• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic books on bookshelves. Solutions?

78 posts in this topic

Oak I bought some of those boxes today and after I trim about an inch off they fit like a glove :applause:

Great,surprised that you have to cut at all.Anyway they are great,and much cheaper than the alternative. (thumbs u

I have six of these shelves built into an odd space in the house. Plus a large area on the floor below the bottom shelf that I could easily make into a low level shelf while keeping the boxes elevated from the floor. I cropped it because the rest of the shelves are a total disaster right now :blush:

comics.jpg

Looks like I can put about 1700 comics here

I have six of these shelves built into an odd space in the house. Plus a large area on the floor below the bottom shelf that I could easily make into a low level shelf while keeping the boxes elevated from the floor. I cropped it because the rest of the shelves are a total disaster right now :blush:

comics.jpg

Looks like I can put about 1700 comics here

That's what I'm talkin' about,nice brother. :applause:

I saw those BCW folios and they look interesting but I think it would be prohibitively expensive to put my entire collection in them, or however much of my collection I can fit on a bookshelf. I was inspired to switch to bookshelves after seeing these

http://www.herringandrobinsonbookbinders.com/html/storage_boxes.html

But at nearly $20 each I think the cost would add up quickly. They are neat looking for the money though. I don't think I have a container store out here :(

I went to Target today and bought three of these thinking they would fit.

1797.jpg

They are just slightly too tall though. I think the price is right though at about $4 each. If only they made these comic book sized. Seems like such a thing would sell (shrug)

You ever think about making your own, if you're handy with a saw and wood. (Great, I just opened the door with that one)

Using magazine holders looks very clean - but not conducive of "flipping" through books - which I regularly do. Do you guys casually browse your collection still, even in these holders?

Using magazine holders looks very clean - but not conducive of "flipping" through books - which I regularly do. Do you guys casually browse your collection still, even in these holders?

I've never really flipped through books, for me it's important to know where every single comic is located and being able to get at any book in under 30 seconds. I love organizing stuff :cloud9:

It's actually easier to find books,and it doesn't put any stress on the books.As opposed to a long or short box. (thumbs u

What type of stress is that? I have my books in a filing cabinet, but I have to wonder if that's any better or worse...

It's actually easier to find books,and it doesn't put any stress on the books.As opposed to a long or short box. (thumbs u

What type of stress is that? I have my books in a filing cabinet, but I have to wonder if that's any better or worse...

The stress of having a hundred or so comics standing at an angle putting pressure on each other.I don't know how a filing cabinet works for comics,I have never used a filing cabinet.Surely, if they are stacked as in a short or long box they could essentially cause the same damage to the spine.I had comics on my cabinet shelves not in magazine holders,and they have caused some damage to the last comics in the stack.I also have an easier time of finding a book,just slide out one mag. holder and that's it.I'm sure as in anything it's not the end all be all,and whatever you like or what works for you is all good.I'm just telling you what works for me. :)

All of you also seem to be exposing some part of your comic (the upper spine area) to light. I'd hazard it would be based on the lighting conditions and how long you keep your collection like that in one location, but I can see some sort of effect happening after many years.

All of you also seem to be exposing some part of your comic (the upper spine area) to light. I'd hazard it would be based on the lighting conditions and how long you keep your collection like that in one location, but I can see some sort of effect happening after many years.

On that note I keep my room pitch black dark,as you can see in my photos. (thumbs u

I think it's going to make going through my collection easier. I had like 21 long boxes and 4 magazine boxes in a very tight space. I quit alphabetizing my comics, just stuffing them in a box when they fit. Couldn't find my comics, didn't know what I had and didn't have. Accidentally bought a ton of doubles, and haven't been reading my back issue collection :cry:

Right now I'm only putting my favorite series on the shelf. So far I have Omaha, Usagi Yojimbo, TMNT, Elfquest, Cherry, Akira, Love And Rockets. Gonna go to Office Depot right now and buy some more boxes. Want to put Cerebus and The Maxx up there too :)

I might turn my boxes backwards so the comics are ithe dark. Not right away though