• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage no longer accepting Paypal or Credit Cards

43 posts in this topic

This was posted in a thread in General, as I know a bunch of y'all never venture there, I thought it prudent to post it here :

I just received an e-mail from Heritage and noticed this at the bottom:

Starting January 1, 2012, we will not longer be accepting Credit Cards or PayPal as a method of payment. Methods of payment that are accepted will be check, echeck, bank wire, cashiers check and money order.

This is a huge blow for me, 75% of all the art I've bought over the last 6-7 years has been from Heritage, I also tend to buy some Silver Age books every Sunday auction.

It looks like my buying days from Heritage are over as credit cards or paypal are the only feasible way I can pay from my part of the world.

The other payment methods either don't work from Belgium or would cost me a ridiculous fee each time.

Really bummed about this, as Heritage has been my go-to-guys for comic art for ever.

I've looked in to opening a US bank account, but that looks like it's impossible as well as I need a social security number for that :(

Re: I need a social security number for that [opening a bank account]

You need a tax id number. In the US, for most folks, that is their Social Security Number. However, you can - generally - get a tax id number that can be used for the purposes of opening bank accounts from the IRS.

By no means am I an expert, but I believe if you look for ITIN on this page you can find the procedure. A hassle, but ...

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96696,00.html

Also, does Heritage say that the check must be drawn on a US bank?

Re: I need a social security number for that [opening a bank account]

You need a tax id number. In the US, for most folks, that is their Social Security Number. However, you can - generally - get a tax id number that can be used for the purposes of opening bank accounts from the IRS.

By no means am I an expert, but I believe if you look for ITIN on this page you can find the procedure. A hassle, but ...

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96696,00.html

Also, does Heritage say that the check must be drawn on a US bank?

Thanks...I will look into that.

I've also never knows a US bank accepting a European check, or at least not charge a high percentage of the check as cost.

There might also be a friend or two who might be willing to be your agent in the US. I have one in the UK who handles some European matters for me, and I handle some of his US stuff for him...

You know your own business best. Maybe it's good to have someone in your back pocket in case Heritage pops out with a 'gonna-hurt-if-I-don't-have-this-one' opportunity...

There might also be a friend or two who might be willing to be your agent in the US. I have one in the UK who handles some European matters for me, and I handle some of his US stuff for him...

You know your own business best. Maybe it's good to have someone in your back pocket in case Heritage pops out with a 'gonna-hurt-if-I-don't-have-this-one' opportunity...

Oh, I have plenty of friends on the other side of the pond who take care of my stuff for me, I never have Heritage ship anything to me, always to one of my friends and then I pick it up in person when I'm in the US.

But I've always been able to pay for it from my side...

This was posted in a thread in General, as I know a bunch of y'all never venture there, I thought it prudent to post it here :

Starting January 1, 2012, we will not longer be accepting Credit Cards or PayPal as a method of payment. Methods of payment that are accepted will be check, echeck, bank wire, cashiers check and money order.

This really seems really backward-thinking to me. Paypal is here to stay in a big way, and not accepting credit cards? That's rinky-dink little-sign-hanging-in-the-door stuff. You can't run a business that depends on the internet without access to Credit Card purchasing power and convienence. It just isn't done.

This policy can't be because of defaults or fraud - it must be a fee issue. This really tells how much banks are increasing their fees in the US - and presumably around the world?

Andrew

Actually, I believe the credit card fees are decreasing and that is why the banks are trying to make up the revenue by charging more fees to their customers.

I am thinking it is a charge-back/fraud issue. But maybe that is my thinking because I was defrauded on ebay a month or two back....

Actually, I believe the credit card fees are decreasing and that is why the banks are trying to make up the revenue by charging more fees to their customers.

Meaning, the volume of fee-able transactions is dropping so individual fees are rising to offset the dropoff? Possible. (Sounds like movie ticket prices)

This is a massive mistake, and I expect them to realize the severity of this grave error in about 6 months to a year when they realize how it affects bidding.

+1 (thumbs u

This is inevitable.

AcA

This is a massive mistake, and I expect them to realize the severity of this grave error in about 6 months to a year when they realize how it affects bidding.

Totally agree.

If I were a consignor to the Feb auction I'd be pissed

Totally agree.

As a buyer it might have good deals

I believe when I was in Belgium, I saw ING branches? I think it's an internet bank that you can use, I know my friend's son banks with them and he's located here...good luck!

I don't think I'll be bidding on Heritage's stuff, myself. Besides the fact it's safer to use a credit card, sending a check is going to back up shipping way too long.

Totally agree.

This reminds me of Netflix' hubris, and I think this is going to end similarly.

Totally agree.

+1. I've never bought anything off Heritage, all of my OA have been purchased through fellow boardies, or a few sites directly with the artists' reps. But next year I was planning on purchasing 1-2 pieces, and will not be able to now due to this.

This is a huge blow for me, 75% of all the art I've bought over the last 6-7 years has been from Heritage, I also tend to buy some Silver Age books every Sunday auction.

It looks like my buying days from Heritage are over as credit cards or paypal are the only feasible way I can pay from my part of the world.

The other payment methods either don't work from Belgium or would cost me a ridiculous fee each time.

Really bummed about this, as Heritage has been my go-to-guys for comic art for ever.

I've looked in to opening a US bank account, but that looks like it's impossible as well as I need a social security number for that :(

Can you put up a link to the post in comics general?

This decision is an insane business move

Well, guess I'm done at Heritage. I'm just not comfortable buying online without the protection of a credit card (not to mention the points!).

I suppose folks who spend 5 and 6 figures probably don't use plastic for those purchases.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn of either a partnership or some kind of spin-off to handle the kind of stuff they are putting in the sunday auctions. If they want the expensive, high grade keys, they have to move the other stuff for their buyers somehow. And the people who buy in those auctions probably want paypal or credit card.

Maybe they will move this stuff to MCS or ComicLink . . .