• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NINE TO GO

119 posts in this topic

When I started reading comics in the early 80's (I'm 29 now), it was exclusively Marvel. My only experience with DC books were an old beater copy of Superman Family #179, and a Superman Radio Shack giveaway. I don't know why, but I hated them and felt embarrased to have them in my collection with the Marvels.

Thankfully, I've broadened my horizons since then. One of the most fun comic oriented events in my life was spending 4 hours in line with a large group of DC fanatics, waiting to get an autograph from Alex Ross. That was quite an education!

I still collect primarily Marvel, but I buy several modern DC titles each month. In a lot of ways, though, I'm still trying to learn all the DC characters and their backstories. I know I'm not getting as much out of the stories as I would if I better understood the canon of the DC universe.

Advice time - Should I read Crisis on Infinite Earths, or will that just confuse me even more?

Advice time - Should I read Crisis on Infinite Earths, or will that just confuse me even more?

It confused me beyond redemption.

I miss Crisis on Earth One and Crisis On Earth Two SO MUCH.

Someone-- perhaps Povertyrow?-- once said on here that DCs were the equivalent of Star Trek the Original Series: Bright, episodic, easily-digestible, somewhat formulaic, but a known quantity. Marvels were the equivalent of Babylon 5: Relatively dark, interconnected, relatively dense/complex, and where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. I've always thought that was right on. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Also, a view I thought that was pretty spot on - someone once posted on a message board that Marvel is about humans trying to be heroes, and DC is about heroes trying to be human.

Someone-- perhaps Povertyrow?-- once said on here that DCs were the equivalent of Star Trek the Original Series: Bright, episodic, easily-digestible, somewhat formulaic, but a known quantity. Marvels were the equivalent of Babylon 5: Relatively dark, interconnected, relatively dense/complex, and where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. I've always thought that was right on.

But I LOVE Babylon 5. The episode called "Severed Dreams" was the best hour of TV EVER.

And I do not love Marvel.

Funny though, how both Star Trek and Babylon 5 were BOTH DC comics.........

Someone-- perhaps Povertyrow?-- once said on here that DCs were the equivalent of Star Trek the Original Series: Bright, episodic, easily-digestible, somewhat formulaic, but a known quantity. Marvels were the equivalent of Babylon 5: Relatively dark, interconnected, relatively dense/complex, and where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. I've always thought that was right on.

But I LOVE Babylon 5. The episode called "Severed Dreams" was the best hour of TV EVER.

And I do not love Marvel.

But see, the point is, you found B5 later in life. It possibly would have left you cold as a 6-year old, just like the Marvel comics did.

Of course, it's not a perfect analogy, as you generally don't see the same religious divide between Star Trek/Babylon 5 fans as you sometimes do with DC/Marvel. It also presumes the DC/Marvel allegiance is based on who we were and what we were doing during the pre-teenage years. Hmmmm: 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Which one was "Severed Dreams"?

It was a build up of events where the President had killed his predecessor, done what the Nazis did in the 1930s and set up fascist anarchy to declare martial law, remove free will, and rule by oppression. It was nail biting edge-of-your-seat suspense and great storytelling rivalling the very best Doctor Who. And truth and justice went out of the window. And dirty tricks prevailed. It involved you so thoroughly that you actually got angry.

Oh and I see your down to eight?

How'd I miss that post!?

Which one did ya nab?

New Adventure 17.

Eight to go.

THE 8 DC COMICS TO COMPLETE THE FULL SET

NEW ADVENTURE COMICS - 22, 26, 27

THE BIG BOOK OF FUN COMICS - 1

BUZZY - 70

DETECTIVE COMICS - 3, 4

LEADING SCREEN - 68

Which will be the last one ????

My money is on the Big Book Of Fun Comics.

When I started collecting in '79 (at 8 years old), I started with DC (Green Lantern, The Flash, and the JLA). Later on, I switched to Marvel and pretty much stayed there. Marvel appealed to me more as I got older, for whatever reason. I've never thought of one company as better than the other.

Since I've gotten back into collecting, I'm amassing a collection of "reader runs" of a lot of titles, but most of them are Marvel. (It's funny, I never bothered to see whether there were more Marvel or DC titles on my want list until now. I just collect what I like. I just happen to prefer a greater number of Marvel titles than DC titles.)

But the DC titles I like, I really, REALLY like. GL (Hal) and Flash (Barry) are my favorite all-time individual heroes. The only full run I'd prefer over GL, Flash, and JLA (vol. 1) would be FF, although I'd be happy with full runs of any of them.

Pity we can't redo it to just show the 8, rather than have a big red cross through New Adventure 17.

Actually, we could since it's not a big deal in Photoshop. I just thought you might like a visual record of the countdown since taking each comic off removes them from the consciousness so to speak...

Actually, we could since it's not a big deal in Photoshop. I just thought you might like a visual record of the countdown since taking each comic off removes them from the consciousness so to speak...

No, it's much better to watch them shrink.

Eight to go.

I feel kind of sad that Buzzy #70 is coming off of this chart.

Well it's not only down to six now, but I know where there are copies of Detective 3 and 4. Reaching a deal on the price is another matter altogether, so at the moment it still remains at six.