• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Why so many different bidders? I need to start listing with top loaders...er...CGC like cases

Sometimes I see an auction like this that seems inexplicable to me and it makes me suspicious. Why so many bidders? Why so much? There were hundreds and hundreds of auctions up for other copies of Outcast during this auction. It makes no sense from any logical perspective.

The seller definitely pitched it differently than other listings so it seemed more lucrative to the bidders. In their mind its GUARANTEED to come back 9.8. so at 9.8+subbing fees its a pretty accurate figure... Now about those sharp corners...

Im pretty sure that LWA 36 & 37 will be as big if not bigger than death of superman (well not that its big now, but if anyone remember how hot that book was in the 90s). Im basing this on the considerably low amount printed (just shy of 30k?) and the MASSIVE hysteria that the media is creating around this book. Just today I saw coverage of it on 2 major networks and at least a few dozen discussions on my facebook feed (none of my friends/peers are into comics btw) and to me that translates as a huge interest. Plus I think that Archie is more popular with the ladies than supes hehe.. I wish that I knew which variants to scoop but at this rate I may pick any I could get.. And you??

Im pretty sure that LWA 36 & 37 will be as big if not bigger than death of superman (well not that its big now, but if anyone remember how hot that book was in the 90s). Im basing this on the considerably low amount printed (just shy of 30k?) and the MASSIVE hysteria that the media is creating around this book. Just today I saw coverage of it on 2 major networks and at least a few dozen discussions on my facebook feed (none of my friends/peers are into comics btw) and to me that translates as a huge interest. Plus I think that Archie is more popular with the ladies than supes hehe.. I wish that I knew which variants to scoop but at this rate I may pick any I could get.. And you??

Which are most appealing to you? Likely there are others that would agree and want those ones as well.

As for the demographic that collects Archie vs. Superman. I would agree, probably more women, well maybe, but also definitely less men which make up the majority of collectors/buyers.

Get any that you can at cost at this point. The book is en llamas!

I would also say get any copies you can. I ordered ten each of the Francavilla, Hughes and Perez covers on Midtown's website before they cut it to one per customer. Now I wish I had bought more. Still thirty copies should not be bad, now I just hope that they do not arrive beat up. I usually do alright with Midtown so hopefully this will be another case of that versus the few times where my stuff comes with smashed corners.

Get any that you can at cost at this point. The book is en llamas!

I would also say get any copies you can. I ordered ten each of the Francavilla, Hughes and Perez covers on Midtown's website before they cut it to one per customer. Now I wish I had bought more. Still thirty copies should not be bad, now I just hope that they do not arrive beat up. I usually do alright with Midtown so hopefully this will be another case of that versus the few times where my stuff comes with smashed corners.

Cover C (Francavilla) seems to be the only one available on the Midtown website right now.

I ordered the covers I liked the best - Perez for #36 and Chiang for #37.

I'm a little irritated. I found a shop that still had some of the variants of S.B. #1 on the rack at cover. I didn't clean them out, but I did take 2 each of 3 or 4 different covers. This is a place where I've never had an issue buying multiples of comics before and they know me there as I drop by 2-3 times a month with my son.

Mind you, I already spent $15 on dollar box books, a $3.50 rack book and an $8 TPB for my kid before I went back to the rack to double check to see if there was anything interesting and I found these buried behind some other stuff.

Anyway, he tells me there is a limit of one copy per rack book so that everyone has a chance. I say "but it's already on the second print of #2 or maybe #3, didn't that already happen." He says that's the new policy and he proceeds to ring me up for the variant cover of his choice. I say wait, you mean one of each cover right, I like to collect all the variants. NO, he says, one copy. At this point I'm irritated because I suspect the owner probably means one of each cover, but he's not there, so I pick the third eye variant as I liked it better than the one he originally rang up, but anyway, seriously, what's the point of printing variant covers when a shop won't let you buy them???

I get not letting me clean out the shelves and buy multiples, sort of, but I get that more within 2 weeks of it hitting the stands, not 2 months later. And also, at least they're not holding back to make them $15 as they don't sell back issues, but it's annoying as I did buy other stuff, even at full retail, and he wouldn't even let me get a second copy as a purchase "by" my son who was with me (not sure if S.B. is appropriate for an 8.5 year old, but I digress). often I actually do buy to collect and I was thinking I wouldn't flip these.

/\/\/\

It's not uncommon for a shop to limit to one copy per customer. Some even have signs up. If they don't want to make money that's their problem. Just remember that and decide if you want to take them your business in the future.

I'm a little irritated. I found a shop that still had some of the variants of S.B. #1 on the rack at cover. I didn't clean them out, but I did take 2 each of 3 or 4 different covers. This is a place where I've never had an issue buying multiples of comics before and they know me there as I drop by 2-3 times a month with my son.

Mind you, I already spent $15 on dollar box books, a $3.50 rack book and an $8 TPB for my kid before I went back to the rack to double check to see if there was anything interesting and I found these buried behind some other stuff.

Anyway, he tells me there is a limit of one copy per rack book so that everyone has a chance. I say "but it's already on the second print of #2 or maybe #3, didn't that already happen." He says that's the new policy and he proceeds to ring me up for the variant cover of his choice. I say wait, you mean one of each cover right, I like to collect all the variants. NO, he says, one copy. At this point I'm irritated because I suspect the owner probably means one of each cover, but he's not there, so I pick the third eye variant as I liked it better than the one he originally rang up, but anyway, seriously, what's the point of printing variant covers when a shop won't let you buy them???

I get not letting me clean out the shelves and buy multiples, sort of, but I get that more within 2 weeks of it hitting the stands, not 2 months later. And also, at least they're not holding back to make them $15 as they don't sell back issues, but it's annoying as I did buy other stuff, even at full retail, and he wouldn't even let me get a second copy as a purchase "by" my son who was with me (not sure if S.B. is appropriate for an 8.5 year old, but I digress). often I actually do buy to collect and I was thinking I wouldn't flip these.

Put books in car, put on fake mustache and walk right back in and buy another copy, put new book in car, take off fake mustache and put on a pair of fake glasses and buy another copy

I can understand a retailer having this policy as they have to do whatever they deem best for thier business but I have also seen the unintended consequences of a policy like this in another business.

My wife used to take my girls to Hallmark to buy plush toys called Webkinz. They were buying 2 each and selling one on ebay to help pay for the ones they kept for their own. These were quite popular and not a cheap buy at that time. One day, my wife goes into the Hallmark and the owner of the store put a 1 per customer limit on them. It was the last time my wife or kids bought them or went to that Hallmark. I personally think it was a bad policy and a worse decision for the retailer as my wife used to spend a lot of money on other stuff at her shop.

Which are most appealing to you? Likely there are others that would agree and want those ones as well.

As for the demographic that collects Archie vs. Superman. I would agree, probably more women, well maybe, but also definitely less men which make up the majority of collectors/buyers.

The Fiona Staples is an obvious choice to me. But I say get them all.

Tomorrow is going to be crazy!!!!

The Fiona Staples is an obvious choice to me. But I say get them all.

Tomorrow is going to be crazy!!!!

See you at Midtown... :banana:

/\/\/\

It's not uncommon for a shop to limit to one copy per customer. Some even have signs up. If they don't want to make money that's their problem. Just remember that and decide if you want to take them your business in the future.

This I understand, especially at a place like this.

I'm kvetching about not being allowed to buy one of each cover, not multiples of each issue. This is WHY they print multiple covers, to get chuckleheads like me to buy one of each! I was "forced" (not really) to pick which one I liked the most! Wahhhhhhhhh

Edited by the blob