• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

We started talking about Monstress here in December just a few weeks after it came out. We talked about the great art and story, I personally am not surprised it has done well. Its not TWD or Saga but this is a definitely a great book.

besides it has a really really really low print run......

Awesome. Like I said I was not aware of what specifically (if anything) lead to its seemingly prompt uptick in interest. I agree it is a very high quality book.

Okay, I had the wrong "investment" site, but this is the link that caused Monstress to take off (even before it started getting talked about here):

http://investcomics.com/weekly-hot-picks/investcomics-hot-picks-401

It references a previous Hot Pick blog from October 29th:

http://investcomics.com/weekly-hot-picks/investcomics-hot-picks-396

Notice the original blog says no copies were on eBay. That original blog came out before Monstress was released on November 4th! Of course there were no copies for sale on eBay. :facepalm: Misleading? Seems so to me...

I remember checking eBay when that 2nd blog was posted, and sure enough, Monstress #1 was available for cover price or less. Within days, those copies disappeared.

High quality or not, the simple fact is, nobody cared about that comic until that investment site posted about it. Then it sold out very, very quickly.

I'm not disputing if the comic warrants the speculation or not. Just saying that is an example of a comic that was hyped on an investment site first, then people became interested using the misleading information that no copies were for sale on eBay.

And the reason I remember this, I pointed out back then that this site was manipulating the market for this book.

Every new book is featured by these sites now. Just so they say they can told you so. Several of us cared about the book right after we read it. I went back and bought 3 copies at my LCS as soon I read it. Let me tell you it was tough to find nice copies.

Every new book is speculated on now. People have disposable income and they are buying 50 copies at a time for some of these books easy. They aren't going to tell you about the ones they lost on. The speculation sites are the same way.

Was their some manipulation? Probably its impossible not to have some. But honestly the people saying the like the book aren't people involved with these sites for the most part. The manipulation on raw is much more time consuming then slabbing for them. Its also risky because its easier to get caught.

Some of have been thru this before. The card collectors will go away again just like they did last time or they will go broke either way it will settle out in a few years when the movies burn out.

By now if you listening to boardies that have been here less then 2 years or so you better know them well. Just urging some caution because no one else will.

Edited by Fastballspecial

:gossip: I just don't like the baseball card guys getting involved AGAIN with comics.

That's all

Has nothing to do with print runs, pretty covers or limited books.

Just keep the used car salesmen ( sorry Tom ) out of the hobby.

End rantrant

Never say sorry on my account. I'm a new AND used guy. I cuss a LOT. Negan and I have a few things in common...except that A-hole killed Glenn... :sorry:

:gossip: I just don't like the baseball card guys getting involved AGAIN with comics.

That's all

End rantrant

:applause:

..and here I thought we were...aw, nevermind... :grin:

We started talking about Monstress here in December just a few weeks after it came out. We talked about the great art and story, I personally am not surprised it has done well. Its not TWD or Saga but this is a definitely a great book.

Finally caved and gave this book a read - seemed like a by the numbers fantasy revenge story going by the first issue. Huge first issue, but it honestly dragged a bit for me. Striking cover though, and sometimes that's all it takes.

That's all

End rantrant

Never say sorry on my account. I'm a new AND used guy. I cuss a LOT. Negan and I have a few things in common...except that A-hole killed Glenn... :sorry:

That's what he does. Gotta love it.

Plus it's got a really cool cat in it! I love that little guy.

With the buzz about the new Black Panther series, I was thinking now might be the time to let my 2009 Sketch Variant cover go. I was a little surprised by some of the recent prices, although I think some of the results are a bit dubious, considering the same image is used.

But hey, it's a variant, which means there's a very low print run.

:baiting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Variant-Marvel-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/311579902225?hash=item488b9c0111%3Am%3Am5dy3YYr7fkasFxf5TDP5-Q&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Variant-Marvel-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/381572236990?hash=item58d77a46be%3Am%3Am5dy3YYr7fkasFxf5TDP5-Q&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Variant-Marvel-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/222072390715?hash=item33b48bc43b%3Ag%3ASBgAAOSwud1W~yil&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/331804155404?hash=item4d41119e0c%3Ag%3AkpMAAOSwoudW6K3f&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2009-Black-Panther-Dark-Reign-1-Comic-Con-J-Scott-Campbell-/331804144870?hash=item4d411174e6%3Ag%3AkpMAAOSwoudW6K3f&nma=true&si=%252BUQpMSAQLXB%252BUEeAXt6MpDH65K4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

Awesome. Like I said I was not aware of what specifically (if anything) lead to its seemingly prompt uptick in interest. I agree it is a very high quality book.

Okay, I had the wrong "investment" site, but this is the link that caused Monstress to take off (even before it started getting talked about here):

Notice the original blog says no copies were on eBay. That original blog came out before Monstress was released on November 4th! Of course there were no copies for sale on eBay. :facepalm: Misleading? Seems so to me...

I remember checking eBay when that 2nd blog was posted, and sure enough, Monstress #1 was available for cover price or less. Within days, those copies disappeared.

High quality or not, the simple fact is, nobody cared about that comic until that investment site posted about it. Then it sold out very, very quickly.

I'm not disputing if the comic warrants the speculation or not. Just saying that is an example of a comic that was hyped on an investment site first, then people became interested using the misleading information that no copies were for sale on eBay.

And the reason I remember this, I pointed out back then that this site was manipulating the market for this book.

Every new book is featured by these sites now. Just so they say they can told you so. Several of us cared about the book right after we read it. I went back and bought 3 copies at my LCS as soon I read it. Let me tell you it was tough to find nice copies.

Every new book is speculated on now. People have disposable income and they are buying 50 copies at a time for some of these books easy. They aren't going to tell you about the ones they lost on. The speculation sites are the same way.

Was their some manipulation? Probably its impossible not to have some. But honestly the people saying the like the book aren't people involved with these sites for the most part. The manipulation on raw is much more time consuming then slabbing for them. Its also risky because its easier to get caught.

Some of have been thru this before. The card collectors will go away again just like they did last time or they will go broke either way it will settle out in a few years when the movies burn out.

By now if you listening to boardies that have been here less then 2 years or so you better know them well. Just urging some caution because no one else will.

I think we need another Sixth Gun situation to thin the herd a bit.

I think we need another Sixth Gun situation to thin the herd a bit.

:eek:

I remember that. People were driving hours to go to Hastings stores trying to buy all the back issues, etc. I'm glad I never got caught up in the hype. I had one copy and sold it for $20 less than I paid, so I guess I was lucky.

You would have to have access to all the bidders names, which you don't. Possibly need their real life names. Sounds easy, right? Then cross reference them with their real or fake name in the said group.

Why would you even repeat this as there's obviously no way you could verify such a story. Real or not.

I am well aware you are a Trey/CBSI groupie. This isn't about playing favorites or picking sides, it's about helping protect the hobby. I have zero reason to communicate with you as you will defend that site no matter what is staring you in the face.

image_zpshcyyeuaj.jpg

I already told you in the other thread I did not want to communicate with you. As you can see in my post above, that has not changed. Yet you once again felt the need to send me that picture. I honestly can't tell if you are trying to be funny or if you are suggestively implying something else by sending me that picture.

I do not like you in any way.

Now please leave me alone.