 1st prints in bins for $2 above cover, not worth my time.

Jesus Island, who knows? Aint moving yet

Neither of the above mentioned books are anything I bought more than 3 copies of so I didn't lose anything other than a few bucks which could've been spent elsewhere. Still a waste of money to me if they're books I don't find to be worth reading (like Pretty Deadly)

The only book I bought 10 or more copies of in the last 2 years that I've been wrong about is Mercenary Sea, so far.

What's funny is that you run a business and actually have repeat customers

Edited by Lonzilla

Ok, "Lonzilla"

I'll take the bait.

#1 Debut Week

Funny that you lost.

Yes, "Larry"

There is only one Walking Dead, a once in a lifetime phenom and I've realized that long long ago, didn't have to be pointed out.

Watson & Holmes was "hot" for a day. By "hot" that's selling for more than $10, then wasn't even $10 steadily by the time the 2nd issue came out. After the media announcement, which nobody buying seems to care about, you could maybe get double cover price. Whoopee.

Helheim, died as fast as it began. Wasn't even selling for cover price after a month.

Day Men was pumped and dumped. Still see 1st prints in bins for $2 above cover, not worth my time.

Jesus Island, who knows? Aint moving yet

Neither of the above mentioned books are anything I bought more than 3 copies of so I didn't lose anything other than a few bucks which could've been spent elsewhere. Still a waste of money to me if they're books I don't find to be worth reading (like Pretty Deadly)

The only book I bought 10 or more copies of in the last 2 years that I've been wrong about is Mercenary Sea, so far.

What's funny is that you run a business and actually have repeat customers

Submit all of your Mercenary Sea copies tomorrow if you still can. Surprisingly sales are steady around $50 shipped auction, $60-70 shipped BIN.

Ok, "Lonzilla"

I'll take the bait.

#1 Debut Week

Funny that you lost.

Sounds like a helluva lot of work to earn a few bucks. Aside from books that sell for any kind of real money (e.g. The Strain), speculating in recent moderns seems like a collosal waste of time, even if IRR is respectable.

Sounds like a helluva lot of work to earn a few bucks. Aside from books that sell for any kind of real money (e.g. The Strain), speculating in recent moderns seems like a collosal waste of time, even if IRR is respectable.

Yea, a lot of work, like you would have to own a comic shop or something, huh?

I would guess less than 5% of the participants in the CGC modern threads own shops, but all seem to enjoy speculating. With online deep discounters the playing field is pretty even these days.

There's not a ton of cash in it compared to other segments of the hobby.

The reason I think that I enjoy it so much is its fluidity.

It literally changes every Wednesday & never ends.

Agree... flipping moderns on ebay is time consuming and as mentioned by others you have to try to hit the best window if you can. Often it's better to dump something pretty soon after it heats up, especially if it is gimmicky, so just sitting on a stack of books and waiting for the ship to come in isn't going to get you far unless you are lucky. It helps if you are quite well read when it comes to comics so you can decide for yourself which ones are going to be the keepers based on their own merit and print run.

I mentioned "The Strain" ages ago and picked up a few because they were dirt cheap so why not take a punt? Never really expect it to do so well. It's a comic based on a novel that now has a TV show and the market has decided it is hot hot hot. Frankly it still baffles me now because I don't see the difference between it and say the Game of Thrones comic or anything else that is an adaptation of another format. Shouldn't really appeal to the wider comic collecting culture in its own right... almost as if it's just people jumping on a bandwagon. I would be willing to bet that only a small percentage of boardies have even read "The Strain" comics but they sure as hell have sold them all the same. This may well be true for a lot of other flash in the pan stuff, just people getting wound up by everything pumped on here and review blogs giving high ratings to so many releases it's not true.

If you find it easy to get excited about a new title just because the CGC boards are raving about it then this should by now be ringing alarm bells in your head. If you can identify where you went wrong, if you go wrong, then that's half the battle. There seems to be this mentality out there that there are "monthly picks" which can be chased... that's what can lead to a lot of effort, spreading yourself massively thin.

Flipping moderns is still a fun hobby and it's still not difficult to rake in a few hundred dollars with each listing. What is making it harder for some could be that they are not appreciating that most new titles use the first issue to get a head start so they can fund the next few and it will be top heavy for a long long time, possibly always. That and there are a lot more people out there flipping now which retailers are slowly going to absorb.

2c

I have several customers that supplement their modern comic collection by speculating.

They make several hundred dollars a week.

They work hard, but genuinely seem to enjoy it.

I love hearing which shop had what when they go out "picking."

So were there any big announcements at the conventions today ?

Yes.

Bernie dies in TWD #127.

I probably should have put that in spoilers.

I'll miss the big fella.

So were there any big announcements at the conventions today ?

Yes.

Bernie dies in TWD #127.

I probably should have put that in spoilers.

I'll miss the big fella.

lol

As long as the board survives, so will Bernie (thumbs u