• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Comics are main street America right now.

Civilians are interested, Lapsed fans are returning, & Wednesday Warriors have a ton of choices.

I really like this quote from Larry. It's counter to the doom and gloom that people have been shouting for decades now.

Except that it was doom and gloom, very badly, from 1995-ish to about 2008.

Does that not count?

Civilians are interested, Lapsed fans are returning, & Wednesday Warriors have a ton of choices.

I really like this quote from Larry. It's counter to the doom and gloom that people have been shouting for decades now.

Does that not count?

Just like the pre-release summer of '89 before the Batman Movie made

it's triumphant appearance. So about 2020 towards 2022 looks to me to

be a down period. Followed by an uptick about 2025.

Does that not count?

It does but here we are on the other side, just fine. And comics are still being printed

Does that not count?

It does but here we are on the other side, just fine. And comics are still being printed

Absolutely. No one's disputing that.

But, was it appropriate to "shout" about the actual doom and gloom that actually happened, then...? Your statement heavily implies, after all, that there wasn't any, going back decades. But that's not true. Is it fair to dismiss those as "shouting" about it when it was actually happening?

Sure, comics survived...barely. Many in the comics industry, from publishers all the way down to retailers, did not. Some people lost everything they had. 1999-2001 were the worst years the comics industry ever had, even worse than 1977-1978, which were themselves pretty bad.

Comics are "better", but we are still, in unit sales, only 33% higher than we were in 2001, the worst year, and 2010 was worse than every other year except 2001.

What can be said is this: we should all enjoy this ride while it lasts, because, as all things in the market, it will not last forever. Sure, this focus on comics is unprecedented in its history...but comic collecting is only around 50 years old, and comics themselves only around 80...and ups and downs occurring in markets happen as surely as the sun rises each morning. There are already serious cracks showing, for those with eyes to see.

I think you read in to the comment and the one I quote which was talking about the state of comics right now. Don't focus on the word shouting, I could have easily used mentioning, talking about or any number of other synonyms. Anyway, yes there have obviously been many ups and downs in the industry but the industry always seems to survive. There are always people "Talking about" the industry not surviving yet it seems to always come out the other side. It might look different, it might be scathed but it does survive. That was my point and I stand by what I said.

I think you read in to the comment and the one I quote which was talking about the state of comics right now. Don't focus on the word shouting, I could have easily used mentioning, talking about or any number of other synonyms. Anyway, yes there have obviously been many ups and downs in the industry but the industry always seems to survive. There are always people "Talking about" the industry not surviving yet it seems to always come out the other side. It might look different, it might be scathed but it does survive. That was my point and I stand by what I said.

talking about the state of comics right now

Exactly.

It's just RockMyAmadeus being RockMyAmadeus.

Edited by LarrysComics

I was in Rome recently and every newsstand seems to have a nice comics section and there are a lot of newsstands. Have no idea if anyone is actually buying anything sure, but do these circulation figures include foreign numbers?

I was in Rome recently and every newsstand seems to have a nice comics section and there are a lot of newsstands. Have no idea if anyone is actually buying anything sure, but do these circulation figures include foreign numbers?

Monthly sales data for comics comes from comic book distributors who serve comics shops in North America.

I know you NYC guys think the rest of America is different from home, but Rome, NY is not a foreign country!

:baiting:

I know you NYC guys think the rest of America is different from home, but Rome, NY is not a foreign country!

:baiting:

Come on Sal get through that lock!

We'll make Rome by 6'oclock!

15 miles on the Erie Canal

Yes...you could have used a different word. But you didn't. You chose that word specifically, to convey a very specific intent...which intent isn't quite accurate, is it...? How can I not focus on the word, when that's the word you used...?

The point I'm making is that those who say "oh, those doom and gloomers, they've been predicting catastrophe forEVER now, and it hasn't happened! They don't know what they're talking about, those naysayers! We're better than we've ever been! Look how rosy things are!" Isn't that exactly what you meant, in so many words...? If so, I didn't "read" into it, did I...?

Except that it DID happen, and on more than one occasion (actually, on three separate occasions, the entire comics industry nearly collapsed...first in the early 1950's, then in the mid- to late 70's, then again in the mid-90's.)

You say here: "There are always people "Talking about" the industry not surviving..."

But that's not what you said. What you said is this: "It's counter to the doom and gloom that people have been shouting for decades now."

Those are two different (albeit related) thoughts. "Surviving" is different from "doom and gloom." No one's saying the industry hasn't survived. It has, clearly. But not every aspect of the industry survived, and it was, indeed, very bad for very many people.

If you think I'm playing semantics or word games, you would be mistaken. Why does that ancient history matter? Because the same types of attitudes and mentalities are happening once again. Same thing, rinse and repeat, every 20 years. And real people really get hurt, either because they themselves are ignorant and foolish, or because they operated in a sea of fools, and could only go down with the ship.

Larry's a smart guy. No doubt. He survived when thousands of others did not. But...thousands did not. What's different now, that we didn't have in the 50's, the 70's, and the 90's (mostly)? The internet. The internet is all grown up, and people can say "whoa...hold on a sec. This is the kind of thinking that got us into trouble before, we need to slow down a bit."

Will anyone listen? Maybe. The vast majority, probably not.

After all, I'm constantly "shouted down" by the people whose sole motive is profit around here for daring to say these things publicly, and those people (ab)use the mechanism of the moderation system to achieve their goal of silencing criticism and opposition.

Look at the endless "what is this worth?" threads that pop up on the board. Those threads were rare 10 years ago...now they're an every day occurrence. Not "who would win in a fight", not "which artist was better", not "what's your favorite storyline"...just "how much is this worth?"

That does not bode well.

So, will anyone consider? Mostly no. But some will, and some will be saved from greater hurt because they were prudent and cautious.

Exactly.

What, cautioning people against the excess and foolishness of out of control markets...?

I'll take that as a compliment, thank you!

Exactly.

What, cautioning people against the excess and foolishness of out of control markets...?

You're welcome.

Take care of yourself. Eat good quality food & exercise.

I want you to be around if the comic book market ever does eventually collapse.

Exactly.

You're welcome.

Take care of yourself. Eat good quality food & exercise.

Sound advice for all!

I want you to be around if the comic book market ever does eventually collapse.

I won't be. Around the comic book market, that is. Too many signs.

Yes...you could have used a different word. But you didn't. You chose that word specifically, to convey a very specific intent...which intent isn't quite accurate, is it...? How can I not focus on the word, when that's the word you used...?

The point I'm making is that those who say "oh, those doom and gloomers, they've been predicting catastrophe forEVER now, and it hasn't happened! They don't know what they're talking about, those naysayers! We're better than we've ever been! Look how rosy things are!" Isn't that exactly what you meant, in so many words...? If so, I didn't "read" into it, did I...?

Except that it DID happen, and on more than one occasion (actually, on three separate occasions, the entire comics industry nearly collapsed...first in the early 1950's, then in the mid- to late 70's, then again in the mid-90's.)

You say here: "There are always people "Talking about" the industry not surviving..."

But that's not what you said. What you said is this: "It's counter to the doom and gloom that people have been shouting for decades now."

Those are two different (albeit related) thoughts. "Surviving" is different from "doom and gloom." No one's saying the industry hasn't survived. It has, clearly. But not every aspect of the industry survived, and it was, indeed, very bad for very many people.

If you think I'm playing semantics or word games, you would be mistaken. Why does that ancient history matter? Because the same types of attitudes and mentalities are happening once again. Same thing, rinse and repeat, every 20 years. And real people really get hurt, either because they themselves are ignorant and foolish, or because they operated in a sea of fools, and could only go down with the ship.

Larry's a smart guy. No doubt. He survived when thousands of others did not. But...thousands did not. What's different now, that we didn't have in the 50's, the 70's, and the 90's (mostly)? The internet. The internet is all grown up, and people can say "whoa...hold on a sec. This is the kind of thinking that got us into trouble before, we need to slow down a bit."

Will anyone listen? Maybe. The vast majority, probably not.

After all, I'm constantly "shouted down" by the people whose sole motive is profit around here for daring to say these things publicly, and those people (ab)use the mechanism of the moderation system to achieve their goal of silencing criticism and opposition.

Look at the endless "what is this worth?" threads that pop up on the board. Those threads were rare 10 years ago...now they're an every day occurrence. Not "who would win in a fight", not "which artist was better", not "what's your favorite storyline"...just "how much is this worth?"

That does not bode well.

So, will anyone consider? Mostly no. But some will, and some will be saved from greater hurt because they were prudent and cautious.

lol ok but no. "you chose that word specifically, to convey a very specific intent" Completely wrong. Thanks for reading though, lets not derail the thread