• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's Christmas

19 posts in this topic

Being an attempt by a simple man to assess the attainable grails of his fellow board members

The Christmas Fairy is in town and she wants to give everybody on the boards a present. One present mind, not two or more. Being a generous soul, the Fairy is prepared to spend on each individuals gift an amount up to that persons total spend on comics in the previous 12 months**.

The fairy has only a few conditions before she dispenses her largesse:

i) She hates greed. She realises that it would be impossible to force people to keep her presents forever, but they are definitely intended as things of beauty rather than potential items for sale. As a consequence, anyone trying to sell or trade their present within the next 10 years, will have to watch as it spontaneously combusts.

ii) She also hates prevarication. Anyone who is unable to mention just one item, even if all they say is "I did contemplate a Detective 27 but in the end went for an Action 1" will receive short shrift from the fairy as well as the scorn of his fellow man.

iii) She can only gift the giftable. Even if your spending was so high as to permit for whatever an Amazing Fantasy 15 in 10.0 is likely to be worth, the fairy cannot give you what she cannot get. There has to be at least one copy already in existence, but she is able to make Dave Anderson an offer he cannot refuse for his Mile High Action 1.

** Your total spend on comics in the previous 12 months, is the amount that you actually spent. If you bought $10000 worth and sold $5000 worth, then your total spend is $10000. Anyone who says it's $5000 should go on a shopping trip with their wife/girlfriend for a class in Perverted Finances 101. The only exception is for bona fide comic book dealers, in which case the fairy is looking at personal spending rather than business spending.

OK. It's my game and them's the rules, so I'll kick off.

I'll take a low-mid grade More Fun 52, something with nice eye appeal in the VG to Fine range.

And you?

AF 15 in 9.4 I would imagine. Bit predictable, but that's me. Great to have you back GP, sorry to hear that you've become a fairy. And that you've started yet another wish fulfillment thread.

What you're asking is how much each Forumite has spent on comics this year, and what single item, given all that money back, would they purchase if they had the chance. So you spent $10,500 in the last 12 months on comics. Not bad.

What you're asking is how much each Forumite has spent on comics this year, and what single item, given all that money back, would they purchase if they had the chance. So you spent $10,500 in the last 12 months on comics. Not bad.

In a way, but you're not obliged to use the full amount (if your 'grail' comes to less). It's about attainable goals rather than just wish-fulfilment. I actually spent around $15K, but I also off-loaded around half of that in old material. My new money spend was only around £4000, but since I didn't leave the other 4 grand in the bank, I doubled that. I'd love a More Fun and if I wanted, I could have bought one. Barring the lottery though, I'm not likely to end up with a 9.0+

Not been a big 12 months for me as far as spending on comic books goes. But hopefully the fairy could reach out for a nice VF copy of Strange Tales #110.

That book in that grade is slowly climbing up my want list. thumbsup2.gif

I like Chrome's pick, FF#1 6.0 or a AF#15, TOS#39 that fits the budget. ($10,000?) Then sit back for 25 years and see what I can get for them. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Actually this is an interesting scenario as I am contemplating changing my buying habits and saving up for one big key purchase, resisting the urge to buy 5 or 6 $1,000+ pieces in the next 6-12 months. What do you think?

for me its: Uncanny X-Men #94 9.6...of course! thumbsup2.gif