• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charity Auction for Veterans' Day...Cap Omnibus to the winner :)

71 posts in this topic

$17 for a family friend and great young man, Brandon Titus, who didn't make it back from Iraq.

http://www.brandontitusmemorialride.org

What a great thread. We can never thank them enough.

$18 for my nephew William who served with a National Guard Military Police detachment watching over prisoners for a year in Afghanistan.

$20

thank your dad for his services in Viet Nam

As a Vietnamese, I want to thanks all the men and women that made the sacrifices so I can be here today.

My father, a peasant with no formal education, joined the French army in Viet Nam in 1952 to fight the communist. The French saw something special in him and decided to send him to Paris to get a formal education in 1953. He lucked out and missed the great battle of Dien Bien Phu or he might not be around today.

He returned from Paris a few years later with a Master in Mathematics and finished his tour of duty with the French. He opened the first and only private school in Viet Nam and widely recognized as one of the highest intellect in the country.

He was a tough man and raised me with an iron fist, very military like. His biggest belief of "it is not matter what you do, but how you do it" motto will stay with me forever. In the heyday, we were like the Kennedys in Viet Nam but after the war and the communist took away everything, he even peddled rickshaw to earn money to feed us. He was never too proud to do what it took.

This is a day to remember my 2 dead uncles that served with the Americans as tank commander and paratrooper in that war, and everyone else that made the ultimate sacrifice.

I love you Dad and thank you for passing a little bit of your genetic code to me.

$21 dedicated to my Grandfather who served in WW2. He was on the Coolidge when it was sank by one of our mines. He was a marksman and head machine gunnist. Buried by a land mine. He managed to live until the mid 90's. I wish I would have listened closer to all of the stories he told a thousand times.

$22 For my friend John, who died from the effects of agent orange last year. He was on his way to be a college professor when he was drafted and sent to Vietnam. He was one of the smartest, kindest people I ever had the pleasure of knowing, we shared an office at work for years, he had 5 kids and gave the best child rearing advice. Poor man was in the area that was sprayed and he died a terrible death all directly related to the poison that we used there.

Wow...touched my heart you guys (and gals) :applause:

Thanks so much for helping support the cause!

My condolences for your loss Sharon (as well as the prior bidders who lost loved ones and friends to war). And my gratitude for all the other named and unnamed service members mentioned in the bids prior...some great stories, and some heartbreaking ones as well :sorry:

This one is for my Grandpa Pipe (what can I say he smoked a pipe and I was two or three when I decided that was how he should be named lol ). Served in World War II and came back...he had a rough life (when I was older and understood better what was going on). He passed a number of years back and is buried in Camp Butler (Springfield, IL). My thanks for your service as well :foryou:

Leading bid in the early morning hours is Skypinkblue with $22

I can't think of any veterans I am personally close to, but hope these are in the spirit of the thread:

$23 For the homeless vets I've seen in NYC as I've grown up through the years... they deserve better, and their service is appreciated.

and

$24 For all the vets whose names I will never know, who have fought for my country and its people. Thank you.

What a great thread, Heath :applause:

My condolences as well, Sharon and to everyone else who has lost a friend or loved one in the service of our country.

And thanks so much to everyone who has served and to all those that gave their lives so that we might be free. May God bless all of you and your families.

I get teary eyed reading most of these...

Anyway, this one's for Brother Andy, the pastor at my Mom and Dad's church. He served in Viet Nam and is suffering the effects of Agent Orange, but he's in his early 60s and still kicking (thumbs u

Well, it was $23 when I started typing, but by the time I submitted, 2 more bids had been posted ;)

$25

$20

thank your dad for his services in Viet Nam

As a Vietnamese, I want to thanks all the men and women that made the sacrifices so I can be here today.

My father, a peasant with no formal education, joined the French army in Viet Nam in 1952 to fight the communist. The French saw something special in him and decided to send him to Paris to get a formal education in 1953. He lucked out and missed the great battle of Dien Bien Phu or he might not be around today.

He returned from Paris a few years later with a Master in Mathematics and finished his tour of duty with the French. He opened the first and only private school in Viet Nam and widely recognized as one of the highest intellect in the country.

He was a tough man and raised me with an iron fist, very military like. His biggest belief of "it is not matter what you do, but how you do it" motto will stay with me forever. In the heyday, we were like the Kennedys in Viet Nam but after the war and the communist took away everything, he even peddled rickshaw to earn money to feed us. He was never too proud to do what it took.

This is a day to remember my 2 dead uncles that served with the Americans as tank commander and paratrooper in that war, and everyone else that made the ultimate sacrifice.

I love you Dad and thank you for passing a little bit of your genetic code to me.

My grandfather did the same thing. I am here today because of him and his sacrifices.

$26.

This thread is incredible. (worship)

$27 to all my fellow Canadians who have made the ultimate sacrifice and are currently fighting in Afghanistan. Although I don't have close family or friends at war I pay close attention and always have all the troops in my heart and in my prayers.

$29 to my grandfather who volunteered to serve in the Army Air Corps in WW2 and the only thing that he had to say was that he "flew recon". "I'd fly over, look at some German stuff on the ground and tell them 'yup, it's still there." That's all that he would really say about it. This is the same grandfather who was shot in the back of the neck while flying and survived. To his memory and the memory of all those who served.

$30

For the two unknown GI's in WW2 that saved my mother in her village in Italy when she was only 5 years old.

Allowed for her to emigrate to the US after the war and start her life in America.

Great stories guys....I wish I could find the interview I did of my father (think I was in sixth grade). I remember feeling a sense of bewilderment and pride for him and his fellow soldiers/sailors/aviators. Still need to call him and wish him a Happy Veterans Day (thumbs u

Anyway, the lead is $29 from Paul with a donation in the memory of his gradfather and those who served :applause:

EDIT: Taking the lead while I type for two unknown, but remembered GIs is comix4fun at $30 :foryou: