• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Why is there a debate over the #1 and #6 issues in relation to Coulson ( I know few care lol ) ? He appears in the first issue as cheese. If Superman showed up in a book and people called him Clark for 5 issues, would the first 1 not be his first appearance ? For the record I have 1 of each of his possible 1st appearances including the cartoon book.

1st Clark Kent yes, 1st Superman, no. There are plenty instances of this. This circumstance isn't so cut and dry because Coulson is a regular human and doesn't have a costume.

This is all just conversation. At this point the market has decided #6 is the one that demands money.

Well you know how I feel about the market determining facts about comics. In this case the market only reflects the lack of knowledge concerning these two characters first appearances. I hate to use Harley Quinn as the prime example but if her face appeared in a secret file at the end of BA 11 the market would change over night and we wouldn't be talking cameo either, it would be a first appearance conversation. The only difference here is that Nick Fury Jr isn't a beloved character.

Coulson on the other hand had a few appearances prior to Battle Scars, this being his first. There really is no disputing this no matter what Battle Scars 6 sells for.

oneshot_zpscd436fb2.jpg

Im sure she appeared in the image box for the next issue in Batman Adventures 11. Why arent you pimping that like Superman Adventures 4?

I have never made a dime of of Superman Adventures 4 and there is no image of Harley prior to BA12 ( unless you count her appearance in a certain children's book ) Also Superman adv 4 is harder to find now than it was prior to those thread discussions so maybe the market corrected itself a bit on that one.

I have never made a dime of of Superman Adventures 4 and there is no image of Harley prior to BA12 ( unless you count her appearance in a certain children's book )

There is an image of Harley in Batman Chronicles Gallery 1 that pre-dates her first in-DC-continuity appearance in the Batman: Harley Quinn book with the Ross cover though.

That is actually pretty cheap when you consider its 5 slabbed books from an extremely limited printed set.

I agree. I was just surprised because I thought I remembered seeing 9.8 sets for that or less during the winter. Maybe somebody else can pull it up, I don't know how.

I have never made a dime of of Superman Adventures 4 and there is no image of Harley prior to BA12 ( unless you count her appearance in a certain children's book )

There is an image of Harley in Batman Chronicles Gallery 1 that pre-dates her first in-DC-continuity appearance in the Batman: Harley Quinn book with the Ross cover though.

Very cool, I love stuff like this.

Never noticed .... :baiting:

Mr Ween is the 1st appearance KING !

300px-Batman_Chronicles_Gallery_1.jpg

img458.jpg

img459.jpg

Beats the Ross cover book by about 2 years. Just an art/pinup book, and obviously doesn't tell her origin.

Mr Ween is the 1st appearance KING !

I prefer evil warlord :D

yonderland-Negatus_zps6045de34.jpg

Why is there a debate over the #1 and #6 issues in relation to Coulson ( I know few care lol ) ? He appears in the first issue as cheese. If Superman showed up in a book and people called him Clark for 5 issues, would the first 1 not be his first appearance ? For the record I have 1 of each of his possible 1st appearances including the cartoon book.

1st Clark Kent yes, 1st Superman, no. There are plenty instances of this. This circumstance isn't so cut and dry because Coulson is a regular human and doesn't have a costume.

This is all just conversation. At this point the market has decided #6 is the one that demands money.

Well you know how I feel about the market determining facts about comics. In this case the market only reflects the lack of knowledge concerning these two characters first appearances. I hate to use Harley Quinn as the prime example but if her face appeared in a secret file at the end of BA 11 the market would change over night and we wouldn't be talking cameo either, it would be a first appearance conversation. The only difference here is that Nick Fury Jr isn't a beloved character.

Coulson on the other hand had a few appearances prior to Battle Scars, this being his first. There really is no disputing this no matter what Battle Scars 6 sells for.

It's not that the market doesn't know about these first appearances, it's that the market does not care for them as much. The market is not always consistent and rational. Is Hulk 180 more of a first appearance than Jimmy Olsen 134? Probably, but the market doesn't care as much. Anyone that I have met that wants and can afford a Hulk 181 knows it's not the true first appearance but they don't care, 181 is the book they want. Are they sheep being mislead by the market forces into thinking they want something that is not really what they are seeking? Perhaps, but collecting comics is an inherently unreasonable thing for grown men to do, trying to force collectors into a box sucks the fun out of the hobby. People want the books they want and it doesn't always make sense but that's the beauty of the hobby. The zeitgeist of the hobby is usually pretty good about picking the best early appearance and making it the most valuable.

Remember when this thread was about comics heating up on eBay..

Here ya go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hellboy-the-Fury-3-super-rare-/191234288001?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c8673a981

What makes that book rare?

I have no idea, didn't even know it existed before today. I'm also not sure how I feel about the seller's display method in pic 3.

Here ya go

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hellboy-the-Fury-3-super-rare-/191234288001?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c8673a981

I have no idea, didn't even know it existed before today. I'm also not sure how I feel about the seller's display method in pic 3.

Here's your answer on the HELLBOY: THE FURY #3 Variant Edition --

http://recalledcomics.com/HellboyTheFury3Variant.php

It's not that the market doesn't know about these first appearances, it's that the market does not care for them as much. The market is not always consistent and rational. Is Hulk 180 more of a first appearance than Jimmy Olsen 134? Probably, but the market doesn't care as much. Anyone that I have met that wants and can afford a Hulk 181 knows it's not the true first appearance but they don't care, 181 is the book they want. Are they sheep being mislead by the market forces into thinking they want something that is not really what they are seeking? Perhaps, but collecting comics is an inherently unreasonable thing for grown men to do, trying to force collectors into a box sucks the fun out of the hobby. People want the books they want and it doesn't always make sense but that's the beauty of the hobby. The zeitgeist of the hobby is usually pretty good about picking the best early appearance and making it the most valuable.

Very true. I'm still waiting for Overstreet and CGC, and the collectors as a whole to realize that Strange Tales 180 is just a brief cameo appearance of Gamora, her 1st full appearance and name reveal is in ST 181.

Until then I'll keep picking up those ST 181's cheap

Edited by Lonzilla

Here ya go

Looks like it's a variant.

Enormous is still cooking. I read it again last night and still can't get over the art. How long do you think it takes to produce a book of this quality ?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=spread+%231&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.Xenormous&_nkw=enormous&_sacat=63

I'm not sure whether this book is digitally painted like Clayton Crain's work on Rai, but after the currently monthly arc wraps up on that book, there's going to be a 3-month hiatus before it returns in December. So (for that book) I'm guessing close to two months for the art on a complete normal-sized issue. Seems comparable here, although Enormous was an extra-sized issue. Are these puns already old?