• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, CKinTO said:
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Why?  Tec 850 was MUCH hotter in March of last year. The last one on ebay sold raw for $20. It was well over $50 last year.

Yah, Tec850 got hot when the Gotham City Sirens movie was rumored, although since it looks like it's on hiatus for awhile, as definitely cooled. As has GCS1.

This is separate from the whole question on what is 1st app GCS - there was a big thread on here last year arguing why Tec850 was not really a 1st app and was just speculators trying to push it as such. CGC label doesn't denote either. I assume if a movie were actually confirmed, CGC might eventually take a view.

I think you have already answered your question. The push was from a speculator site like many these days. The book does have some premise into the origin of the characters.
But, it doesn't feature them on the cover, give them a mission, or anyway denote them. I sold one for NM copy for $50 last month that I grabbed for $5. That's the only
way I would grab a copy. Id give it cameo status in a round about way.

GCS 1 sells for more on average offers 2nd prints and an awesome variant of issue 1. It features them on the cover as well. A denotation on a slab could change the current
viewpoint among buyers, but currently its GCS 1 that should be the book to own. Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I don't take interest in anything that has been already attempted twice. There is a reason why it hasn't been adapted. I don't think it will do well.

First L&K attempt was with Fox casting Miranda Otto as the mom. Fox went with Terra Nova as their big premiere after the Super Bowl. Bad choice, but I also watched that pilot and they jammed the entire first six issues into one hour of programming. It deserved better. It also didn't have Joe Hill writing the -script.

Second time was for Hulu, and Joe Hill did write the -script, but upon finishing the pilot featuring Danny Glover, there was a leadership shake-up at Hulu and the new crew didn't include those that green-lit this project. So it died.

Third time is for Netflix, and they are scrapping the Hulu pilot, but keeping Joe Hill on to co-write a new pilot. I have faith it will be done well, and with the long form of the comic in mind. Very excited! 

And in other IDW news, Wild Blue Yonder's six issues were adapted to an app that was released today, converting it to a motion comic book. Full soundtrack, voice talent including Gerard Butler, Zoey Deutch, and Ed Harris, plus you can move the art around for a 3D effect on the app as it plays. Pretty cool stuff! $4.99 gets you the app with all six issues, and I think its a panel-by-panel faithful following of the comic, so even from that point, its a deal compared to the HC trade.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I don't care either, but I am happy to sell them and if it panics speculators who went deep into what the 5th symbiote that icing on the cake. 

5th? Aren't there about 150 by now?

Edited by ygogolak
Missed a 1

I don't take interest in anything that has been already attempted twice. There is a reason why it hasn't been adapted. I don't think it will do well.

:gossip: it was optioned for a third time at the end of May. Actually getting made now...finally.

Have you ever read it?

Edited by ygogolak

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I don't get the price on the Thor God of Thunder books. Noobs :preach:

I don't care either, but I am happy to sell them and if it panics speculators who went deep into what the 5th symbiote that icing on the cake. 

I don't care either . . . except I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :grin:

16 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

:gossip: it was optioned for a third time at the end of May. Actually getting made now...finally.

Have you ever read it?

I won one in a contest a few years ago (CGC 9.8) . . . and immediately flipped it - no place in my collection. :grin:

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Have you ever read it?

Definetely a dark, twisted story and I can see it doing well with a Stranger Things format of solid kid actors and maybe throwing in some has bins into the mix.  My spidey senses predict hit after netflix came on board so I loaded up on 9.8s and sets over the last few months.  I'll probably sell them with the recent upswing but maybe I'll keep a couple in reserve to see the first official trailer.

1st appearance of Gotham City Sirens - if it isn't Detective Comics #850, what is?  And do we know why CGC hasn't ruled definitively for their label?  I'm not a huge Tec collector but have 850 and would like to get it slabbed it if it is indeed their first appearance...

13 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

1st appearance of Gotham City Sirens - if it isn't Detective Comics #850, what is?  And do we know why CGC hasn't ruled definitively for their label?  I'm not a huge Tec collector but have 850 and would like to get it slabbed it if it is indeed their first appearance...

What's the 1st appearance of Teen Titans?  That's a 50+ year old question, so surely we have an answer by now. :kidaround:

The idea of "first appearance" for a group is still weird to me.  Whose first appearance is it?  No one.  The first appearance of a new label to describe characters who have a very long history before that doesn't seem like it should rank very highly on the "importance" scale.

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What's the 1st appearance of Teen Titans?  That's a 50+ year old question, so surely we have an answer by now. :kidaround:

The idea of "first appearance" for a group is still weird to me.  Whose first appearance is it?  No one.  The first appearance of a new label to describe characters who have a very long history before that doesn't seem like it should rank very highly on the "importance" scale.

The Avengers, as an example, made it big, and I've often thought that the comic companies have tried to replicate that....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The Avengers, as an example, made it big, and I've often thought that the comic companies have tried to replicate that....

Exactly... or even earlier with All-Star #3... I'm not saying it's not an important point in the chronology of comic stories, but I am saying that the addition of just a new "brand name" on previously-existing characters isn't as big a deal as the market has (traditionally) reflected.  Maybe "the first time major characters worked together" (the first Superman and Batman team-up) is a big deal, but that happened decades earlier.  "The first time villains worked together" would also be a big deal... and already done decades earlier.  After that, it's "the first time that some characters who have been around for years/decades have worked together and given themselves a name as a group that they didn't have when they worked together in the past" - Avengers, Teen Titans, Gotham City Sirens, whatever.  Seems like a yawn. (:

On 6/25/2018 at 12:35 AM, 500Club said:

Where is krighton?  Come back...

I live....i went to the dark side of Daily Fantasy and making 10x what i was selling comics.....dragging them out from under the bed though to take inventory.  I probably sold my ASM 4 for alot less than i should have :( Thanks for asking.  

Edited by krighton

39 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

A boardie has messaged CGC and asked about this when the whole idea of Tec #850 and Harley Quinn #3 were being thrown around. CGC stated at the time they would not be labeling anything because GCS was the name of the comic and title, not the name of the team. This is not true however.

14 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Thor God of Thunder #6 (2013). After yesterday's Venom, this issue shot up towards $50 on eBay. 1st Knull (before we knew it who it was). Venom #4 was outstanding. 

Ive been out of it, so Thor God of Thunder is hot now?  NVM, i see it's a Venom thing.

Edited by krighton

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

All Hail the first appearance of the Obliterators!!! lol