• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,860 posts in this topic

a harley quinn movie would be direct to video. im sure harley has fans, but prices on ba 12 will drop, long before wd 1 will. we can say wd 1 prices will drop every year but i dont see it happening anytime soon. ba 12 is scarce in 9.8 but im still not sure why the price increased this much in less than 1 year.
mid season break under 1500 :whistle:

maybe. market is crazy. but no way ba 12 will hit 2 g's. most harley fans would rather use that money at hot topic or improving their cosplay outfit.

So, in your opinion, the people driving up the prices on BA12 are Harley cosplayers? Interesting theory. Right now, I would rather have four copies of BA 12 than one WD 1.

"Cosplayers" don't buy any comics.

Since when?

Cosplayers buy plenty of comics and comic related material. We shouldn't begrudge them, they help the industry we love thrive which leads to more money for those of us who hoard and flip books. As comics go the joker and Harley outnumber nearly ever other costume by far. This help to show people what characters are popular enough to warrant prices for books like ba12. In Harley's case her popularity pushes up the prices of her other appearances, something very few characters can ever claim. ba 12 is hard to find but so are nearly every other appearance she had in her first 5 years in print.

a harley quinn movie would be direct to video. im sure harley has fans, but prices on ba 12 will drop, long before wd 1 will. we can say wd 1 prices will drop every year but i dont see it happening anytime soon. ba 12 is scarce in 9.8 but im still not sure why the price increased this much in less than 1 year.

maybe. market is crazy. but no way ba 12 will hit 2 g's. most harley fans would rather use that money at hot topic or improving their cosplay outfit.

So, in your opinion, the people driving up the prices on BA12 are Harley cosplayers? Interesting theory. Right now, I would rather have four copies of BA 12 than one WD 1.

Since when?

Yes, I know some do. It's not all of them, obviously.

But going to comic conventions, I see the same people there for the whole week, and they're walking around in costume, hanging out, taking pictures, etc. I've yet to see one with a bag, a bag with items in them, items in their hands, or one at a booth buying toys, comics, etc.

And I'm not saying they need to be spending tones of money, but from what I've seen, most go just to mingle, and not to shop. (mind you, this is at the conventions. No clue what their store buying habits are).

Since when?

Cosplayers buy plenty of comics and comic related material. We shouldn't begrudge them, they help the industry we love thrive which leads to more money for those of us who hoard and flip books. As comics go the joker and Harley outnumber nearly ever other costume by far. This help to show people what characters are popular enough to warrant prices for books like ba12. In Harley's case her popularity pushes up the prices of her other appearances, something very few characters can ever claim. ba 12 is hard to find but so are nearly every other appearance she had in her first 5 years in print.

This. I have sold plenty of comics to cosplayers, the whole "cosplayers don't buy comics" is a myth perpetuated by dealers that don't stock the books in which cosplayers are interested. Cosplay goes back to the beginnings of conventiondom. I have a lot of fun at the flea market type comics only sales, but I also have fun at the cons with a lot of cosplay. It add to the whole experience. This is a rising tide lifts all boats situation. The bigger comics get, the bigger the related products and hobbies will get. Cosplay is good for comics as a whole, even if it is an inconvenience. The problem is not cospay, it is bad con management. Proper management of conventions will mitigate the problems Jimmy suggests.

Don't even get me started on why we need to get kids more involved in the hobby. :preach:

Since when?

This. I have sold plenty of comics to cosplayers, the whole "cosplayers don't buy comics" is a myth perpetuated by dealers that don't stock the books in which cosplayers are interested. Cosplay goes back to the beginnings of conventiondom. I have a lot of fun at the flea market type comics only sales, but I also have fun at the cons with a lot of cosplay. It add to the whole experience. This is a rising tide lifts all boats situation. The bigger comics get, the bigger the related products and hobbies will get. Cosplay is good for comics as a whole, even if it is an inconvenience. The problem is not cospay, it is bad con management. Proper management of conventions will mitigate the problems Jimmy suggests.

Don't even get me started on why we need to get kids more involved in the hobby. :preach:

Very well said.

Since when?

Good luck getting young people to read more of anything. I gave my nephew copies of The Giver, Ender's Game and a long box filled with things like Bone, Nexus, Yummy Fur, Adv of Batman of Robin, An entire run of Cartoon Network Block Party, Frank, Akiko, etc.... and he read none of it. It's tough to compete with Halo and Legos.

nope. cosplayers dont buy comics. was saying harleys fans are mostly cosplayers.

This is true. Cosplayers and children shouldn't even be at cons

I wouldn't go that far, cons can be enjoyed on different levels, if someone wants to dress up as their favorite character, so be it. and if parents want to bring their kids what's wrong with that? It's superheroes after all. and in my experience parents do buy comics for their kids, it may be the $1 to $10 variety, but that's ok as well.

Whats wrong with it?

1. Kids count for the count of people in the room, meaning if a convention sells out or is at capacity the kids are taking up the space of an adult.

2. people in cosplay do not buy comics

3. strollers in the way of alleys where people are walking

4. Cosplayers in alleys where people are walking taking pictures

5. Cosplayers bring out the worst in people, i.e. creepy old men taking pictures of there butts and posting it on an internet forum

There is a lot wrong with Cosplayers and children at shows those are just my opening points.

Also

6. Furries

If my father (who had no interest whatsoever in comics...but was a Tolkien, Dune, etc. fan) had not taken me and my older brother to conventions in the 70's I'm not sure I'd be a collector now. Maybe, who knows?

I've taken my son (now 8) to comicCon a couple of times. He's looking forward to it this year if our passes come to fruition. with that said, i would not take the two year old with me. he's just too much of a PITA.

with that said, plenty of comic fans don't come to big shows to buy comics. many come for autographs, to meet the "talent" and what have you.

cons would suck without the hot broads

Why?? What is the benefit for you???

If you're paying $50 (or more) to go to a convention to see hot girls, why not just turn on your computer???

Or, he could buy a Playboy, I suppose, but then he'd have to change his username to ThoseMiddlePages.

cons would suck without the hot broads

Why?? What is the benefit for you???

If you're paying $50 (or more) to go to a convention to see hot girls, why not just turn on your computer???

Or, he could buy a Playboy, I suppose, but then he'd have to change his username to ThoseMiddlePages.

I hang out with Eric at NYCC and we have very differing views. I HATE cosplay.

Sorry that I think conventions should be about the comics! What am I thinking?!

Reconsider. Here's why:

In business, there are things known as a 'virtuous cycle' and a 'halo effect'. Cosplayers do both of those things for the comics industry. They raise attendance and enthusiasm at the shows. As this happens, the shows grow, and the publicity they get grows. This helps feed a 'comics are cool' vibe. It also has helped to draw old collectors back into the fold.

All of this is a good thing.

Since when?

Good luck getting young people to read more of anything. I gave my nephew copies of The Giver, Ender's Game and a long box filled with things like Bone, Nexus, Yummy Fur, Adv of Batman of Robin, An entire run of Cartoon Network Block Party, Frank, Akiko, etc.... and he read none of it. It's tough to compete with Halo and Legos.

What age is he though?? I'd say around 9 or 10 is when I started reading comics. Any younger, and I think toys and video games are deffinetly more interesting to kids.

Since when?

What age is he though?? I'd say around 9 or 10 is when I started reading comics. Any younger, and I think toys and video games are deffinetly more interesting to kids.

Good guess, He's 10. Funny thing is he buys comic based lego sets but when I show him a room filled with comics he could care less.

I think it depends on the kid. My 12 year-old son likes Legos and video games too. He made these based on Manhattan Projects and sent a few to Nick Pitarra. Nick sent him a set of custom Legos in exchange and they are a prized possession. My son enjoys comics but he collects differently than I did as a kid. He reads trades but saves his money for keys. He has a nice little collection that keeps growing.

null_zps3bb3f214.jpg

i get that this message board, and specifically this thread are about making money selling comic books.

From a SELLING point of view, i could see why there's so much dislike for Cosplayers.

From a BUYERS point of view, for collecting in general, its usually "easier" to buy something online. Especially with Third Party Grading involved in most "hobbies" nowadays.

Can we just talk about the kids for a second?

Do you guys think a kid in a stroller is going to remember the convention at all?

I also don't think its safe for children at most conventions but that opens up a totally different bag of worms.

I think it depends on the kid. My 12 year-old son likes Legos and video games too. He made these based on Manhattan Projects and sent a few to Nick Pitarra. Nick sent him a set of custom Legos in exchange and they are a prized possession. My son enjoys comics but he collects differently than I did as a kid. He reads trades but saves his money for keys. He has a nice little collection that keeps growing.

null_zps3bb3f214.jpg

Nice.

I actually bought a bunch of those Lego mats, and do the same with my MiniMates.

PS. They're friggin expensive!

Can we just talk about the kids for a second?

Do you guys think a kid in a stroller is going to remember the convention at all?

I also don't think its safe for children at most conventions but that opens up a totally different bag of worms.

Possibly, possibly not. Same thing as takeing a kid that young to Disney World (I think it's a waste, personally). It's more for the moment, I guess, than the memories.

Ya, it's not safe for them because rude, inconsiderate people decide it's cool to not watch where they're going, bump in to other people, hog space, etc.

Edited by Dukes40