• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,757 posts in this topic

Nothing is going to top the Harley Quinn Puddin Pack variant for a bit. Hot Damn!

Pat, I hope that you and your family are well.

Pretty good day today. Some of these were less than cover because of a sale:

2 Lois and Clark #1s (could've gotten more)

2 Lois and Clark #8s

The Vision #1-6 All NM

The Vision #1-3

The Vision #6 (x3)

:whee:

2 Lois and Clark #8s

The Vision #1-6 All NM

The Vision #1-3

The Vision #6 (x3)

You bought or sold these?

I want to get Lois and Clark for my PC really starting to like Jon Samuel, as I like to call him.

Edited by SaucyRossy

2 Lois and Clark #8s

The Vision #1-6 All NM

The Vision #1-3

The Vision #6 (x3)

You bought or sold these?

I want to get Lois and Clark for my PC really starting to like Jon Samuel, as I like to call him.

I bought them to sell.

Looks like an 8.0 to me.

The description in that auction is pretty much as well honed of a swindle as you can get, without being downright criminal.

Key points being a two fold double whammy, bait and switch sucker punch:

The seller states he is not a professional grader, so he gets to opt out of actually assigning a grade to the book....initially, drawing in the suckers with the bait of basically saying that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Then he adds in the switch of "This book will benefit from a press" to nail it home.

Seeing as all of the spine ticks break color to one degree or another, a press will have a minor effect on the book.

Best case scenario is a press bumps it from an 8.0 to an 8.5....

My take is that the seller knew exactly what he was doing.

Looks like an 8.0 to me.

The description in that auction is pretty much as well honed of a swindle as you can get, without being downright criminal.

The seller states he is not a professional grader, so he gets to opt out of actually assigning a grade to the book....initially, drawing in the suckers with the bait of basically saying that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Then he adds in the switch of "This book will benefit from a press" to nail it home.

Seeing as all of the spine ticks break color to one degree or another, a press will have a minor effect on the book.

I don't know the seller or his practices. Seems pretty standard for eBay. I just thought the closing price was strong for a copy with that many flaws. I wonder what a graded 9.8 would fetch? hm

Looks like an 8.0 to me.

The thing about a "bait and switch" is that the bait comes first, and the seller mentions the pressing first.

I don't see this listing to be out of the ordinary. I'm not sure that I would list a grade on an auction on a very hard to find book if I wasn't absolutely sure that it was the minimum the book would come back from CGC. Decent images are provided for the potential buyer. Could have calrified the estimated print run/distribution info though.

Looks like an 8.0 to me.

As a person who spends a bit of time hunting and submitting, as well as selling raw. And after reviewing the scans, I can say without a doubt that this book will benefit from a press. It may not become a 9.4/9.6, but you can increase the eye appeal and presentation 100%. The book is typical wavy modern looking junk, straighten it out and the eye appeal will shoot up.

There is no "snakeoil salesman" tactics here, it is a typical listing for what Ebay has become. I don't know why someone dropped that kind of coin, but hey, it's not my money.

Looks like an 8.0 to me.

As a person who spends a bit of time hunting and submitting, as well as selling raw. And after reviewing the scans, I can say without a doubt that this book will benefit from a press. It may not become a 9.4/9.6, but you can increase the eye appeal and presentation 100%. The book is typical wavy modern looking junk, straighten it out and the eye appeal will shoot up.

There is no "snakeoil salesman" tactics here, it is a typical listing for what Ebay has become. I don't know why someone dropped that kind of coin, but hey, it's not my money.

And, of course, THIS is why these "estimated print run" arguments are happening:

(From that listing) "The estimated print run for this book has been said to be less than 773."

Says who? And where did that oddly specific number come from?

You guessed it! Dividing the number reported by Comichron by 75!

AMAZING!

:ohnoez:

Think it doesn't matter? People are using these "estimates" (which amount to lies, in the end) to SELL THEIR BOOKS.

If I estimate that every book I have for sale has an "estimated" print run of 93 copies only, would anyone be comfortable doing business with me? Why not? After all, it's just an "estimate"...right? And ALL "estimates" are equal and valid...right?

It's wildly_fanciful_statement is what it is. wildly_fanciful_statement invented by con artists, and repeated by the ignorant or complicit, for nothing other than $$$$.

We're being lied to our faces for profit, and many of you don't care, and worse, some of you insult and malign those who refute it, rolling your eyes and complaining that it doesn't matter. You just want to believe. Hell, one of the foremost statisticians on this board has bought into the fiction, so why not?

meh

Looks like an 8.0 to me.

And, of course, THIS is why these "estimated print run" arguments are happening:

(From that listing) "The estimated print run for this book has been said to be less than 773."

Says who? And where did that oddly specific number come from?

You guessed it! Dividing the number reported by Comichron by 75!

AMAZING!

:ohnoez:

Think it doesn't matter? People are using these "estimates" (which amount to lies, in the end) to SELL THEIR BOOKS.

If I estimate that every book I have for sale has an "estimated" print run of 93 copies only, would anyone be comfortable doing business with me? Why not? After all, it's just an "estimate"...right? And ALL "estimates" are equal and valid...right?

It's wildly_fanciful_statement is what it. wildly_fanciful_statement invented by con artists, and repeated by the ignorant or complicit, for nothing other than $$$$.

We're being lied to our faces for profit, and many of you don't care, and worse, some of you insult and malign those who refute it, rolling your eyes and complaining that it doesn't matter. You just want to believe. Hell, one of the foremost statisticians on this board has bought into the fiction, so why not?

meh

where's the spoiler tags?