• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed

23 posts in this topic

So my nieces and sister in-law have come to visit for the holidays. So you know the first thing the kids did is hit up my man cave to play on the x-box and oogle the comics on my walls. Being a good uncle "and a smart man" I pulled out the penny comics long box and told the girls to go through and grab anything they wanted, and once they had selected their books to go into the front room and read.

Amazingly I hear silence for 30 mins "thank god". Being concerned though I call out from my man cave to the front room to make sure the 2 girls are ok. I ask Brittney what she is reading. She replies "Casper!" alright I know that book. Wholesome, safe, ECT. Next I ask Lani "The 9 year old" what she is reading and she says *** Allison *** ummm ok. I don’t have any idea what that is. Not surprising as I cannot remember every copper/modern issue I own, but it had me concerned enough to go find out what the heck this Allison comic book was.

It was a frigging Dazzler comic

Now if that isn’t bad enough she asks me if she can keep the book "obviously I obliged". That night at dinner her mom asks what the two of them did while my wife and she went shopping. The two explained that they read comics with Uncle Griff. "Man did I ever get an evil eye from the sister-in-law for that one"

Throughout the entire dinner Lani keeps talking about the book & how when she grows up she now wants to be a rock star crime fighter.

So what does she want for Christmas now??? You guessed it More **Allison** books. /sigh

God I hope I have more Dazzler books in my long box of junk comics because there is no way in hell I’m going into my LCS and asking for back issues. More importantly I don’t know if I should be proud of turning a new person on to comics or ashamed that their first book will always be Dazzler.

So my nieces and sister in-law have come to visit for the holidays. So you know the first thing the kids did is hit up my man cave to play on the x-box and oogle the comics on my walls. Being a good uncle "and a smart man" I pulled out the penny comics long box and told the girls to go through and grab anything they wanted, and once they had selected their books to go into the front room and read.

Amazingly I hear silence for 30 mins "thank god". Being concerned though I call out from my man cave to the front room to make sure the 2 girls are ok. I ask Brittney what she is reading. She replies "Casper!" alright I know that book. Wholesome, safe, ECT. Next I ask Lani "The 9 year old" what she is reading and she says *** Allison *** ummm ok. I don’t have any idea what that is. Not surprising as I cannot remember every copper/modern issue I own, but it had me concerned enough to go find out what the heck this Allison comic book was.

Now if that isn’t bad enough she asks me if she can keep the book "obviously I obliged". That night at dinner her mom asks what the two of them did while my wife and she went shopping. The two explained that they read comics with Uncle Griff. "Man did I ever get an evil eye from the sister-in-law for that one"

Throughout the entire dinner Lani keeps talking about the book & how when she grows up she now wants to be a rock star crime fighter.

So what does she want for Christmas now??? You guessed it More **Allison** books. /sigh

God I hope I have more Dazzler books in my long box of junk comics because there is no way in hell I’m going into my LCS and asking for back issues. More importantly I don’t know if I should be proud of turning a new person on to comics or ashamed that their first book will always be Dazzler.

PM me your address. Youn can have as many Dazzler books as she wants.

Amazingly I hear silence for 30 mins "thank god". Being concerned though I call out from my man cave to the front room to make sure the 2 girls are ok. I ask Brittney what she is reading. She replies "Casper!" alright I know that book. Wholesome, safe, ECT. Next I ask Lani "The 9 year old" what she is reading and she says *** Allison *** ummm ok. I dont have any idea what that is. Not surprising as I cannot remember every copper/modern issue I own, but it had me concerned enough to go find out what the heck this Allison comic book was.

Now if that isnt bad enough she asks me if she can keep the book "obviously I obliged". That night at dinner her mom asks what the two of them did while my wife and she went shopping. The two explained that they read comics with Uncle Griff. "Man did I ever get an evil eye from the sister-in-law for that one"

God I hope I have more Dazzler books in my long box of junk comics because there is no way in hell Im going into my LCS and asking for back issues. More importantly I dont know if I should be proud of turning a new person on to comics or ashamed that their first book will always be Dazzler.

Dude, there is NOTHING to be ashamed of! That is damn AWESOME that a little girl reads "Allison" comic books! As a whole, I think Dazzler is quite good for young girls, and that's great that she enjoys them.

Just great.

Good show!

Dude, there is NOTHING to be ashamed of! That is damn AWESOME that a little girl reads "Allison" comic books! As a whole, I think Dazzler is quite good for young girls, and that's great that she enjoys them.

Just great.

Good show!

+1 - there is a comic book out there for everyone to enjoy no matter what our personal taste are.

Good show. The kind of stuff the boards are good at. Sharing. Usually we share too many words, but comics and kindness are abundant too. :grin:

(worship)

Yeah I agree. When my wife and sister-in-law go into the whole "team jacob vs team edward schtick. I never miss the oppertunity to chime in and say im "TEAM CREDITS" Lord knows i cant wait for the end credits to roll :)

As far as the books go im still searching but i havent found any more and she took the one she found with her when they left. I will probably pick up the whole run "only like 50 issues right?" and send them to her as a Christmas present or maybe a Birthday present as her birthday is in January. I was thinking i would send them bagged and boarded along with a note about collecting and caring for your comics "think thats over the top?"

Griff

Yeah I agree. When my wife and sister-in-law go into the whole "team jacob vs team edward schtick. I never miss the oppertunity to chime in and say im "TEAM CREDITS" Lord knows i cant wait for the end credits to roll :)

As far as the books go im still searching but i havent found any more and she took the one she found with her when they left. I will probably pick up the whole run "only like 50 issues right?" and send them to her as a Christmas present or maybe a Birthday present as her birthday is in January. I was thinking i would send them bagged and boarded along with a note about collecting and caring for your comics "think thats over the top?"

Griff

I feel bad for your niece :(

I don't think it's over the top.

I'm for Team Blade :devil:

Griff

I feel bad for your niece :(

I don't think it's over the top.

I'm for Team Blade :devil:

53242page.jpg

As far as the over the top thing, my son (soon to be 11) thinks comics are cool just because he sees my collection, how I handle, care for, and store them. So he thinks they are cool because he thinks I'm cool... oh and the Spider-Man movies helped too, I'm sure. :popcorn: But maybe take that route, give your niece a tour of your comics and why they are "cool" to you.