• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Complete speculation based on nothing but my gut instinct - the next Chew is a Dark Horse book coming out in the next few months.

What's the last hit that Dark Horse had?

What's the last non-movie-property hit that Dark Horse had?

Hellboy?

buffy13rd.jpg

:whistle:

well, sure... SMG's hot and all...

Why is the current series doing well but the one from '98 (?) never took off? Was Whedon not involved at all in the old one?

well this is all about what moderns are heating up on ebay...if we just stick to stuff we like might kind of kill the momentum of the thread.

i love collecting (not selling) inhumans, not too many people killing themselves to collect those at the moment (i still hold out hope for a marvel movie someday).

I just buy comics I like :] If that series I love happens to become popular and rises in value, that's just a bonus. I would still love my INVINCIBLE #1 all the same if it was worth $3.00 or $300.

:luhv:

What he said. (thumbs u

well this is all about what moderns are heating up on ebay...if we just stick to stuff we like might kind of kill the momentum of the thread.

i love collecting (not selling) inhumans, not too many people killing themselves to collect those at the moment (i still hold out hope for a marvel movie someday).

Alright, lets bring it back to comics :P

Here is a 9.8 cgc Adventure Time cover E, curious to see what it goes for with 2hrs left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adventure-Time-Cover-E-CGC-9-8-/160746654785?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item256d3f4c41#ht_500wt_1413

I'm interested in why people continue to believe cover A (beauty) will outsell and remain more popular with half the number of issues. I can't think of one issue that supports this line of thinking. It would be different if cover B (beast) was a 2nd print.

I don't get this at all either. I understand that, all things being equal, most seem to prefer the Beauty cover (though I think they are both pretty awesome). Regardless, though, things are NOT equal. Only thing I can fathom is that it's just not common knowledge yet (and I haven't seen any seller make mention of the disparity in print run yet). If the book remains hot, I fully expect the Beast cover to be selling for more than Beauty before long. Beast cover seems like a steal right now at $10 when Beauty routinely sells for $20+.

+1 although I'm disgusted by the vast majority of raw books I pick up on eBay ... I've never seen , let alone been the victim, of so much fraud in my life. Everything I buy on eBay arrives in bad shape. It's ridiculous trying to buy a hot book in good condition. Sometimes I think people just unload there banged up books on eBay knowing that it isn't worth the time to fight back.

Sellers that dont know how to pack by now shipping comics on ebay is disgraceful. Everyonce in awhile you cant avoid it, but if its happening that much thats unreal.

Of course if you are buying NM and think you will get NM+ or better thats another matter too. ;)

Edited by Fastballspecial

Why not compare? Because there are numerous examples of titles that could have been Chew at this point. Every single one fizzled. Just playing the odds. (thumbs u

we're overdue for another Chew...eventually i'll stop rolling snake eyes and get those double sixes.

:facepalm:

I'm afraid it just doesn't work that way. You also appear to be missing the hot titles lately. 2c

probably so, i'm just focusing my collecting so that when, if, i collapse it will be monumental. I do better at rare book collecting overall, had more hits than misses on those.

Dont feel bad others just wont talk about their misses. (thumbs u

anyways interesting to read all the different perspectives concerning comic collecting, etc.

So do you collect Moderns or are you using them as a means for something else?

Moderns are purely used to support my main collecting such as Art and ASM.

I buy books like anyone else in hopes of turning a dollar. Once I get around 300.00-500.00, I go shopping for a piece of Art or a nice ASM book. I usually don't go over 5-10 books either when speculating as to help reduce my exposures. I'm sitting on a small stack of ToT, Nonplayer, Fatale, and got a stack of Saga 1 on order. I sold off my Chew 22's for 20.00 a set (A&B covers).

it's a means of quenching my inner fire of buying and selling.....i'm not always good at it but i love to do it. Computers, electronics, repair old systems and get rid of them on craigslist, coins, stamps, rare books, autographs, comics, whatever i can get my hands on.

My one rule is I only use funds i gather up from selling other things, i don't go in debt doing it. Once i get up high enough i buy a couple things i'll keep (inhumans, etc.) and then continue on.

Why not compare? Because there are numerous examples of titles that could have been Chew at this point. Every single one fizzled. Just playing the odds. (thumbs u

we're overdue for another Chew...eventually i'll stop rolling snake eyes and get those double sixes.

:facepalm:

I'm afraid it just doesn't work that way. You also appear to be missing the hot titles lately. 2c

probably so, i'm just focusing my collecting so that when, if, i collapse it will be monumental. I do better at rare book collecting overall, had more hits than misses on those.

Dont feel bad others just wont talk about their misses. (thumbs u

It's funny because it's true. My personal biggest misses were titles i thought were blue chippers like Spiderman and Xmen. Just go look at my dollar sale. doh!

I'm interested in why people continue to believe cover A (beauty) will outsell and remain more popular with half the number of issues. I can't think of one issue that supports this line of thinking. It would be different if cover B (beast) was a 2nd print.

I don't get this at all either. I understand that, all things being equal, most seem to prefer the Beauty cover (though I think they are both pretty awesome). Regardless, though, things are NOT equal. Only thing I can fathom is that it's just not common knowledge yet (and I haven't seen any seller make mention of the disparity in print run yet). If the book remains hot, I fully expect the Beast cover to be selling for more than Beauty before long. Beast cover seems like a steal right now at $10 when Beauty routinely sells for $20+.

+1 although I'm disgusted by the vast majority of raw books I pick up on eBay ... I've never seen , let alone been the victim, of so much fraud in my life. Everything I buy on eBay arrives in bad shape. It's ridiculous trying to buy a hot book in good condition. Some

times I think people just unload there banged up books on eBay knowing that it isn't worth the time to fight back.

Sellers that dont know how to pack by now shipping comics on ebay is disgraceful. Everyonce in awhile you cant avoid it, but if its happening that much thats unreal.

Of course if you are buying NM and think you will get NM+ or better thats another matter too. ;)

I'll give you a good example ... I picked up 10 copies of Luther Strode #1 ... Each of the six I've got so far had nasty spine creases, one had a cover dent & one had a corner that was mashed in. My problem isl that I'll often buy multiple copies of hot books before the CGC copies come back so I think I'm getting what's left on tge rack after everyone at the LCS has pulled the NM copies ... I'm going to try and stop buying off eBay and start buying here.

i bought 13 copies (yes should of just waited for the expo variant) of Thief of Thieves from 4 different sources and all 4 had the same spine crease in the exact same spot...yet i've heard some say theirs have no spine crease at all. I smell collusion.

+1 although I'm disgusted by the vast majority of raw books I pick up on eBay ... I've never seen , let alone been the victim, of so much fraud in my life. Everything I buy on eBay arrives in bad shape. It's ridiculous trying to buy a hot book in good condition. Some

times I think people just unload there banged up books on eBay knowing that it isn't worth the time to fight back.

I'll give you a good example ... I picked up 10 copies of Luther Strode #1 ... Each of the six I've got so far had nasty spine creases, one had a cover dent & one had a corner that was mashed in. My problem isl that I'll often buy multiple copies of hot books before the CGC copies come back so I think I'm getting what's left on tge rack after everyone at the LCS has pulled the NM copies ... I'm going to try and stop buying off eBay and start buying here.

You buy from guys here and you better pop in a movie first because you're going to be there a while unwrapping their nuclear proof packing lol These guys are serious about packing! I actually buy from these guys to learn better packing skills ;)

i've been ebaying since 98 and i've actually learned quite a few things unwrapping some of these packages. Lots of good information for future sales in the way they assemble their packages.

I've been doing it 10 Years yesterday my self...just got my Ebay message about it lol

Alright, lets bring it back to comics :P

Here is a 9.8 cgc Adventure Time cover E, curious to see what it goes for with 2hrs left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adventure-Time-Cover-E-CGC-9-8-/160746654785?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item256d3f4c41#ht_500wt_1413

Closed at $100. Not bad at all for the seller. I'm sure the buyer is happy too. (thumbs u