• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,858 posts in this topic

The most recent Oversteet on BA 12 says $75 in NM- :gossip:

That's pretty impressive from Overstreet, to have a book like that right up to date.

Apparently this is one of the new advisors:

She wouldnt have to buy comic books, Id give them to her

I wouldn't give them to her, but she would get a HUGE discount. :)

Is that a euphemism?

(:

-slym (would like to be on her "advisory board")

dont you think that someone that goes through the trouble of bringing a child in a stroller REALLY wants to go to the convention?

No, otherwise they would have planned to get a babysitter/daycare MONTHS in advance. :busy:

dont you think that someone that goes through the trouble of bringing a child in a stroller REALLY wants to go to the convention?

No, otherwise they would have planned to get a babysitter/daycare MONTHS in advance. :busy:

so you, as a seller, would rather they spend extra cash on a sitter? ;)

Hahaha. Good point on the vendor-side of things. :grin:

No, me as a buyer/walker-arounder thinks it's goofy if they don't plan ahead. Like I said, get a managable stroller (smaller one, not the huge organic, gluten-free ones), or get like a Baby Bjorn carrier, backpack thingy, etc. And be mindful of others around you.

Or, try to find someone prior to look after Jr., if you're just bringing the kid along to watch them (not because "hey, its a fund child/parent outing").

But no, banning children like SOME PEOPLE are suggesting, that's just insane in the membrane.

Can we just talk about the kids for a second?

Do you guys think a kid in a stroller is going to remember the convention at all?

I also don't think its safe for children at most conventions but that opens up a totally different bag of worms.

Possibly, possibly not. Same thing as takeing a kid that young to Disney World (I think it's a waste, personally). It's more for the moment, I guess, than the memories.

Ya, it's not safe for them because rude, inconsiderate people decide it's cool to not watch where they're going, bump in to other people, hog space, etc.

Don't want to put words in Jimmy's mouth, but I think he's talking about the pedophiles and other creeps that populate a comic con rather than rude people.

And he's right, they attend cons. You have to be vigilant and think about what environment you are in before you let your kids go off alone.

(shrug)

No, me as a buyer/walker-arounder thinks it's goofy if they don't plan ahead. Like I said, get a managable stroller (smaller one, not the huge organic, gluten-free ones), or get like a Baby Bjorn carrier, backpack thingy, etc. And be mindful of others around you.

Or, try to find someone prior to look after Jr., if you're just bringing the kid along to watch them (not because "hey, its a fund child/parent outing").

But no, banning children like SOME PEOPLE are suggesting, that's just insane in the membrane.

I can't find a sitter that doesn't scare me for under $15/hr. So, we're talking $120++. I understand the going rate is probably $8-$10 elsewhere, but either way, we're talking about a lot of dollar books!!!

With that said, I understand the stroller point and have said "F-IT" when my wife conditioned attendance at some local shows on me taking the 8 year old (which I can deal with) AND the baby (now 2) because i didn't want to deal with a stroller, though I'm not so sure the big ones are going to make THAT much of a difference in terms of other people. plus, the big ones are good because you can hang lots of bags of convention purchases off them and under them! (further irritating others)

but if you are going to attack folks for taking up space, what about the typical morbidly obese conventio goer? should I pay double for my ticket? if so, should i sit on you and crush you?

Do you guys think a kid in a stroller is going to remember the convention at all?

I also don't think its safe for children at most conventions but that opens up a totally different bag of worms.

Possibly, possibly not. Same thing as takeing a kid that young to Disney World (I think it's a waste, personally). It's more for the moment, I guess, than the memories.

Ya, it's not safe for them because rude, inconsiderate people decide it's cool to not watch where they're going, bump in to other people, hog space, etc.

Don't want to put words in Jimmy's mouth, but I think he's talking about the pedophiles and other creeps that populate a comic con rather than rude people.

And he's right, they attend cons. You have to be vigilant and think about what environment you are in before you let your kids go off alone.

(shrug)

Wow, I totally didn't get that from Linguinni's post. Jimmy, is THAT what you were reffering too??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is this a problem at the big conventions you guys go to??? I think parents should safeguard there kids, regardless, but is this another peril I'm going to have to worry about soon???

GEEZ.

And Woogie, are you saying that out of the comic-guy/girl population, there's a lot of the creep-o's, or that non-comic creep-o's specifically target these things, knowing that they'll have kids, a hectic/chaotic atmosphere, etc???

(shrug)

Wow, I totally didn't get that from Linguinni's post. Jimmy, is THAT what you were reffering too??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is this a problem at the big conventions you guys go to??? I think parents should safeguard there kids, regardless, but is this another peril I'm going to have to worry about soon???

GEEZ.

And Woogie, are you saying that out of the comic-guy/girl population, there's a lot of the creep-o's, or that non-comic creep-o's specifically target these things, knowing that they'll have kids, a hectic/chaotic atmosphere, etc???

Heres a local one,

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/07/17/10164001-sun.html

he sets up at conventions in Ontario as 'Comics, Cards, Toys'.

I can't find a sitter that doesn't scare me for under $15/hr. So, we're talking $120++. I understand the going rate is probably $8-$10 elsewhere, but either way, we're talking about a lot of dollar books!!!

With that said, I understand the stroller point and have said "F-IT" when my wife conditioned attendance at some local shows on me taking the 8 year old (which I can deal with) AND the baby (now 2) because i didn't want to deal with a stroller, though I'm not so sure the big ones are going to make THAT much of a difference in terms of other people. plus, the big ones are good because you can hang lots of bags of convention purchases off them and under them! (further irritating others)

but if you are going to attack folks for taking up space, what about the typical morbidly obese conventio goer? should I pay double for my ticket? if so, should i sit on you and crush you?

Ya, I mean, I would try to find family/wife/a friend first. I do understand that would be a lot of money.

Depends on what stroller, too. Like there's one's the width of a kid, skinny tires, and huge Jeep-of-a-strollers with extra wide axels and wheels. Maybe it's a two kid stroller. Then you'll have a second parent walking next to them with their stroller.

Bottom line, it's the parent that matters the most, and how they drive the stroller.

I'm not attacking people for taking up space, I'm attacking people for not having any awareness of their surroundings, or being mindful of others. Lack of common sense is what bugs me.

1-No. Ticket would be normal. Haha.

2-I don't think you would crush me if you sat on me.

3- If you're mindful of others, don't block everything, and are curtious, then come in at 1000 lbs! -->like this chap. :sumo:

If, like some, you stand in the middle of a tiny alleyway, when there's clearly enough space if you move a foot, bump into people and don't even turn your head, then ya, maybe a packed room of people isn't for you.

***BUT***, I never mentioned the weight/size of anyone. Skinny guys/girls can be worse with this behaviour. I find size isn't always a factor.

And for the babysitting, perfect example. Your wife conditioned you going on takeing the kids. Me, I would talk to my wife months in advance, and make sure she was watching the kids that day (if I wasn't takeing them). Trade off a day when she wants to go to a craft show, out with friends, etc.

(shrug)

GEEZ.

Heres a local one,

OOooooo.........that would NOT have ended well.

:mad:

The most recent Oversteet on BA 12 says $75 in NM- :gossip:

That's pretty impressive from Overstreet, to have a book like that right up to date.

Apparently this is one of the new advisors:

She wouldnt have to buy comic books, Id give them to her

I wouldn't give them to her, but she would get a HUGE discount. :)

Is that a euphemism?

(:

-slym (would like to be on her "advisory board")

lol you know, I really didn't mean it that way, but if it works for the joke. :)

(shrug)

GEEZ.

Heres a local one,

OOooooo.........that would NOT have ended well.

:mad:

Yes, there are creep-o's who attend cons specifically to have interactions with young attendees. Sad but true.

(shrug)

GEEZ.

Heres a local one,

Wow!

And now another great reason why not to use a comic store washroom.

I agree with Dukes. At the arena here I've seen dozens of parents bring babies (toddlers/newborns) to games and events. Horrible parenting. I think you need to do what's best for your child, if your plans with the sitter fall apart, then don't go!

(shrug)

GEEZ.

Id be more worried about some of the more adult oriented sections of artist alley nowadays. There was a big Who Ha in NYC a few years back for that. Who wants to expose their 10 year old to that type of adult oriented material including models in some conventions?

(shrug)

GEEZ.

Id be more worried about some of the more adult oriented sections of artist alley nowadays. There was a big Who Ha in NYC a few years back for that. Who wants to expose their 10 year old to that type of adult oriented material including models in some conventions?

I brought my at the time last year eleven yr old to Megafest ie comic books and pornstars show. Not realizing the amperage of porno row, I found myself feeling a bit awkward with my son seeing what I know he was seeing. And I know he knew I knew what he was seeing, ya know.