• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Countries To Avoid Shipping To (Chargeback Problems)

80 posts in this topic

My friend always tells me Nigeria, and Italy. He said Italy has a terrible postal service. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard the same about Italy, though I've never had any personal issues with anyone there. I've always received my purchases from them.

I guess I`ve been lucky and havent had a chargeback yet over 30 countries served (thumbs u -- going on 15 years on ebay -- but i always get nervous when shipping to the Eastern European countries ( the few packages that i have ) so far everything has been just fine -- Mike

I generally try to keep our American treasures right here in the good old USofA,

just like the Big Guy Upstairs intended.

Would you also be good enough to keep your Hannah Montanas and Lady Gagas?

I generally try to keep our American treasures right here in the good old USofA,

just like the Big Guy Upstairs intended.

Would you also be good enough to keep your Hannah Montanas and Lady Gagas?

Throw in the Kardashians.

Please.

Seriously, the OP would be better served if the question had been who are the "bad" buyers (and sellers) regardless of origin.

My friend always tells me Nigeria, and Italy. He said Italy has a terrible postal service. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard the same about Italy, though I've never had any personal issues with anyone there. I've always received my purchases from them.

The issue I heard about Italy is it`s their post office that the shenanigans take place. There is a good shot that the package will be "lost".

As he recommended to me is buyers in Italy should open their packages in front of postal workers if their package looks tampered with. Contents are being stolen and packages delivered with nothing inside. Oh yes and make sure you get tracking on it.

Without saying something that could offend, it probably would be better to start your research according to PayPal worldwide coverage.

In a few words, a lot of the problem buyers gravitate towards certain types of consumer items. Electronics for instance will have a strong following from countries like Indonesia (which isn't a country covered through PayPal because of the high incidence of credit card fraud) and Italy. In the past, when I have sold electronics, I steered away from these two areas, and the tip-off was primarily that buyers seemed too willing and eager to overpay for goods, shipping, etc.

The best way to go about this is to create a shipping "comfort" zone, where you know everything you need to know about what your shipper can provide in the way of tracking, insurance, etc. If any buyers enter the mix, and it becomes too great a risk as far as not having a traceable service available, or a service level not recognized by PayPal under their seller protection eligibility, perhaps it is these buyers from these areas that you could use as examples for an exclusion list.

Bottom line is that chargebacks can occur from people living in the same state you reside. It isn't synonymous with geography, but rather a criminal element found everywhere.

This post gives the best advice!

^^

I've had an issue with a buyer in Italy, the one and only transaction I've had with Italy, ending up giving a refund on the "lost" package.

Although I am Canadian myself and as a buyer I do not give sellers difficulty whatsoever, I can't say the same about select other Canadians when I'm in a seller role.

Caution: rant coming on.....In fact, I just received a string of Neutral FB on eBay from a Canadian who was angered because I placed two comics in one bag/board facing opposite directions, just like my auctions stated I would do for shipping purposes!

And there was no communication whatsoever. I even offered a full refund to him after he posted the Neutrals but he refused to return them....he just wanted money back AND keep the books too.

My point is, I prefer dealing with Americans as they don't seem as self-righteous or obstinate (for lack of a better word) as my fellow Canadians when it comes to buying or selling comics with them.

To my fellow Canadian Boardies....I've had no issues with any of you :)

The issue I heard about Italy is it`s their post office that the shenanigans take place. There is a good shot that the package will be "lost".

As he recommended to me is buyers in Italy should open their packages in front of postal workers if their package looks tampered with. Contents are being stolen and packages delivered with nothing inside. Oh yes and make sure you get tracking on it.

Last year at around this time, I was hearing a lot of ruckus and discontent towards Royal Mail (UK) from the RS (Star Wars community) forums, second only to the complaints against Mexico's postal service. I'm not sure this qualifies for buyer related issues as much as an overall lack of confidence towards mail delivery services from these countries.

Last year at around this time, I was hearing a lot of ruckus and discontent towards Royal Mail (UK) from the RS (Star Wars community) forums, second only to the complaints against Mexico's postal service. I'm not sure this qualifies for buyer related issues as much as an overall lack of confidence towards mail delivery services from these countries.

I buy lots of comics from the US and have never had a problem with either USPS or Royal Mail either sending or receiving 2c

I had an absolute nightmare when I sent a ring to a Mister Sauron from Mordor. He paid immediately, but the package went missing in the postal system. The postmaster was able to track it back to a temp worker by the name of Smeagol. He just up and vanished with the package. :(

Trust me when I say you don't want nine Nazgul showing up at your door. Much worse than a chargeback.

Those Star Wars fans are just nutz.

I buy lots of comics from the US and have never had a problem with either USPS or Royal Mail either sending or receiving 2c

Me too.