• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,836 posts in this topic

I just visited CHU. I like this:

"Remember, variants go up, variants go down, but as long as you are buying art you like you can never go wrong."

"It is always great to walk into your local comic shop and pick up comics each Wednesday, it is even better when some of the books you picked up can be sold for multiple times cover price by the end of the week."

he must buy one of everything or just gets lucky that every week he buys a comic that's worth several times cover by the end of the week. Sunflower 1 I think is this weeks hot item. Not sure why though.

Edited by krighton

Speculators happen. There are good speculators and bad speculators (the ones Fastball mentioned that lie and create websites in order to manipulate the market to their own ends). In the end though, for speculators to survive, collectors must outnumber them by a decent ratio. If the ratio drops or, god forbid, speculators outnumber collectors, then speculators are in for a shock. Right now, I think there are still more collectors than speculators but the ratio has shrunk significantly over the last few years. in an oversimplified nutshell, the 90's crash happened because the speculator dollar vastly outnumbered the collector dollar.

The relationship between speculators and collectors can be mutually beneficial, like a symbiotic relationship but if the balance is thrown off, it can become parasitic. Collectors are the host body, and the host can only maintain a certain number of parasites before it becomes ill. I don't think we are there yet, but speculators seem to multiply faster than collectors, like weeds versus an old growth forrest. This analogy may be offensive to some, but I don't mean it to be because I don't have a problem with ethical speculators.

Oh, and a guy that sells a GA book and upgrades is not necessarily a speculator. Collectors have long preferred high grade books, hence the demand. I think you can trace the multiples of guide value for high grade books to the Edgar Church collection. Many of those books have not changed hands since Chuck sold them. The people that bought those books were and still are old growth collectors.

Speculators bring in money which creates interest.

Readers create interest as well.

Let`s enjoy this boom.

It`s one of the few hobbies that actually is experiencing growth.

Anybody want to talk stamps or Hummels?

Comics is one of the few hobbies that still has a good collecting core.

There is something new happening in the world of comics everyday. 2c

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Speculators happen. There are good speculators and bad speculators (the ones Fastball mentioned that lie and create websites in order to manipulate the market to their own ends). In the end though, for speculators to survive, collectors must outnumber them by a decent ratio. If the ratio drops or, god forbid, speculators outnumber collectors, then speculators are in for a shock. Right now, I think there are still more collectors than speculators but the ratio has shrunk significantly over the last few years. in an oversimplified nutshell, the 90's crash happened because the speculator dollar vastly outnumbered the collector dollar.

The relationship between speculators and collectors can be mutually beneficial, like a symbiotic relationship but if the balance is thrown off, it can become parasitic. Collectors are the host body, and the host can only maintain a certain number of parasites before it becomes ill. I don't think we are there yet, but speculators seem to multiply faster than collectors, like weeds versus an old growth forrest. This analogy may be offensive to some, but I don't mean it to be because I don't have a problem with ethical speculators.

Oh, and a guy that sells a GA book and upgrades is not necessarily a speculator. Collectors have long preferred high grade books, hence the demand. I think you can trace the multiples of guide value for high grade books to the Edgar Church collection. Many of those books have not changed hands since Chuck sold them. The people that bought those books were and still are old growth collectors.

Let`s enjoy this boom.

Yes another round of All-New, All-Different Invincible, Inhuman, Uncanny MARVEL NOW NOW right NOW #1. 4-6 months later repeat this tile switching around the order of wording.....rinse repeat. :makepoint::roflmao:

Let`s enjoy this boom.

No, but tell me when you're ready to talk Beanie Babies. :cloud9:

I just visited CHU. I like this:

"Remember, variants go up, variants go down, but as long as you are buying art you like you can never go wrong."

"It is always great to walk into your local comic shop and pick up comics each Wednesday, it is even better when some of the books you picked up can be sold for multiple times cover price by the end of the week."

What's CHU, "Comics Huckster University"? lol

Let`s enjoy this boom.

Yes another round of All-New, All-Different Invincible, Inhuman, Uncanny MARVEL NOW NOW right NOW #1. 4-6 months later repeat this tile switching around the order of wording.....rinse repeat. :makepoint::roflmao:

:signfunny:

Wonder if Sword of Azrael and Batman #488 will heat up a bit now?

EXCLUSIVE: Gotham EP Confirms Azrael Coming to Gotham with Order of St. Dumas

:o

A key piece of that mythology was the reveal that the Galavan family is really of the Dumas line, and that the Order of St. Dumas is involved in their scheme of revenge against Gotham in general and the Wayne family in particular. Of course, in the comic books, where the Order of St. Dumas goes, typically their chief warrior follows, and that means Azrael could come to Gotham in some form, and very soon. We asked Gotham EP John Stephens about the Order of St. Dumas and their warrior vigilante, and he was surprisingly candid.

"We will be going deeper into the Order of St. Dumas over the next run of episodes, and it will continue to play an evolving role for the rest of the season," Stephens told ComicBook.com exclusively. Of course, there was a second half, and when I asked him about the link between St. Dumas and Azrael, he blew my mind. "And yes, we wouldn’t be telling an Order of St. Dumas story without also intending to tell an Azrael story. Just keep watching.”

Yes another round of All-New, All-Different Invincible, Inhuman, Uncanny MARVEL NOW NOW right NOW #1. 4-6 months later repeat this tile switching around the order of wording.....rinse repeat.

-----------

And this is why I have a hard time being interested in new marvel books.

DC has at least had the decency not to re-boot for the last 3 or 4 years, although I am sure that's around the corner.

Don't they know that some segment of the reader/collector-base just dropped out when they dropped the numbering of the mainstream titles that had been at it for 40+ years? Yes, I know, it's juvenile of me, they're either worth reading or they aren't, but i like order and re-boots every 2 or 3 years just drive me nuts!

Yes another round of All-New, All-Different Invincible, Inhuman, Uncanny MARVEL NOW NOW right NOW #1. 4-6 months later repeat this tile switching around the order of wording.....rinse repeat.

-----------

DC has at least had the decency not to re-boot for the last 3 or 4 years, although I am sure that's around the corner.

Don't they know that some segment of the reader/collector-base just dropped out when they dropped the numbering of the mainstream titles that had been at it for 40+ years? Yes, I know, it's juvenile of me, they're either worth reading or they aren't, but i like order and re-boots every 2 or 3 years just drive me nuts!

I'm pretty sure this reboot is for all the potential new-blood that has been pouring into comicons lately.

They have now idea where to begin.

Now they do.

I loved all five of today's offerings personally.

Ant Man was just fantastic ( I loved Superior Foes a bit too much )

frankly, they could have a big #1 on the cover so long as in the fine print it said "722" or whatever, like they did a few years ago for spiderman and i guess some others. they want to retrofit the characters, change the origins, whatever, keep the gosh darn numbers I have known since 1976 or whenever i picked up my first comic!

i really only care about a few of the titles -- ASM, X-Men, FF, Avengers. I wish they had not messed with DD. I can live with Hulk, Captain America, and Thor as those weren't their "real" numbers anyway. And iron man, he's a 1968 title, so i don't care as much.

And while I was not a reader of Batman, Detective, Action and Superman, they shouldn't have messed with those either.

I have an idea. It may not be the best idea, but it's an idea. What if a company produced comic bags (or nice mylars) with the appropriate issue # printed on them for all long running titles that have had the reboot back to #1 BS. Or...(and this probably makes more sense $ wise) stickers with the same font as the books with the appropriate missing issue numbers from the run that could be placed on whatever bags the collector already has. Along with each package there could be a little guide showing the cover of each book along with what # it should be in the overall series numbering.

It's obviously not perfect, but it's something.

Its a whole lot better idea than what they've tried before. I have no doubt that they pull some new readers with all of the #1 issues but it seems that they'd probably lose a lot of sure things by alienating the old collectors. Unlike most things that sell, collectors rarely quit buying as they age. We aren't talking about TVs, cars, and houses. Stuff you only need 1 of but stuff we keep adding to. lol

Personally, my purchases of new issues over the last 20 years vastly outnumbers the first 20+ years of collecting. If Marvel and DC added new characters to existing ones, they would have more success imo.

-----------

I'm pretty sure this reboot is for all the potential new-blood that has been pouring into comicons lately.

They have now idea where to begin.

Now they do.

I loved all five of today's offerings personally.

Ant Man was just fantastic ( I loved Superior Foes a bit too much )

I would argue that it is due to flagging sales on the super-hero titles, not wanting to attract the new-blood at cons, that is the reason. This latest relaunch is just a rehash of what Marvel, and DC to a lesser extent (how many Justice League, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. volumes have their been the past 20 years?), have been doing to try to pump up sales volumes.

My observation over the past five years of increasing con attendance re: new-bloods is this - for new books, Harley and Deadpool are the most consistent sellers, DC New 52 (especially Batman) is still in demand four years out, and outside of Death of Wolverine #1-4 (still selling well at $40 per set), Deadpool, Spider-Gwen #1 and ASM vol 4 #4 most recent Marvel books are dead. However, the biggest place the new-blood is putting their money up here is...................Silver/Bronze/Copper keys. If it is a key back issue it will sell.

Edited by kimik