• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage no longer accepting Paypal or Credit Cards

43 posts in this topic

This was posted in a thread in General, as I know a bunch of y'all never venture there, I thought it prudent to post it here :

I just received an e-mail from Heritage and noticed this at the bottom:

Starting January 1, 2012, we will not longer be accepting Credit Cards or PayPal as a method of payment. Methods of payment that are accepted will be check, echeck, bank wire, cashiers check and money order.

This is a huge blow for me, 75% of all the art I've bought over the last 6-7 years has been from Heritage, I also tend to buy some Silver Age books every Sunday auction.

It looks like my buying days from Heritage are over as credit cards or paypal are the only feasible way I can pay from my part of the world.

The other payment methods either don't work from Belgium or would cost me a ridiculous fee each time.

Really bummed about this, as Heritage has been my go-to-guys for comic art for ever.

I've looked in to opening a US bank account, but that looks like it's impossible as well as I need a social security number for that :(

I was wondering why they kept trying to get me to sign up for echeck.

I use to pay by MO and right up until they stopped sending mail invoices with return envelopes. Then I had to pay with Paypal.

I wonder if I was one of the last die-hards. :D Just got use to using Paypal after a few years and now I have to go back to MOs? lmao

They sending out invoices in the mail again?

I suppose folks who spend 5 and 6 figures probably don't use plastic for those purchases.

They're probably the folks who are most able to put that kind of purchase on a credit card, because they've got uber-high credit limits.

But actually, Heritage have always had a cap on credit card purchases--$20K if memory serves.

An update was posted in comics general.

I just received the following correction from Heritage:

Please Note: Starting January 1, 2012, we will no longer be accepting Credit Cards or PayPal as a method of payment for invoices over $2,500. Methods of payment that are accepted for invoices above that amount are check, eCheck, bank wire, cashier's check and money order.

An update was posted in comics general.

I just received the following correction from Heritage:

Please Note: Starting January 1, 2012, we will no longer be accepting Credit Cards or PayPal as a method of payment for invoices over $2,500. Methods of payment that are accepted for invoices above that amount are check, eCheck, bank wire, cashier's check and money order.

That's a recent change. I was on their website last night and the $2500.00 cap was not mentioned. Glad they turned that one around....Thanks Heritage!

Just after I made this thread I took the bull by the horns and emailed Jim Halperin ( Co-Chairman of Heritage). This is the reply I got

Hi Allan,

Thanks for emailing me. You’ll be happy to know that we have made an exception for long-time clients like you.

In fact, I have instructed our Credit Department to always accept MasterCard, Visa or PayPal from you for amounts up to $2500 per invoice.

Alternatively, if you’d like, you can fill out a credit application and we will ship your auction winnings up to your credit limit immediately after each auction, and you can just send us a check, eCheck or wire anytime within 15 days.

How does that sound?

All the best,

Jim

I think they got a few of these and revised their policy. Not to be a negative Nancy, but I would have rather seen a $5K limit...but I guess it's better than nothing.

I suppose folks who spend 5 and 6 figures probably don't use plastic for those purchases.

They're probably the folks who are most able to put that kind of purchase on a credit card, because they've got uber-high credit limits.

But actually, Heritage have always had a cap on credit card purchases--$20K if memory serves.

It was $10K, actually. A while ago, I had an order under $10K that I tried to pay by credit card online, to which the HA.com system responded whether I would like to pay by eCheck instead and save 3% off the invoice. I did that once or twice, though the eCheck discount disappeared soon after. The last time I had an invoice under $10K, the system said I could NOT pay by credit card (online anyway; perhaps if I had called they would have taken it), and I ended up paying by eCheck. So, I think they've been trying to wean people off of credit cards for a while now.

I've looked in to opening a US bank account, but that looks like it's impossible as well as I need a social security number for that :(

This really blows chunks. It's not enough to have a seller's/buyer's premium of 30%, now no credit or Paypal?

Chrom, have you checked around with your local banks? I realize it's not a border country like Canada but some Canadian banks offer an honest to goodness US account (on US soil) through Canadian banks.

Just wonder if any banks out there might offer something similar.

EDIT: just saw Chrom's email from Jim. At least they did something to help out.

If I understand well one can still use paypal or cc for purchases under $2500 and if you're an old customer with a great display you can get some exception above that amount...so lots of boardies can expect the same treatment, new collectors with huge collections as well I'd say..??

It shouldn't be that bad !!!

What I'd be more afraid of is seeing $1K pieces raise to $2.5K because of that new data..

If I understand well one can still use paypal or cc for purchases under $2500 and if you're an old customer with a great display you can get some exception above that amount...so lots of boardies can expect the same treatment, new collectors with huge collections as well I'd say..??

It shouldn't be that bad !!!

Alas no, first there was an exception for loyal/old/good customers who would still be able to use CC/PP up to $2500. From what I gather they have now changed the policy so that everyone can use the CC/PP up to $2500. But no credit cards or paypal for anyone with purchases over $2500.

TD bank is a Canadian bank and has several branches in the US.

I am a TD Canada Trust customer, and have found for the purposes of banking the the states, TD Bank and TD Canada Trust are two completely different banks.

No help there.

Wow. Craziness. I suppose I can send 'em a money order in US funds, but it's a pain in the keister. And they'll have to wait until I can get to the post office, and then wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Open a US account and send them a cheque. I didn't need a SSN for my account. :gossip: