• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone tried to burgle my house today

27 posts in this topic

A window was broken.

Fortunately, everything (including the comics) is still here.

I realise today that it does not happen to others only...

Tomorrow, i'll go to my insurance company to cover the damage and to have a surveillance device installed.

These people who steal the result of work of the others are . :mad:

Sorry to hear you had this happen to you, mate. :(:foryou:

I really, really hate the worthless scum who do this sort of thing. :mad:

A window was broken. Fortunately, everything (including the comics) is still here. These people who steal the result of work of the others are . :mad:

So they stole nothing? Wow that is lucky.... Guess you didn't have any good, obvious "smash-and-grab," easy-resale stuff, or something.

Over the years, my (divorced) parents' houses have both been burgled repeatedly. Growing up I accumulated what I think was a very cool coin collection, with lots of buffalo nickels, old dimes, bicentennial silver dollars, $2 bills, and various odds and ends. In one burglary, it was all gone. This incident pretty much "cured" me of my coin-collecting obsession.

Thieves can be pretty daring. My parents were also burgled while they held a garage/yard sale. One person kept them occupied asking questions while an accomplice slipped around the back of the house and jimmied a window open. They got a bunch of jewelry and a vintage guitar, among other items.

It can also happen among friends. One afternoon my parents (mother and stepfather) had another couple -- whom they'd recently developed a new friendship with -- over to have dinner and go swimming. While swimming, the man excused himself to go in the house and use the bathroom. He was gone a while and presumably had to see a man about a horse. A couple days later, my mom went to put on some jewelry and realized most of her best stuff was missing. They called the friends and told them about this, suggesting the man had stolen it (he had recently been out of work and was hard up for money). The couple took the line of, "How DARE you accuse us of stealing! We are your FRIENDS! But I guess maybe you're not such good friends after all! Good day! ....I SAID GOOD DAY!"

We continue to PROTECT burglars and thieves by not making them do time, not paying restitution, and structuring laws on how we can protect our homes. All these gold shops that have sprung up only increase this trend by buying family heirlooms that are carelessly cut up to hide identifiable characteristics. Thieves hide behind "I was just trying to feed my family", but I have never heard of a house being broken into and just the pantry being cleaned out.

This same thing happened to members at my church, and they lost a lot of jewelry from relatives that has been passed down. Burglars just kicked in the front door, and nobody called the cops or did anything. Sad, really sad.

Glad to hear nothing was taken, add an alarm with glass break sensors. A little prevention will go a long way to making you feel safe in the house again.

Very sorry to hear this. :(  I was burgled when I lived near London in the early 90s. 

I can empathise - it's a horrible feeling of violation.  A few items were stolen, but none of my comic books.

Thanks,

i'm not the kind of guy that exposes his life on the Internet, but i must admit that i'm a little shocked tonight...

Sorry about this. I might have a lead for you. chromium has not been posting lately. Perhaps he is taking a "business" trip?

Were you home when it happened?

Was anything taken?

No and no, again fortunately...

I think something happened and they have to leave the house rapidly (for example, The WII and the PS3 were something easy to grab but nothing has been touched).

Just a window broken and a part of the fence in the garden destroyed.