• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Prediction: Black Panther is going to be the first superhero movie to get a best picture nom.

Given that up to 10 movies can be nominated now, you are probably right. Like many though, I thought it was very mediocre. Not terrible, but not great. Sad that critics and those in the industry bend so heavily to politics.

FF 52 DID see a hefty bump from the success of the movie though even though it was mediocre. I don't think a Venom movie bomb would make ASM 300 drop in price much if any. I think it would just stay the same or possible dip very very slightly. He is such a huge character who I think is immune to a bad movie.

On 8/1/2018 at 12:10 PM, kairos70 said:

#4 is selling for as much as #5 because of Scream's first appearance so no harm no foul. It would just be weird if the value of #4 varied greatly from #5.

Finally I chose correctly. I've been buying issues of #4 for a decade.  Now if I can only find them......

10 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Given that up to 10 movies can be nominated now, you are probably right. Like many though, I thought it was very mediocre. Not terrible, but not great. Sad that critics and those in the industry bend so heavily to politics.

FF 52 DID see a hefty bump from the success of the movie though even though it was mediocre. I don't think a Venom movie bomb would make ASM 300 drop in price much if any. I think it would just stay the same or possible dip very very slightly. He is such a huge character who I think is immune to a bad movie.

I don't think the academy will nominate BP. It was good, but not that good.

6 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

You may be right, but let's not forget that these are the same people who nominated Avatar for Best Picture.

7 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

Most of the movies nominated for Best Picture are pretty mediocre. Black Panther was 'good enough" by the Academy's metric, and had the enormous box office success and cultural relevance, to get a nod. I'm not saying it does or doesn't deserve it, just saying that the financial and cultural impact were so significant that it would be difficult to ignore. Likely has zero chance to win, but with the expanded 10 slots, I'd say a nomination is very likely. If it doesn't get a nod, no superhero movie ever will, most likely. (And that's fine. Most superhero movies aren't very good.)

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Most of the movies nominated for Best Picture are pretty mediocre. Black Panther was 'good enough" by the Academy's metric, and had the enormous box office success and cultural relevance, to get a nod. I'm not saying it does or doesn't deserve it, just saying that the financial and cultural impact were so significant that it would be difficult to ignore. Likely has zero chance to win, but with the expanded 10 slots, I'd say a nomination is very likely. If it doesn't get a nod, no superhero movie ever will, most likely. (And that's fine. Most superhero movies aren't very good.)

Box office success is rarely a huge factor in getting a best picture nomination. It's doubtful that Avatar was nominated because of financial success, but likely because of the innovations required by the filmmaker to make the movie. You may find that most Best Picture nominations are mediocre, but I think that's more a sign that your particular tastes are not aligned with the Academy rather than an indication of the films' quality. (Not that there's anything wrong with that; plenty of people prefer entertainment first, and a work of art somewhere down the list of importance, when it comes to movies)

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:
9 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

Its an outrage that Dark Knight wasn't nominated.  That one really leaves a mark after you see it for the first time.

I don't think Black Panther is good enough for a nomination, though I enjoyed it and happily appreciate the cultural impact - meaning hopefully it shows how mainstream movies (and superhero movies) with diverse (and/or minority) casts can be extremely successful to a broad audience.  It gives us all access to more great stories to tell, and people to tell them.  That's better than an Oscar for me.

But judging by how best movie nominations USUALLY come around, you have to pickup a other nominations along the way to get a best picture nomination.  So which ones MIGHT it get?

I think the only acting chance would be Michael B Jordan for Supporting Actor (which I would support, I thought he was great)

I think a adapted screenplay is somewhat more likely than director, and I think both are pretty unlikely.

Maybe cinematography?

More likely are:

Soundtrack? Sound Editing? Wardrobe?  Some of those weird science awards?

And to a lesser extent:

Makeup?

Dark Knight had most of these and it didn't result in a best picture nom, and it was a 'better' movie from an "Academy Point of View"

Edited by revat

3 minutes ago, revat said:

Its an outrage that Dark Knight wasn't nominated.  That one really leaves a mark after you see it for the first time.

I don't think Black Panther is good enough for a nomination, though I enjoyed it and happily appreciate the cultural impact - meaning hopefully it shows how mainstream movies (and superhero movies) with diverse (and/or minority) casts can be extremely successful to a broad audience.  It gives us all access to more great stories to tell, and people to tell them.  That's better than an Oscar for me.

But judging by how best movie nominations USUALLY come around, you have to pickup a other nominations along the way to get a best picture nomination.  So which ones MIGHT it get?

I think the only acting chance would be Michael B Jordan for Supporting Actor (which I would support, I thought he was great)

I think a adapted screenplay is somewhat more likely than director, and I think both are pretty unlikely.

Maybe cinematography?

More likely are:

And to a lesser extent:

Makeup?

Dark Knight had most of these and it didn't result in a best picture nom, and it was a 'better' movie from an "Academy Point of View"

Supporting Actor was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned other awards. I'd say that, and probably some of the visual awards.

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Supporting Actor was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned other awards. I'd say that, and probably some of the visual awards.

Agree, but I think to get a best picture nom, you generally need to have at LEAST ONE but probably two nominations in the following categories

Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress,  Best Original Screenplay, Best Adapted Screenplay

And probably at least ONE of these (unless you got two of the above)

Best Cinematography, Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actor

And at least one other random one from the rest.

I'm pretty skeptical they can get there, I think the screenplay and directing overall were good but were sort of tied down by 'forcing' the comic-style ending, which is understandable, but ultimately might hurt with the academy.  All the fantastic set up didn't provide a worthy payoff for me. 

But if you still got your Jungle Action 5 and 6 at this point, you might as well hold on to until Oscar noms are announced.  Same with your modern Black Panther 2.  You might as well wait for the next Avengers trailer showing Shuri putting on the black panther armor.

26 minutes ago, revat said:

Maybe cinematography?

More likely are:

And to a lesser extent:

Makeup?

Dark Knight was really good. It could have been nominated. But I think you are right. Black Panther could win something like soundtrack.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

As of recently, there haven't been that many truly amazing Academy Award movies. I thought last years movies were the best in quite a while. 

3 hours ago, kevhtx said:

You may be right, but let's not forget that these are the same people who nominated Avatar for Best Picture.

Ugh Avatar what a terrible movie. BP was better, but still not Best Movie caliber in my opinion. Actually I don't think any superhero movie is worthy.

Edited by FutureFlash

4 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

As of recently, there haven't been that many truly amazing Academy Award movies. I thought last years movies were the best in quite a while. 

on a super-unrelated note, we bought movie pass right before the Oscars to see all the best picture noms (we'd probably seen like two of them before that), and we ended up seeing 9/10 or 8/9 of them however many there were, all but one of the noms.  The only one we didn't see was Shape of Water, the one that won.  Our pick was Three Billboards, which I'm pretty sure should have won (a surprisingly high amount of people we know saw Shape of Water, and NOBODY LIKED IT, though many were impressed).  But as a crop, last year's was pretty good.  I thought Call Me by Your Name was probably the weakest, but so beautifully shot in such beautiful locations that you could it watch it for hours even if nothing is happening (which is literally the point of the movie).

But seriously, go watch 3 billboards.  like now. 

Also, wasn't Justin Hammer (played by Sam Rockwell, who was in 3 billboards) supposed to be british in Iron man 2?  I never heard Rockewell do british before, I was hoping to hear the accent.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Box office success is rarely a huge factor in getting a best picture nomination. It's doubtful that Avatar was nominated because of financial success, but likely because of the innovations required by the filmmaker to make the movie. You may find that most Best Picture nominations are mediocre, but I think that's more a sign that your particular tastes are not aligned with the Academy rather than an indication of the films' quality. (Not that there's anything wrong with that; plenty of people prefer entertainment first, and a work of art somewhere down the list of importance, when it comes to movies)

It's true that it's usually not a factor in getting a nomination, but it certainly can be a factor in pushing a movie into consideration when it may have gone completely unnoticed otherwise. Had Avatar not been the enormous success that it was, it likely would have received all of the same technical awards and noms, but not muscled its way into the Best Picture race. Not that I really have a dog in that particular race, as I thought Avatar was pretty terrible.

As for my tastes, I tend to find the Academy's picks to be fairly pedestrian, by which I mean I'm firmly in the film snob camp, rather than the popcorn crowd.

edit to add PS: I'm making myself sound like a bigger snob than I am. I am perfectly fine with "entertainment for entertainment's sake" films too. I love all kinds of movies. But I tend to think the Academy tends to be fairly predictable with its tastes.

Edited by F For Fake

And for the record, I'm not a big Dark Knight fan, so the only reason I was surprised that it didn't get a nom that year was because it had been so massively successful. For what it's worth, I guess I like it better than the winner that year (Slumdog Millionaire) and I didn't really care for the other noms either (Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Milk, The Reader, Frost/Nixon). So, in that instance, i guess I would have personally given TDK a nod if for no reason other than capturing that zeitgeist. I may not personally care for it, but it has certainly been a more enduring picture than the rest in that lot. 

My recollection is that there was such a stink over TDK not getting a BP nom that many think the expansion of the BP category was directly due to its having been left out. 

Anyway, back to this year, I still think you'll see BP worm its way into contention. If it were still a 5 film race, no, I don't think it'd stand a chance. But things being what they are, I think it has a shot. "Awards season" hasn't begun yet, but there haven't been many standout films this year, at least for me.  Hoping the fall shapes up to be more interesting. So far the only sort of nomination lock I foresee is a Best Actress nod for Toni Collette in "Hereditary", which is a picture I enjoyed, but didn't quite love.

Edited by F For Fake