• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Avengers 1 9.6 $250k Sale

64 posts in this topic

That's a 9.6?!

Yep. It's really a no-doubter. I know you feel obligated to try and on it, but it is a pretty exceptional copy.

You don't own it anymore, so what are you so defensive about? I wouldn't say anything if you were showing it off as one of your books or were listing it in a sales thread, but you have no stake in the book anymore, so what do you care what I think about it?

I'm looking at the multiple color breaking creases on the spine and thinking the 9.4 GL 76 is getting a lot of grief for the same problems.

I don't know....looks like a solid 9.6 to me. I have personally slabbed multiple silver age 9.8s with more wear apparent than that Avengers has. The corners look razor sharp and I expect the tiny spine stresses don't stand out as much in hand as they do in the scan.

If it was in a 9.4 slab I wouldn't be saying this needs to be a 9.6. Personally I think grading has loosened up as of late. Wish I had mass old labels to resub.

I probably shouldn't say anything but from the scan it does look like a soft 9.6.

I would bet though that in hand it looks like a solid 9.6. I think the very slight miswrap makes the spine SEEM like it is worse than it is in hand. Looking close, I don't see very many stresses at all but at a glance the tiny miswrap makes the spine look a little more worn than it actually is in hand I'd bet.

Either way, it's a 9.6 and WAAAAY outta my league! That's the nicest #1 I've seen other than MAYBE Schmells. Despite our differences, I'm definitely bummed to see cheetah sell off his Avengers run. End of an era for sure :sorry:

They are all gone. My entire set from 1-503 went to a single buyer. I've got four boxes of moderns and a few SA/BA books left from undercopies. I can't even estimate how many hours I spent putting that run together but it was time to move on.

I probably shouldn't say anything but from the scan it does look like a soft 9.6.

I would bet though that in hand it looks like a solid 9.6. I think the very slight miswrap makes the spine SEEM like it is worse than it is in hand. Looking close, I don't see very many stresses at all but at a glance the tiny miswrap makes the spine look a little more worn than it actually is in hand I'd bet.

Either way, it's a 9.6 and WAAAAY outta my league! That's the nicest #1 I've seen other than MAYBE Schmells. Despite our differences, I'm definitely bummed to see cheetah sell off his Avengers run. End of an era for sure :sorry:

They are all gone. My entire set from 1-503 went to a single buyer. I've got four boxes of moderns and a few SA/BA books left from undercopies. I can't even estimate how many hours I spent putting that run together but it was time to move on.

Really?

After i saw the GA thread i checked your registry and saw that 200-503 were still on there a few days ago and figured you kept those for sentimental reasons or because they just werent valuable enough to sell based on the time and effort spent collecting them.

If you dont mind me asking, is the buyer keeping them for the foreseeable future or will at least some of them be showing up in the near future?

Deleting all the books without deleting the whole set is a bit of a pain, so I've only made it part way. I've still got to go through and keep the ones I still have.

I can't speak for the buyer as I do not know who it was. But Vincent at Metro said the guy was interested in keeping the set together and not letting it go.

hawt diggity damn! how much did the registry set go for? hm:golfclap:

I HIGHLY doubt Jeff is going to give out that info but as close as ive followed pretty much EVERY Avengers auction the last 9-12 months, i have a pretty good guesstimate what the run went for hm

I'll be interested to see if a new name shows up at the top of the Avengers Registry for sure though!

Definitely a bummer that my beloved Suscha news 35 and 103 ( and a few others) are now in the hands of someone else :cry:

I should have NEVER let those 2 especially get away! :sorry:

at this rate, there will be 3 new Pedigrees next year with hundreds of high grade Silver Age Avengers for you to buy. ;)

True, but they wont be Suscha's :cry:

Luckily, i'm a Pedigree whore so you're probably right but i'm definitely partial to the Suscha's. That 35 and 103 were especially NICE! (worship)

hawt diggity damn! how much did the registry set go for? hm:golfclap:

I pretty much priced it at GPA with a little included for the time I spent putting it together, especially on the copper age run. There's probably 50 issues that are the only graded copies and came from books I bought off the shelf in Baton Rouge. I'll keep the total private unless the seller discloses it, but I was satisfied.

Personally, from a financial aspect, I feel Cheetah sold at the right time. I think between now and Feb will be the best time to sell Avengers, but after the movie it'll drop. Look at prices of TOS 39's, both before the movies and now.

In any event, awesome book and congrats on the sale.

Personally, from a financial aspect, I feel Cheetah sold at the right time. I think between now and Feb will be the best time to sell Avengers, but after the movie it'll drop. Look at prices of TOS 39's, both before the movies and now.

I dunno about the after part.. The 9.2 Saginaw copy sold for a whopping $72k

This is true, and as Cheetah mentioned it does depend on the film, which is kind of ashame to say. It'll be fun to look back at this a year from now, and see where prices are!

What I find interesting is the long term trend has been up for A1 in HG. It's really hard to tell if prices are near the top in the short term. For the long term, I will not bet against it.

one book doesn't make a trend

my old copy that Metro bought off me a year ago still sit at the asking price since.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=373447&set=0

I couldn't be happier selling that book for a price I doubt I can get at any auctions in the past year.

my old copy that Metro bought off me a year ago still sit at the asking price since.

I couldn't be happier selling that book for a price I doubt I can get at any auctions in the past year.

I had an 8.5 blue back then as well and sold it on ebay. Doesn't look as nice as your copy and mine only had cr-offwhite pages

Its a beautiful copy but if I was a buyer probably worth waiting for another 8.5 to come to auction because you might just save a couple grand.