• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

I'm skeptical. Seems to be a lot of "errors" popping up lately. The new ultra rare variant controlled entirely by publisher/distributors .. on purpose? I wouldn't pay a cent for that. Green Lanterns sucks.

K

Card Companies in the 1990's seemed to create errors on purpose to build up false hype

Comic companies don't get any aftermarket money. :gossip:

I'm skeptical. Seems to be a lot of "errors" popping up lately. The new ultra rare variant controlled entirely by publisher/distributors .. on purpose? I wouldn't pay a cent for that. Green Lanterns sucks.

K

Im serious... let me guess. is it a first appearance or key issue?

Rich @ BleedingCool has been pumping this book. Typical Pump N' Dump.

Green Lanterns I didn't even really read past the third page and I put it away. I guess I just don't care about those two new lanterns. Hal Jordan One-Shot I liked, and so will probably catch up on the rest of the issues I think.

They should have kicked simon an jess off with a story that compliments their backrounds and puts them in a position to prove themselves. The reds are just complicating that and getting in the way. Plus the endless pages of Simon being a bro an Jess being a girl "I can't dooooo this" over and over again. It just turns me off and probably a lot of new readers. The only whorthwile pages in the entire story so far are the 1 or 2 related to the main Rebirth storyline.

Ben McDonald Card 54?

Bill Ripken bat card?

I forget, what the white our or the sharpie scribble the one to have?

I only ever got the black tape one. :sorry:

The original "F--- Face" is the one to have because it's the best baseball card ever :headbang:

Ben McDonald Card 54?

Bill Ripken bat card?

The original "F--- Face" is the one to have because it's the best baseball card ever :headbang:

Yeah, I was never into errors/corrected. There was also the cut one. I think the white one was the 2nd most rare one. I wanted the one with the writing, but was never going to pay for it.

K

Card Companies in the 1990's seemed to create errors on purpose to build up false hype

I wonder sometimes...

K

I wonder sometimes...

Wouldn't surprise me a bit in this current market. Just the last few pages of discussion show how the market has changed.

Ben McDonald Card 54?

Bill Ripken bat card?

'88 fleer? '87? I can't remember but I know I had the FF card at one time

Ben McDonald Card 54?

Bill Ripken bat card?

89 Fleer! :)

I wanted one badly and ended up trading a Wage Boggs rookie for it.

Still have the silly thing all these years later just because it is the most ridiculous card I ever came across. Think I still have some other silly ones with it like the Paul Gibson crotch grab in the background error (also an 89 card, but Score.)

...Baseball cards were fun at one point.

K

...but they do get people, the "speculators" buying. It's simple marketing.

Many opt to do "short yet unstated print runs" only to in later releases, once the collectors drive up the prices of previous releases, then crank the presses full steam ahead and flood the market, so capture the greedy money from folks who horde.

Comics saw that with Jim Lee's X-Men #1 and the whole 1990's speculation, sports cards saw that in 1987 through the 80's, 90's and Y2K, and later turned to the "elite" marketing of scarcity where single packs of cards can sell at retail for $500+ and there's a "chase" insert of potential cardboard gold, so to speak. It came to a point where with the "chase" cards, collectors bust open cases, boxes and packs, sort through the cards, pick out the one hot card they're looking for and dump he rest in the trash.

Comics did that with the whole bagged sketch cover thing DC did this year or last year, and with these variants with 1:10; 1:50; 1:100; 1:1,000 etc odds that a retailer has to order tons to get the one rare book. So, a lot of time the common books go straight into the dollar bins.

So, the comic companies are indeed raping the industry with short term greedy decisions instead of building a stable fan base and earning loyalty. There's less single collectors of books and more speculators who never read the books, buy multiples to resell and encase 'em in plastic. Comics are a commodity not to be manhandled and enjoyed by children of all ages, and it's mainly grown middle aged men who are the day traders.

Ben McDonald Card 54?

Bill Ripken bat card?

Still have the silly thing all these years later just because it is the most ridiculous card I ever came across. Think I still have some other silly ones with it like the Paul Gibson crotch grab in the background error (also an 89 card, but Score.)

The great thing, and you'll find this with comics too.

With patience on "hot" items artificially inflated, they'll eventually settle down in price and you'll be able to acquire them at pennies on the dollar off of their peak.

There will be the occassional one that maintains value or skyrockets up, but as a whole if you look at the playing field, there's going to be way more losers than winners in the long term, so even if there's 100 books you're eyeing, and 5 goes up x10, there will be x90 that goes down tremendously, and you're best off waiting, sitting on the sidelines for most releases.

These are manufactured collectibles today that don't go up in time like how some of the older 1980's and previous, comics aged over 30 years go from the common back issue bin to glory like the 1st appearance issues of Lobo, Deadshot, Suicide Squad, Deathstroke, Elektra, Cloak & Dagger, Black Cat, Moon Knight, Thanos, Darkseid, etc. - - now, everything like with sports cards is marketed towards the "potential" and hype. No books are earning their value. The market will reset itself eventually as the sellers who horde and hold lose patience and sit on too much inventory tying up their money and they need to liquidate. It always happens with every collectible when the amateurs get in (and today's amateurs are the ones buying 100x copies of every new issue of "The Walking Dead" storing them away as their kid's college fund)

Ben McDonald Card 54?

Bill Ripken bat card?

The great thing, and you'll find this with comics too.

With patience on "hot" items artificially inflated, they'll eventually settle down in price and you'll be able to acquire them at pennies on the dollar off of their peak.

There will be the occassional one that maintains value or skyrockets up, but as a whole if you look at the playing field, there's going to be way more losers than winners in the long term, so even if there's 100 books you're eyeing, and 5 goes up x10, there will be x90 that goes down tremendously, and you're best off waiting, sitting on the sidelines for most releases.

These are manufactured collectibles today that don't go up in time like how some of the older 1980's and previous, comics aged over 30 years go from the common back issue bin to glory like the 1st appearance issues of Lobo, Deadshot, Suicide Squad, Deathstroke, Elektra, Cloak & Dagger, Black Cat, Moon Knight, Thanos, Darkseid, etc. - - now, everything like with sports cards is marketed towards the "potential" and hype. No books are earning their value. The market will reset itself eventually as the sellers who horde and hold lose patience and sit on too much inventory tying up their money and they need to liquidate. It always happens with every collectible when the amateurs get in (and today's amateurs are the ones buying 100x copies of every new issue of "The Walking Dead" storing them away as their kid's college fund)

I made a killing on Bryce Harper Bowman chase cards a few years ago, I was buying those $20 blaster boxes at K-Mart and Wal-Mart and was getting a "hit" in every box with several limited numbered refractors. Of course whoever I sold them to is taking a loss because if you think holding onto a random incentive variant for more than a month is bad, cards are way way worse.

I still buy a pack here and there every year, I like the Topps Heritage with the retro designs

K

Many opt to do "short yet unstated print runs" only to in later releases, once the collectors drive up the prices of previous releases, then crank the presses full steam ahead and flood the market, so capture the greedy money from folks who horde.

Comics saw that with Jim Lee's X-Men #1 and the whole 1990's speculation, sports cards saw that in 1987 through the 80's, 90's and Y2K, and later turned to the "elite" marketing of scarcity where single packs of cards can sell at retail for $500+ and there's a "chase" insert of potential cardboard gold, so to speak. It came to a point where with the "chase" cards, collectors bust open cases, boxes and packs, sort through the cards, pick out the one hot card they're looking for and dump he rest in the trash.

Comics did that with the whole bagged sketch cover thing DC did this year or last year, and with these variants with 1:10; 1:50; 1:100; 1:1,000 etc odds that a retailer has to order tons to get the one rare book. So, a lot of time the common books go straight into the dollar bins.

So, the comic companies are indeed raping the industry with short term greedy decisions instead of building a stable fan base and earning loyalty. There's less single collectors of books and more speculators who never read the books, buy multiples to resell and encase 'em in plastic. Comics are a commodity not to be manhandled and enjoyed by children of all ages, and it's mainly grown middle aged men who are the day traders.

You're realllllly stretching.

Like I said, they DO NOT get aftermarket money. They may get shops ordering more than they normally would for a variant but those (Shop owners, can you chime in here) situations are either purely personal in what they think will sell (speculative) or because a pull customer made an order for the variant.

Comic publishers are in the market to sell comics and make money. Them putting out a weird variant does nothing to make the average person HAVE to buy a book. Most people don't (this place is not even remotely representative of comic buyers as a whole). If it makes people buy more, well...that was their decision.

But, back to the specific example that started this (The Green Lanterns error), how would they be putting out fake errors and how would that benefit them AT ALL on a scale that would make even a dent in their bottom line? It's a silly conspiracy and that's why my response was dismissive. When the Justice League 51 error happened, I found 10 of them and bought em all. Did I make DC/Diamond/Books a Million some money? Sure. A tiny fraction of the money I personally made from flipping those, though. So again...NO...comic companies do not get to enjoy the benefits of the secondary market in any meaningful way.

K

You're realllllly stretching.

Like I said, they DO NOT get aftermarket money. They may get shops ordering more than they normally would for a variant but those (Shop owners, can you chime in here) situations are either purely personal in what they think will sell (speculative) or because a pull customer made an order for the variant.

Comic publishers are in the market to sell comics and make money. Them putting out a weird variant does nothing to make the average person HAVE to buy a book. Most people don't (this place is not even remotely representative of comic buyers as a whole). If it makes people buy more, well...that was their decision.

But, back to the specific example that started this (The Green Lanterns error), how would they be putting out fake errors and how would that benefit them AT ALL on a scale that would make even a dent in their bottom line? It's a silly conspiracy and that's why my response was dismissive. When the Justice League 51 error happened, I found 10 of them and bought em all. Did I make DC/Diamond/Books a Million some money? Sure. A tiny fraction of the money I personally made from flipping those, though. So again...NO...comic companies do not get to enjoy the benefits of the secondary market in any meaningful way.

It might not even be DC, it might be the guys running the printers. Either way it's happening a bunch and someone eventually ends up with the copies they can sell. Maybe it's a pittance bonus for the employees... "here guys go sell some and head to town next weekend with the wife" .... who knows. Either way the value of that book will only be decided by speculators because there are no hardcore Green Lanterns fans as I said, the writing is garbage.