• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northstar Collection

158 posts in this topic

Except forthe assurAnce hat the "next guy" will too, so you'd be safe.

That though is operating on the assumption that I will at some point sell the comic. But I really can't see ever being dissatisfied with a comic in NM+ condition so I should be buried with it. Therefore, why pay more now since I really won't be getting money back out of the comic?

A Curator 9.6 will almost always go for more than another 9.6, even another pedigreed 9.6.

I'm sure you're right. Personally though I'm opposed to paying more for an identical book just because it's pedigreed.

(shrug)

For a guy who seems to be into raw books, you seem to place a surprising amount of faith in the CGC label.

I don't really mean two slabbed 9.6 books though. I mean two books identical in my eyes.

And I most certainly am willing to pay more for a book with more eye appeal. In fact, I buy comics precisely on the basis of eye appeal. If a Curator therefore exhibits more gloss/brightness/whiteness, I'd certainly be willing to pay more for the Curator.

(shrug)

But I really can't see ever being dissatisfied with a comic in NM+ condition so I should be buried with it.

And I most certainly am willing to pay more for a book with more eye appeal. In fact, I buy comics precisely on the basis of eye appeal. If a Curator therefore would exhibit more gloss/brightness/whiteness, I'd certainly be willing to pay more for the Curator.

(thumbs u

Even if you aren't flipping a book, which is increasingly rare nowadays! ... The book will someday be sold, so your higher price paid will have the same price protection as when you buy it is allim saying.

Unless you will really be buried with the book!?!?

I assume that this condition quality would not run across all of the Curator books. I have about a dozen of the Curator Gold Keys and Charletons from the 60's and I don't remember them being in such eye-popping shape.

What period of the 1960s are your GKs and Charltons from? The later in the 60s they are, the less the Curators will stand out from other pedigreed or non-pedigreed copies since the level of preservation across the board tends to be so much higher. I have a Curator Gold Key Tarzan from 1969 and I have to admit it doesn`t stand out compared to many other NM books I`ve seen from the late 60s.

I believe they were all from the mid-60's probably ranging from 1964 to 1966 or something like that.

I brought the Total War #1 even though I already had a HG copy since I absolutely love the Mars Patrol run. I figured it would be nice to have a pedigree copy, except it turned out to be not noticeably nicer than the copy I already had in my collection. I also picked up the first issues of forgotten books such as Judomaster, Gunmaster, Naza, and I really can't remember what else was in the group which I had brought. I wish I could just find where I had put these Curator books. doh!

Whatever the case, it was obvious that these titles were not in great demand as the ad was already dated by the time I got around to responding to it and Hauser still had other Curators available for sale quite a few weeks later. This market activity and their price point would probably confirmed what you are saying about the later Curator books. (thumbs u

Even if you aren't flipping a book, which is increasingly rare nowadays! ... The book will someday be sold, so your higher price paid will have the same price protection as when you buy it is allim saying.

Unless you will really be buried with the book!?!?

No, I won't really be buried with my comics, but truthfully I'm not much worried about what happens after I'm dead.

(shrug)

tth2,

I own the Pacific Coast MGA #80 and thought it was superior to the Western Penn copy when I saw that copy come up for sale-in fact the last time I looked at my book I remember thinking "why isn't this a 9.8?"-so if the Curator blows it away it must be unbelievable! Sorry no scan but I bought it off of Pacific Comics Exchange and it's old label goodness.

tth2,

I own the Pacific Coast MGA #80 and thought it was superior to the Western Penn copy when I saw that copy come up for sale-in fact the last time I looked at my book I remember thinking "why isn't this a 9.8?"-so if the Curator blows it away it must be unbelievable! Sorry no scan but I bought it off of Pacific Comics Exchange and it's old label goodness.

i think you just gave me a heart attack.

(worship)

tth2,

Congrats, you have a beautiful book. I still remember the eBay auction when PCE sold it.

I see we've discussed the book before, way back in 2007. Admittedly my memory of the PC copy is from that long ago eBay auction, so I am prepared to stand corrected that it in fact is not blown away by the Curator copy. Care to share a scan with us?

A Curator 9.6 will almost always go for more than another 9.6, even another pedigreed 9.6.

I'm sure you're right. Personally though I'm opposed to paying more for an identical book just because it's pedigreed.

(shrug)

For a guy who seems to be into raw books, you seem to place a surprising amount of faith in the CGC label.

And I didn`t say anything about paying more for a book just because it`s from a pedigree. I said paying more for a book because it`s a Curator. All I can say is that if you hold a 9.6 Curator next to another 9.6 copy of the same book, in the majority of cases, particularly for earlier books, you will see that the books are NOT identical, except for the label.

Look at the initial scans that were posted in this thread. I have NEVER seen an FF 4, 5 or 12 that looked as nice as those copies. I`ve seen quite a few NM copies of those books in my time, which structurally might be as good or even better than the Curator copies, but they never popped the way these copies do, especially the 5 and 12. I was gratified to see that these books have now been identified as Curators, which helps to explain why they are so stunning.

good points Tim

the prized charactersitic of these Curator FF's is the juicy freshness of them- just compare the FF 3 Curator to the 9.4 and 9.2 copies in Schmell's auction- they jsut look old and faded in comparison

Yes, "pop" is a good word for these books. I always look at the whites of a cover to see how fresh they seem -- these are spectacular. Check out the twelve-cent price circle on the FF #2 and you'll know what I mean...the color and gloss must count for a lot.

Would love to see them in person before the auction, but that's unlikely to happen. Gorgeous, though...

Dan

I`m noticing 4 of the Curator FFs already slated to be back up in the next Heritage auction:

17, 18, 33 and 73

I only opened up the 17 preview listing and saw that it was the same serial number as the original sale, so it doesn`t look like a resub or anything.

I`m noticing 4 of the Curator FFs already slated to be back up in the next Heritage auction:

17, 18, 33 and 73

I only opened up the 17 preview listing and saw that it was the same serial number as the original sale, so it doesn`t look like a resub or anything.

It looks like they're all still in the same slabs.

My guess would be a welching winning bidder.

I don`t think so, otherwise Heritage would`ve removed the prior sales from its database and the prior sale wouldn`t show up in the current listing description.

My guess is that the prior sale also still appears in GPA?

i wish i had the funds - id try to buy the whole run and keep it intact- would love to know more about the OO and their collexn

Aye, there's the rub! The vast majority of us don't have the funds for these books--even seasoned collectors so it makes no difference to me whether they use exteneded bidding or not though I do see its advantages For me and I imagine for many collectors I'll settle for aesthetically pleasing 6.5s- 8.5s at much more affordable prices. And Fantastic Four is one of my favorite Marvel titles. I'll admit, though, that this collection has some beautiful books. Congrats to those collectors who win.

SLR

Someone may have wanted to see the books in hand to compare to similar copies....some folks can afford to do that but don't have the time to spare to attend a viewing. Perhaps their current copy was nicer....but that FF 18 would be hard to beat. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u