• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Why are people still trying to make 1:X ratios fit for print runs?

Those ratios are distribution ratios, not printing ratios.

Yes, but it gives a ballpark idea of the max number of copies that will be available.

No, it doesn't, in any meaningful way.

If a distribution ratio is 1:100, they could print 500 of them, and 250,000 of the "regular" version. The distribution ratio has absolutely nothing to do with the print runs of either.

Unless you're suggesting that, in addition to distributing them in the ratio based on retailer order, Marvel is also making some large quantity available to the public through some alternate means, then yes, it does indeed give a ballpark of the max number of copies available. It could end up being half that number, but we're establishing a ceiling for available copies.

Marvel is under no obligation legally or morally to print them at a 1:100 ratio.

It is simply the incentive for the retailer: If you order 100 copies, you can order THIS book at the same price as a regular copy.

Why are people still trying to make 1:X ratios fit for print runs?

Those ratios are distribution ratios, not printing ratios.

Yes, but it gives a ballpark idea of the max number of copies that will be available.

No, it doesn't, in any meaningful way.

If a distribution ratio is 1:100, they could print 500 of them, and 250,000 of the "regular" version. The distribution ratio has absolutely nothing to do with the print runs of either.

Unless you're suggesting that, in addition to distributing them in the ratio based on retailer order, Marvel is also making some large quantity available to the public through some alternate means, then yes, it does indeed give a ballpark of the max number of copies available. It could end up being half that number, but we're establishing a ceiling for available copies.

Marvel is under no obligation legally or morally to print them at a 1:100 ratio.

It is simply the incentive for the retailer: If you order 100 copies, you can order THIS book at the same price as a regular copy.

At what point did Diamond start billing dealers for incentive copies ? Back in

the stone ages, if we ordered X, then the distributor would put an incentive

copy or two in with the regular preorder. Now the dealer actually has to pay

for the "incentive " ? I'm going to assume the world has changed since then.

From what I was told, yes, they pay their price for the incentive copy.

Again, from what I understand, if an incentive variant does not sell to how many they printed, these are made available a few months later through Diamond and you can just order them like a regular comic.They are not going to just let printed material go to waste when they could sell them. Sometimes they give them to people on the creative team as well.

Since I mentioned "her" and "Abnett" it's clear which one I was talking about. Though I've also been picking up the Marvel Presents #1s when I find 'em clean

OK, but you said GOTG and that has always been linked to the Marvel Premiere character.

You mean Marvel Presents? It's a stretch that Ulysses Bloodstone is linked to GOTG. You could say that he was by his gemstone, but now so is she. The only real link is people like me grabbing bronze age 1st appearances of oddball characters in hopes that James Gunn digs deep into the dork box and picks one of 'em for the next movie.

I have several copies of Marvel Presents #1 and Bloodstone #1 so I'm good either way if one or the other pans out

I have no idea who the woman character is and by the looks of that cover I assumed it was a "Grimms Fairy Tales" type of book. Didn't realize she was the daughter. Thanks.

I think it used to be 3-6 were the tough books that sold well I haven't checked lately, but your data at least confirms 5 and 6 still sell well. What issue was the TPB cut off that can also be a leader into sales.

The Far ReachingTentacles Of N’Rygoth collects 6-10 so there goes that..

I guess its the print run? (shrug)

These are the variant covers, or cover 'b' in some cases. When it was announced that Rat Queens was optioned, the variants were always more sought after. Will say I'm surprised they haven't dipped though.

Again, from what I understand, if an incentive variant does not sell to how many they printed, these are made available a few months later through Diamond and you can just order them like a regular comic.They are not going to just let printed material go to waste when they could sell them. Sometimes they give them to people on the creative team as well.

Certainly creators get comp copies. As for ordering them, I wasn't aware that was possible. What does Diamond charge if you order just the incentive?

Purchased two of the 4 Packs of Marvel Comics from 5 Below for $4 each to see what was inside and wound up with the following...

Avengers #29 Original Sin 2nd Print

Iron Man #17 (2)

Incredible Hulk #1 Blank Cover Variant (2)

Uncanny Avengers #1 Pichelli Variant

Uncanny X-Men #15

Inhumanity #1 2nd Print

Certainly creators get comp copies. As for ordering them, I wasn't aware that was possible. What does Diamond charge if you order just the incentive?

You can't order only the incentive when it's first released. You do have to order 50 or whatever, then your 51st copy is the incentive and you pay cover for that. That's why retailers like them because they can get pretty close to even if the incentive sells then the regular covers are gravy.

You can't order only the incentive when it's first released. You do have to order 50 or whatever, then your 51st copy is the incentive and you pay cover for that. That's why retailers like them because they can get pretty close to even if the incentive sells then the regular covers are gravy.

Believe me, there are next to no 1:50 incentive variants selling for the cost of 50 regulars

If you order 100 copies of Turd Man for 50% discount of $3.99, it costs you $1.995 each.

That allows you to order the 1:100, which costs you $1.995

You don't get it free.

Though occasionally I've hit a few numbers where they throw in some incentive that WASN'T ordered, but that they want to give you as a bonus, like the Zdarsky Sketch Variant for Secret Wars #1.

Also, If they have a % discount in there as well (extra 10% for ordering x amount of copies over whatever book they want you to order over of), you only get that extra 10% on the regular copies and NOT the variant.

If you order 100 copies of Turd Man for 50% discount of $3.99, it costs you $1.995 each.

That allows you to order the 1:100, which costs you $1.995

You don't get it free.

Though occasionally I've hit a few numbers where they throw in some incentive that WASN'T ordered, but that they want to give you as a bonus, like the Zdarsky Sketch Variant for Secret Wars #1.

Also, If they have a % discount in there as well (extra 10% for ordering x amount of copies over whatever book they want you to order over of), you only get that extra 10% on the regular copies and NOT the variant.

Plus shipping.

Purchased two of the 4 Packs of Marvel Comics from 5 Below for $4 each to see what was inside and wound up with the following...

Iron Man #17 (2)

Uncanny X-Men #15

Inhumanity #1 2nd Print

Hit up the 4 closest Five Belows today, even though I went over the weekend. Got 3 packs with ANMNPO #1 1st print on top. Sitting on them until the raw price hits $25 steadily.

Also picked up the Batman '66 bendie figures carded for $5 ea. They had the whole set except Riddler and Batgirl. Cool beans

I thought it was interesting that some of the Five Below packs had older comics inside....like late 70s early 80s.

Just a few years ago the local TRU had 3 packs of 70s Marvel comics. I remember Iron Man, X-Men, Star Wars, Avengers, Thor, Captain America, etc. Mostly $0.30 issues. I can only guess someone found a warehouse full of comics and decided to sell off the stock by putting together the 3 packs. The comics inside were in great condition too!

I inquired about the 3 packs and they just gave me them for free. Walked away with over 30 of these packs.

Edited by rjrjr

Iron Man #17 (2)

Uncanny X-Men #15

Inhumanity #1 2nd Print

Interesting. I also went to two stores today (one more after dinner) and they had different stock. One store had a load of the IH 1 blanks, but the other comics were different than what you got (UXM 508 variant, FF 14,and Uncanny Avengers 1 Pichelli variant).

No luck with the one that I hit while I was out picking up a spinner rack today. Just really nothing books. Almost all of them had the Original Sin 1 & 0 issues in them. Mostly Original Sin books. Gonna hit up a few of the other ones tomorrow after work.

I have another couple I can hit but I'm thinking with everyone talking about it the chances are getting slim they haven't been picked over.

Just gotta walk in right after they restocked :grin: