• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading advice on my Cap #78

15 posts in this topic

After owning this book for a few years, I'm finally considering selling it to free up a little cash for buying some other stuff. I have a general sense of how I would grade it, but it has a couple of problems that always give me pause. I thought I might get a bit of a concensus before I decide if and how to list it.

cap_78.jpg

cap_78b.jpg

Most of the problems are pretty obvious from the scans- creasing, fanning, edge tears. I will note that though it isn't definite from the scans, both staples are still attached to the cover, though the bottom just barely. The only "hidden" problem is that there are a few small (<1/2") tears at the top of the interior pages. The main point of indecision for me is that the copy does have some moisture damage. It is especially noticeable at the lower right of the front and the lower left of the back where there is some color loss (probably due to sticking to another book). But, the book is very supple. Pages are cream to light tan and the interior is bright and solid. Looking forward to your opinions.

Great cover! cloud9.gif

Given the water damage and ink loss, I think you'd have to put this in the Good range. That said, structurally it isn't so bad and decent color and eye appeal for a low grade book. You should have no problem selling this. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks guys.

All this corresponds to my thinking. I'm on the fence between FR+ (1.5) and GD- (1.8) but that's probably a tight enough range for an Ebay listing along with some big scans and a good description. More opinions welcome.

That'd be prefect. thumbsup2.gif You can always list the grade as 1.5/1.8.

Thanks guys.

All this corresponds to my thinking. I'm on the fence between FR+ (1.5) and GD- (1.8) but that's probably a tight enough range for an Ebay listing along with some big scans and a good description. More opinions welcome.

I would just list it as "low grade" with a complete description and decent scans. That's not to say you couldn't come up with a grade, but I don't think bidders for books in that condition agonize over a .2 or .3 on the scale.

I would just list it as "low grade" with a complete description and decent scans. That's not to say you couldn't come up with a grade, but I don't think bidders for books in that condition agonize over a .2 or .3 on the scale.

Interesting... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is an option I was also considering. I've done this twice before on Ebay with a low grade JLA #1 and a low grade ASM #5. I was quite pleased with the results, as were the buyers based on their FB.

After owning this book for a few years, I'm finally considering selling it to free up a little cash for buying some other stuff. I have a general sense of how I would grade it, but it has a couple of problems that always give me pause. I thought I might get a bit of a concensus before I decide if and how to list it.

cap_78.jpg

cap_78b.jpg

Most of the problems are pretty obvious from the scans- creasing, fanning, edge tears. I will note that though it isn't definite from the scans, both staples are still attached to the cover, though the bottom just barely. The only "hidden" problem is that there are a few small (<1/2") tears at the top of the interior pages. The main point of indecision for me is that the copy does have some moisture damage. It is especially noticeable at the lower right of the front and the lower left of the back where there is some color loss (probably due to sticking to another book). But, the book is very supple. Pages are cream to light tan and the interior is bright and solid. Looking forward to your opinions.

I have to be honest if that is a FAIR (even with the decsribed water damage) I am 19 years old! Yes, the water damage is there but compare this to the average Fair and tell me what you think? Or even a Good Minus. This is a good example of the application of speciifc criteria of a garde to a book that exhibits a lot better than that grade. But hey! I am Pov so feel free to laugh and point! smile.gif

But seriously - I would colect FAIRS or Good Minuses like this all day long!

I'd say Pov's post illustrates perfectly the value of just listing the book as "low grade", and letting the bidders decide exactly how low-grade they consider the book.

As I don't collect HG Gold & Silver, where a .2 adjustment in grade can significantly change the perceived value of a comic, I have become increasingly comfortable with the idea of a grade range for any given copy of a book (albeit a fairly tight one). It seems that it can never be stressed too often that even among knowledgable people, grading is always subjective. While I feel comfortable assigning exact grades myself, I have no complaints with someone elses judgement if it falls within .5 of my own.

I'm more comfortable bidding on a book with a large scan and thorough description of flaws, but a vague grade ("mid-grade copy"), than a small scan and a specific grade like "VG/F" that includes no description of the flaws that contribute to the grade.