• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,841 posts in this topic

i will still never understand this gravitation to later printings... sure its a lower print run... but its still a 2nd/3rd/4th print???? id rather have the book released first, not something released months later... but im older... what do i know...

I agree with you 100%. I seriously doubt anyone purchasing second and third prints for big bucks is putting them away for the long term. I'm sure they are probably going to flip them. IMO buying second and third prints for big money is extremely risky. I understand that some 2nd prints are valuable but most are not. Personally I would never purchase a second or third print. They are reprints and the chances of them being pretty much worthless one day is pretty high.

i will still never understand this gravitation to later printings... sure its a lower print run... but its still a 2nd/3rd/4th print???? id rather have the book released first, not something released months later... but im older... what do i know...

I agree with you 100%. I seriously doubt anyone purchasing second and third prints for big bucks is putting them away for the long term. I'm sure they are probably going to flip them. IMO buying second and third prints for big money is extremely risky. I understand that some 2nd prints are valuable but most are not. Personally I would never purchase a second or third print. They are reprints and the chances of them being pretty much worthless one day is pretty high.

Agreed. However i do believe and understand if it were registry collectors or completionists buying these later printings.

WD 97-102 2nd prints ( with #100 3rd) is a nice set that sells for about $75 raw. That's good amount of profit if you got them at cover, or less than cover a few months after they came out.

I'm going say the worst name around here: Bedlam. I bought all of the 2nd prints because I like Rossmo's covers better than Irving's and none will ever be worth squat.

I pick up Deadpool 2008 series 2nd, 3rd, 4th prints for my pc when I see them at a LCS or convention because the covers are usually amusing. If I ever wanted to unload them, there's plenty of Deadpool completists out there

Ok..old man logan just got his own ongoing for jan. The next movie is rumored to be based on him. yes 7100 is very low for a book that was originally published at 97500. Demand for this book is very very high and a 2nd or 3rd print is very hard to find. I did not understand the market at first but really its all common sense. A 2ND print with new art on cover a lowere numbers on a hot new character concept is in higher demant than what is available. its really that simple...supply and demant. this is how all good investments are made. thanks for you input. Every opinion is important.

You sound like someone who has a case of Old Man Logan 2nd prints to unload. Just checked your posts and that's pretty much the only thing you've talked about in your posts, in three different threads

lol:ohnoez:

Yes i am old as well so i understand you perfectly. thing is the hobby and investment side changes with time. some people want what not all others have. 2nd and 3rd prints are not what they were many years ago. They are made when a book sells out at Diamond dist. so rite away they produce another print to compansate for the high demand. Back in the day thete were so many copies produced that damand did not exceed supply. this is why for example. Demon #1..a hot book atm is readily available in anywhere. Never a need for another print.

Comic were reprinted "back in the day". I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say here.

Yes i am old as well so i understand you perfectly. thing is the hobby and investment side changes with time. some people want what not all others have. 2nd and 3rd prints are not what they were many years ago. They are made when a book sells out at Diamond dist. so rite away they produce another print to compansate for the high demand. Back in the day thete were so many copies produced that damand did not exceed supply. this is why for example. Demon #1..a hot book atm is readily available in anywhere. Never a need for another print.

Also, consider this, some publishers plan their reprints. It is part of their marketing strategy so they can declare a book was a sell out. In fact, the interior of those reprints are printed along with the first prints.

When were the first reprints/2d prints from the big guys? Was it Star Wars 1? I know undergrounds did it very early.

(I know Marvel, DC, etc. had their "reprint" titles like Marvel Tales and what not)

When were the first reprints/2d prints from the big guys? Was it Star Wars 1? I know undergrounds did it very early.

(I know Marvel, DC, etc. had their "reprint" titles like Marvel Tales and what not)

Marvel Comics #1 was reprinted. So, reprints go pretty far back:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Comics

"The issue was a great success, with it and a second printing the following month selling, combined, nearly 900,000 copies."

Superman #1 had 3 printings.

Edited by rjrjr

interesting. but do they know how to differentiate those oldies? they don't say it on them, do they?

i guess there is also the blue star cap 103, which i just learned about here

Marvel Comics #1 was reprinted. So, reprints go pretty far back:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Comics

"The issue was a great success, with it and a second printing the following month selling, combined, nearly 900,000 copies."

Superman #1 had 3 printings.

The Dark Knight Returns had 1st,2nd, and 3rd printings for #1 and #2. Issue #3 had a 2nd printing and issue #4 was a 1st print only.

Also, consider this, some publishers plan their reprints. It is part of their marketing strategy so they can declare a book was a sell out. In fact, the interior of those reprints are printed along with the first prints.

Why would they plan a 2nd print before it sells out? Do you have an example of this? Any proof?

Why would they plan a 2nd print before it sells out? Do you have an example of this? Any proof?

Not sure if there is concrete evidence but one of the "publishers" rjrj is referring to is probably image? Look at books like nowhere men. Small print run from the gate but had subsequent printings of issue one. Same with Saga. That series has 5 reprints of #1 and 2 reprints under the "image first " label. You would think they would be better at forecasting numbers versus going to press all the time. lol

its only on here, and a few other spec hubs, and the lower print runs mean its small enough that a few people can make the supply disappear and have a disproportionate effect on the price. It's the pinnacle of the CGC Forum pump, and its ideal because they are cover price unwanted books, up until a stampede/gold rush is started via the forums

Ok..you just got ignorant lmfaooo :D. 1ST OF ALL WE TALK ABOUT WHAT WE WANT HERE.2nd if you don't like it ignore..or don't comment. I never tried or stated i was selling anything..and if i had a case of Timely Love stories...so what? You day a statement about me..not even knowing me. You do that why??? Oh..I'm sute i know why lol but I'm not going to assume anything about your lame on a post :) Have a great day sir

Exactly what i said sir. back in the day. 80s 90s. A book like new mutants 87 that printed half a million copies was not reprinted because it sold out 1st month of solicitation. this is most of the reason for so many reprints today. what else do you not understand..maybe i can help :)